FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Recently separated and not coping well

BBUser44
Community Member

Hello

I broke up with my partner of over two years a few days ago due to him completely shutting down on me for the last few months. I am struggling to cope. At times I have trouble breathing and I feel so empty. I am so confused and angry and can't stop crying. I moved a long distance away with him to start a new life and now I am alone with no family or friends. He was supposed to be my best friend. I moved out without furniture or a car and have had to start again. He said he would never leave me with nothing if we ever broke up so I trusted that and sold my furniture and my car. I haven't had any contact with him but I am so tempted to try and find out why he did this to me. I know this will not help and only prolong the pain. How do I stop feeling like this? I do know in my heart it is for the best but right now I can't imagine having to move on without him in my life 😢

11 Replies 11

pipsy
Community Member

Hi there. It's so sad your counsellor cancelled at this particular time. It would feel like another 'kick in the teeth'. It's good you recognize it was not a personal attack on you. With your ex partner 'moving on', unfortunately this is typical behaviour for these type of people. I was recently 'scammed' from an o/seas unknown. He said all the right things to make me feel special, then put the 'bite' on me. When I refused, the amount of verbal abuse was unreal. Conmen are like this, they see what they believe is an easy target and they use every trick in the book to get what they want. They appear charming, loving, till you say 'no', then they will resort to anything including, in your case, stealing. From what you say, he's already moved on to his next target/victim. He most likely will try the same scenario with money/physical/emotional problems. He sounds as though he's used his emotional problems as a weapon for sympathy. Sorry about this, but he is no great loss. Nothing you have said re: his mental state can justify his actions. Everyone here has emotional problems to some degree. To use them like that is not on under any circumstances.

Lynda.

Nik76
Community Member
Hey, I know just how you feel. After 24 years my wife and I have separated. She took all the furniture and kitchenware and left me with the house and anything she didn't want. So I'm sitting here on the floor with our two 6 month old cats who have been caught up in the middle of this. I too don't know how I'm going to go on, I'm upset and angry but the biggest heartache is what happens now with the cats.