FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Long distance relationship - sending and reviving gifts.

LosingFaith
Community Member

Hi people,

I’m interested in finding out how “others think” in this situation.

If you were in a long distance relationship and your partner sent you a handmade gift for Valentine’s Day, you get the parcel delivered on the day but you weren’t available to sign for it, Do you;

A - Pick it up the next business day?
B - Pick it up mid week?
C - Pick it up a week later
D - Don’t pick it up?

And why did you choose your answer?

Then... if it was the opposite way around, and it was you that sent your partner something, specifically handmade for them and they say they’re picking it up “this arvo” and don’t end up picking it up, how would it make you feel?

16 Replies 16

Long distance relationships are hard. Always wondering.

Thanks again Quirky.

Hi Geoff,

I actually confronted her about it and she apologised and said she had been extremely busy, didn’t have time and she’d pick it up on the Monday that’s just gone. She also said that she had other parcels to be picked up too. She did eventually pick it up after 10 days. 😔

I also mentioned how hurt I was to her mum. Her mum even said it wasn’t a very nice thing to do and asked if I wanted her to confront her about it. I just said it was okay and that I had confronted her about it myself.

I am still a little upset that she waited so long.

Hi Betternow,

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah, I realise people can be busy, but she’s not currently working. She managed to go and stay somewhere in a fancy place near by, go out to dinner with her mum, go to her regular sporting events etc. It would only take 2 mins out of her day to have picked it up. Like I said to Geoff, she finally picked it up after 10 days.

She celebrated valentines day last year, by having a red rose delivered to my home. I too sent her one.

This year she just said she was sorry she didn’t send me anything, but she has something in the making that she will be sending me, which hadn’t been finished and it will get to me in good time. I really didn’t feel like an important part of her life.
Even just a quick card in the mail would have been nice.

Hello LosingFaith, I worry that 'what she is making and to be sent in good time' will actually happen or hoping you will forget all about it.

I do hope you receive at least a small token to show you some appreciation but I have my doubts I'm sorry to say.

If she was genuine a present would have been sent straight away.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

Recently I have been told that I have 30 days to vacate the property I’m renting. She tells me she wants to help. I think she expected me to move there with her. Which I told her one day I would. I just can’t at the moment.

As soon as I mentioned that I can’t move there just yet, (this is 9hours or so away.) She sent me a message saying goodbye and blocked me from all social media etc.

Only days before she was telling me I was “the one” and she would “never leave me stranded.”

Well, now I have my answer. 😢

I rang up to book myself into counselling due to everything that has happened. I’m a broken person now.

So sorry to hear the latest twist in your long distance relationship LosingFaith.

What I have learnt from your tale is that gut instincts are key when analysing a relationship situation. As I reread all the threads, you could see the ominous turn the story was taking.

I’m glad you haven't wasted any time and booked yourself in for some counselling. I‘m sure I speak for many others in wishing you all the best.

Hi betternow,

Thank you for your reply and for your kind words.

Yep, trust the gut.

Yeah, I need counselling after all that’s happened. I’m no good to anyone if I’m in this state.
I need to look after myself.

Thanks again.
xx