FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My adult son......

Lea1
Community Member
I have a 21yr old son whom has been in trouble since early teens. He has in the past committed crimes, spent time in jail, self harmed done drugs and cannot hold down a job. He has anger issues and when confronted with any situation he doesn't like flies off his rocker. His anger has always scared me. My husband and he dislike each other and so I have been a referee for years. We've spent countless hours and thousands on phycologists but nothing has worked. He lays about all day staying up all night. He has moved in and out of home several times. I am so tired he makes me think aweful things just so I no longer have to deal with him anymore. My husband is away alot sometimes for months and I've raised 2 boys a majority of the time alone. He blames everyone else for his situation and problems, nothing is ever his fault. My husband just gets angry calls him lazy and wants to kick him out. I don't want my son living on the street and that is where he will end up as he has nowhere else to go. Centrelink won't give him money due to him living at home according to them his father earns too much. I am also responsible for my elderly grandmother and disabled 65yr old uncle whom thank goodness have care homes where they are safe and warm. My sons constant problems with life in general have got me down in the past almost to suicide.

beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

12 Replies 12

trustlife
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Interested in your line, "He can be such a nice kid". When, how and how long ago. This might be your little window here. The next time it is open you need to jump at the opportunity. You say he only goes out with you. No friends I assume. Then get him any you out with your husband more often. When he's in a normal state (albeit briefly) here's what you need to do. You talk to this normal nice part by prolonging the experience. Keep the subjects clear brief and always relating to a time when he was at his best. He'll be like a puppy dog at this stage and you need to coax him and comfort him. It will take practice. Don't, under any circumstances, bring up the drugs or anger issues. We're not ready for that. Discuss with your husband the top 5 best memories the 3 of you have and use those. The more you can do this, the more he will begin to see who he really is. Please keep in touch and let me know how you go. Remember, during these sessions, both you and your husband must be clear calm and carry no fear or worry.

Lea1
Community Member
Thank you for the advice, I wish I could say my husband could be part of this but unfortunately due to work he will not be available for another 7 weeks now. He was away from feb till may home for 2 weeks away again for a week and as of sunday will be away for next 8 weeks so it's all up to me. My son and I do remember holidays or daily adventures with fondness and we have lunch or afternoon tea out together just the two of us. It is very nice and I love it but he ruins it so quickly with bad attitude and language so then out of embarassment I just want to go home. I will keep trying though when he's ready to talk to me again as he is angry at me as usual so we are on day 3 of him not talking to me. To be honest it feels good as it's quiet and peaceful but at the same time hurtful. He angry because I reminded him to get resumes ready and make a list of motorbike shops in area to hand them into so he can get a job/apprenticeship. He found that advice annoying and started yelling at me so as you can understand why the whole silence thing is a small blessing at the moment.

trustlife
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I guess it is your show so. OK it is silence and I suppose take it as it comes. Keep trying and keep me updated. Remember it's only a tiny window we need to start. When you have it open it's your son. When it's shut he's not so try to ignore it. Sounds like you're doing a brilliant job under the circumstances and I do believe it will get better.