FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lonely - Partner of Addict

Emma90
Community Member

Hi everyone.

My partner of 5 years has just relapsed. He relapsed last year and did a stint a few months ago in rehab for 3 weeks but last week relapsed again and it is bad. We live with his parents and they are threatening to kick him out. I actually find myself hoping they do so he will hit rock bottom and get the help he needs. He has struggled with addiction and schizophrenia for over a decade and his ex girlfriend killed herself (drugs as well).

I am not posting here for advice but I am very lonely and I have no one to talk to about this as everyone in my life is very judgemental and I just want someone to chat to so I donโ€™t feel so alone ๐Ÿ˜ž please reach out if you want to chat to me.

15 Replies 15

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Emma90,

Thank you for coming here and I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Yes please feel free to post whatever is going on for you here. Our community is very supportive and incredibly empathic. I volunteer on these forums and post several times a week. As mentioned, I'll not give any advice but simply lend an ear. Hope that's enough.

You should know that if at any time you would like to one of the counsellors here over the phone or online via chat you can go here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/talk-to-a-counsellor 

Bob

Emma90
Community Member

Thank you for your reply Bob.

His parents seem like they are falling for his lies that it was only a once or twice time thing. I donโ€™t know what to do to get him to realise he needs to get himself help. I feel very alone and wish there was more support available.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Emma90~

I'd like to join Bob in welcoming you here to the Forum. I think it is a good idea of yours to come, and no, we are not judgmental. In fact from the details you have given us I'd be completely stuck as to how to judge anyone you mentioned.

It is obvious your partner has a alcohol use disorder, and a most difficult mental conditon as well to try to cope with. The fact he recognizes the problems and tries to deal wiht them is in fact something pretty praiseworthy. If you add in the effects of being close to someone who took their life it is a hard row to hoe.

His parents have all the dismay of seeing an offspring in such difficult circumstances and may not be able to ride the inevitable ups and downs and unreliability. Actually as a parent I'd be wondering where I went wrong - an inappropriate but natural worry.

I've left you to last because I wanted ot think about what you are going through . No doubt the building of hope during rehab, the crushing disappointment when the wheels fall off and most probably a lot of misplaced feelings along hte lines you 'should be able' to steer your partner right. Add to that the possibility if your partner is forced to leave the home there may be some doubt as to if you still have a place to live.

Actually although it is very tempting to think homelessness might do him good, my own experience is that  having a home is an advantage to build on, homelessness simply creates more problems.

Talking to people that do not understand is bad for the soul, leaving one feeling more isolated and alone. Can I suggest you give Al-anon a try if they are in your area? It is there to support people who have to care for someone who has an alcohol use disorder. It is not an organisation that tries to 'cure' anyone with an alcohol problem, it is to simply support loved ones and carers and let them see paths to relief and less stress.

I would like it if you came back and talked some more

Croix

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Emma90,

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear that your partner's parents are susceptible to his lies. I'm not too knowledgeable of services that support those affected by drug and alcohol misuse but I did some online research and found this website. This is a directory of services and also provides online counselling and support for those in NSW: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/aod/Pages/contact-service.aspx 

I hope this helps. Keep us updated on how you're going. I hope your living situation is going okay. Croix has offered some great advice. 

Bob

Fern42
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Emma90,

I just want to acknowledge how great it is that you have reached out when feeling alone, that in itself demonstrates alot of strength. I can see that this is a very challenging time right now, with a lot of worry and concern which is understandable. I think it's so important to be caring for yourself while going through this difficulty. What do you enjoy doing, that gives you feelings of comfort? Whether that being listening to music, going for a walk, talking to friends? Focusing in on yourself can help so much with feelings of loneliness. We are also here any time to chat, so hoping that might be some comfort too. 

Emma90
Community Member

Thank you Croix. It is actually a drug addiction. I wish it was alcohol sometimes!

I know that probably sounds pretty silly to say.

I have looked into aa, na and family anon and the meetings are too far away, itโ€™s crazy only regional areas have the option for Skype. I would join if they had this option.

Thank you for your response 

Emma90
Community Member

Thank you Fern.

itโ€™s really hard to find the joy in things at the moment. I usually find joy in my work but I find myself struggling there too at the moment. Canโ€™t sleep or eat properly. Things are very tough at the moment.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Emma90~

Thanks for coming back and saying more. It really is hard in a rural area to get support, particularly if your internet is not ideal. You did mention lack of Al-anon, who actualy seem to have one Zoom group at least in each state (Nar-anon does have Zoom meets too).

If you were to try any of these out I'd suggest not using the 'hybrid' ones as I've found the people in the  room at one table do not always appear clearly or distinctly to those on computers.

I'm not suggesting these organizations are a perfect fit, however if you form your own judgment you may find them of some use in alleviating isolation if nothing else.

Actually I'd be very interested in your impressions if you do go down that track

Croix

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Emma90,

Im sorry that yourself and your partner are going through this.

I understand that your partners parents may not fully understand the impacts of someone whoโ€™s a drug addict.

When someone is an addict itโ€™s the drug thatโ€™s driving this person, they are under its spell which is something hard for their loved one to watch because they can see that itโ€™s destroying the person.

Loved ones can tell the person that they need help but the addict needs to want the help.. they need to become aware within themselves.

The addict themselves can feel helpless within themselves because of the cycle they are stuck in.

Kicking your partner out wonโ€™t help it will only make things worse for the addict.. I know itโ€™s hard but what this person needs is love and understanding and encouragement that they can beat this unrelenting cycle and get their life together if they want better for themselves.

Wait until this person is sober and then have a non judgemental conversation together.

There really is hope that this person can recoverโ€ฆ. have they seen a gp In regards to their addiction? There are treatments available.

I understand that the schizophrenia would also be hard for your partner to deal withโ€ฆ.. This is something that also needs treatment.

There is hope โ€ฆ. You may want to google Kyle Quilly Quilausing he was a meth addict and spent time in a high custody jail he walked out of that jail sober and with a clean heartโ€ฆ he may be able to give you and your partner HOPE that the addiction can be beatenโ€ฆ.