FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Am I being unreasonable

Kakon
Community Member

Hi Everyone, 

I am in a long term relationship with my partner. We always have very different hobbies and lifestyle. Sometimes it creates bit of bickering but nothing serious.  However, now he wants to go for 2 weeks on a 'surf trip' with his mates and don't want me to join. Going on a holiday together probably was the only thing we both enjoyed together as a family. 

Moreover, I have been to places where he wants to go and it is full home young girls, beach parties and drinks and no family. Even though I don't think he is going to cheat on me but having temptations like that makes me uncomfortable. 

I have shared my feelings with him and he said I am being unreasonable and unfair. 

I even offered to go with him but seems like he doesn't want that either. He is like either he goes with his mates or don't go at all. I feel like now if he doesn't go, he will just have resentment against me. And this will bring more problems in our relationship. 

I am not really sure how to deal with this situation 😕 

1 Reply 1

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hard to say what you should do, but I would start by putting yourself in his shoes and seeing his side of this.
If you were him, and had some special interest (of which partner clearly was not in favour), how would you proceed?
You have gone along with things in the past but not enjoyed this aspect, so would attending be constructive to your happiness or cause tension creating a negative experience for all concerned?
Is there a compromise or middle ground where you could be a part of, but also separate from, the activity in question?
I went on a cruise ship with an acquaintance once, but made it clear that was an arrangement of convenience. We crossed paths occasionally and caught up over various things, but by not being obligated we could pursue our own particular interests without inhibition or guilt.
Maybe this could work for you also if you go but seek out your own place of comfort, thus permitting his quality time with mates but hopefully availing you the opportunity to 'check in' occasionally to allay your fears.
Based on your current lifestyle differences, space appears to be one of the parameters in your relationship, but a little negotiation might find agreement to satisfy all needs.