FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Husband left me

Odette-1
Community Member
Hey all. I really need to vent in a safe space. Last week my husband of 15 years left me and our son and our dog. He says he loves me but is not in love with me and needs to figure out what he’s going to do with the rest of his life. My son and I were in tears and he conducted himself so coldly. Basically said that how he feels is more important than us. I am so tired and so scared. I’ve been a stay at home mum for 19 years and have no real work experience. I’m scared I won’t be able to provide for my 13 year old. He’s turning 40 next year and I’m thinking it might be a mid life crisis. I had one but I didn’t turn my back on my family, whenever I tried to leave he’s manipulate me into staying. Getting my friends to text me to tell me that I was doing the wrong thing. But now that he wants to go, there’s no stopping him. I just don’t know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially from those who have come out the other side.
24 Replies 24

I can relate to so much of what you have said in your posts, and it's absolutely not fair. I've dissected every inch of my relationship and still can't make heads or tails of it. When someone pulls the rug out from under you, everything stops making sense. And yes, I've cried as I've apologised to the dog and cat, who keep asking me where he is. It really is the most disgusting feeling, and I'm very sorry you're experiencing this. Good on you for being so strong at this time too though.

Pulling the rug out aptly describes the situation. I’m not as emotional as I was last week (thank goodness). And I’m so sorry Katy that you’ve gone/going through something similar. It’s the worst feeling. Like there’s something so wrong with you that they can’t stand to be under the same roof as you. I do know what I don’t want. And that’s to never experience something like this again. After someone does this, how can you ever trust that the next time you have an argument over something minor, that they won’t throw their hands up in the air and do it all over again? Im not allowing him to come home to stay before Xmas is over, even if he begs. I don’t want to put my son through a roller coaster of emotions again. He is hurt, but I want to minimise future damage. I just have to keep going, try counselling and hope for the best. At least if he’s not staying here, he can’t leave ya like that again.

It’s been a few years now since I posted on my husband walking out. Worse was yet to come with my best friend dying 6 months later. I would rather deal with him leaving a thousand times over than losing her. 

Besides her passing, I can say that I am glad he left. I got the courage to find work, go on dates and have met someone that is much better for me. Please if you’re struggling, know that things can get better. ☺️

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Odette,

I’m so sorry to hear about the passing of your best friend…my deepest condolences..

Its always so heartwarming to hear when someone has moved forward despite all the hard times they’ve been through….

Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful and inspiring post…which will give other people going through similar to what you went through, some hope that life does get better for them…

Hugs sweet Odette..🤗🤗.

Grandy.

Hugs beautiful lady..🤗..you 

Grandy..

Odette
Thanks for the update. I am sorry your friend died. 
Your comments and experience will help those who are struggling in a similar position .

I wish all best in the future.