FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Daughter has mental health issues and is blaming the family

Thelma_k
Community Member

Hello.

I am looking for some advice.

My adult daughter is suffering an eating disorder and has also recently been diagnosed with anxiety and OCD. She has had a few admissions into a re-feeding program and is currently there again. Every time I speak with her she won't give me any information which I respect however, at the same time she accuses me for not understanding what she is going through. I have offered to see the psychiatrist and/or the psychologist with her or alone to get more information and strategies to help her but she won't share them with me or allow me to speak to them. She tells me it is all because of everything I've said or done in the past and that I don't validate her feelings. It's not that I don't validate them but at times I must admit she does accuse me of things I've said which I haven't. I am more than open to take on her feedback but not when it's outrageous.

I have told her that it may be best I don't be around her at meal time (she tells me I trigger her eating disorder). I should ad that I am a healthy weight but I don't eat large meals as I have a medical condition where I feel better if I eat small meals regularly. She insists I eat a large meal with her but I just can't.

She will contact me when she want's something ($) from me or wants me to do something for her (I never accuse her of this but it makes me feel used). I want to help her and I am trying to understand what she is going through. I feel that she wants me to understand but at the same time shuts me out and shuts me down whenever I try to understand. Has anyone been in either her position or my position, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you in advance.

10 Replies 10

That’s ok Thelma k 😊 I’m happy to help you in any way that I can.

I hope you have had a good day.