FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm starting a new discussion

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I'm starting a new discussion because I am feeling totally lost with this new set up.

I can' locate any of the old threads I used to feel comfort in reading and occasionally contributing to.

I don't feel at all welcome in this new set up, far from it, I feel more disconnected than ever while at the same time people can see everything I have ever written, but I am having trouble contacting others!

To anyone else who feels a little confused and unwelcome, I totally understand!

I am disorientated and hope to feel more orientated somehow!

I receive notifications, but when I click on them, I can't even find the notification.

The Newest to Oldest option doesn't seem to work.

I have commented on a couple pf other posts about my struggles with the new set up...but can't find those posts anywhere!

It seems to me that if I start up this new discussion, then I should be able to find it under my own profile?

Maybe I will just chat with myslef here for a while until I either figure this new system out of give up!

75 Replies 75

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Geoff,

It sounds like you are struggling with the changes. I am finding it harder to find old threads I used to enjoy and participate in. 

I hope you are able to understand and fathom the new set up a little more each time you use the forum. It can be hard to adapt and to learn new technology and systems. I know my mind struggles at times. You should see me trying to navigate on line learning and training! It really does my head in!

Do you have certain threads you are still able to connect with so your sense of confusion and possibly frustration can be eased a little by the familiar.

You have helped so many people Geoff, thank you for all you have done for so many over the decades.

Kindest regards from Dools

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Doolhof,

Forgive me if i'm mistaken thinking you had asked somewhere, about a video Sophie_M/BB has, which is an introduction to this upgraded forum?

Anyway, I found in 'How can we improve the Forum?' (by Sophie_M in Introduce Yourself; Welcome and Orientation), where Sophie_M says:

"We do have a ‘How to use the Beyond Blue Forums’ video, which you can see here. We’re having a look into making this more visible, as well as building in a few more video tutorials, and improving our FAQs so that Community Members can find what they’re looking for more easily." (July 18 2022).

I sincerely hope BB does exactly that. The video is short, very basic, too. I think the FAQs could be overhauled as well, with more explanations of the terms used, for those of us not acquainted with terms used online, in social media, technical terms too

I feel for people whose first language is not English.

I enjoyed reading that you are knitting blankets & giving them away. That's a lovely thing to do. I'm sure the people who have a blanket you made appreciate your gift. This year has been so awfully cold. 💖💖💖😺 I would have liked to have been able to do something like that. I tried to learn, but made so many mistakes! & I fon'y know how to keep the stiches from being too tight or too loose as I went along. 

I hope you have some warm sunshine where you are today.

mmMekitty

You asked about where James had seen their own name? I expect, next to any post they have written within Discussions. My name is there, too, atop the post you are now reading. Clicking on my name there also would take you to my profile. Try it & see.

Hi Doolhof,

Thank you for starting this discussion. We know it can be really hard to adjust, so we appreciate you sharing your journey with the community and taking the time to get to grips with the new features. We can hear it’s been tricky getting used to this, alongside other challenges your dealing with in your life. Thank you for sharing what’s going on for you.

Just a heads up to anyone new arriving at this thread – if you’re sharing your thoughts or feedback on the Forums upgrades, please share to the How can we improve the Forums? discussion. If you’re looking for our FAQs, you can find them on the left-hand side of the page whenever you’re on a Discussion (FKA Thread).

I can' t locate any of the old threads I used to feel comfort in reading and occasionally contributing to.
Clicking on your name next to one of your posts takes you to your Profile, if you scroll down, you’ll see ‘Discussions you're following’.
People can see everything I have ever written, but I am having trouble contacting others
That would be disorientating! We’re sorry that’s how it feels right now. We are reviewing the Profile page feature (where your anonymous posts are grouped together) and will keep the community looped into our progress in the Re-designing and upgrading the Forums area. If you have any concerns about specific posts, or privacy generally, please reach out to us at modsupport@beyondblue.org.au
I didn't find the BB video very helpful and don't know where to access it again!
We’re looking into how we can make this easier to find, as we think that’s a really good point about it being hard to spot. 

mmMekitty – You make a lot of good points on this topic and we hear you. The FAQs need improving, we’re working on it. We also are reviewing how we can make our content more accessible so thank you for highlighting that issue, too.

Thanks for sharing your journey here, Doolhof! A big thank you to everyone here for keeping us posted on how it's going, and helping each other out as you adjust. 

Kind regards,

Sophie M

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Doolsy and all ☺

I'd very much like to help you and others struggling with the new forums if I can. 

Atm I too have multiple issues navigating but have worked some parts out. 

If you've subscribed to having email notifications - click/tap your profile picture above then settings. 

After reading an email keep scrolling down there maybe more.

If you want to reply , tap/click on the highlighted title on that discussion email you're reading which will take you directly to it. 

That's another way. 

It's a link. 

I'm wondering as our dear mmkitty reminded me that I hadn't thought of, regarding not being able to find discussions you've been involved in.

Thanks hun 🐺 she suggested to search in the search bar -The little magnifying glass near your profile picture. 

Its a circle with a little handle. Click/tap that...

If you can enter a key word or name of the persons discussion it might help you find where you're wanting to be. 

Alternatively if you like, say here what the dicussion (thread) was about and anything about it and I'll try to find it then pop a link up here so you can click on it to get there. 

Yes I too am slowly recovering from poor mh. That alone is really hard work making everything so much harder in these times 🤗. The change has thrown a lot of people by the sounds of it which is a real shame as so much works been put in.

I imagine this has also been very stressful for bb and hold hope as soon as possible it'll be running smoothly with what I've seen some good improvements with sounding like work on some things people aren't happy about too which will be a boost later for us. 

Somewhere I read some of our I think operating systems aren't handling the change so well but they're working on that too. Hoping it soon all irons out. 

Doolsy I and SO many appreciate you for many reasons. 

Thank you for being who you are and being there for so many people. 

Often you're in my thoughts wondering how you're getting on. 

We'll get there huns and everyone ☺

🌱

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Dools, thanks for your lovely comment, it's very much appreciated.

It's not so much change that I don't like, I just feel that a model should have been shown to long term users to get their opinion first, before it was it was introduced on a National scale, then all these queries could have been 'ironed out' and then people wouldn't be unhappy.

Geoff.

Life Member.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dools and all 

I also am finding  it confusing. I don't know whether to go to profile,  settings or notifications. I find some threads are there multiple times. I can't remember names of all the threads I was interested in ,& also feel disconnected.  It leaves me feeling lost & empty.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Seems I may have broken with protocol again, just read this message from Sophie-M: 

"Just a heads up to anyone new arriving at this thread – if you’re sharing your thoughts or feedback on the Forums upgrades, please share to the How can we improve the Forums? discussion. If you’re looking for our FAQs, you can find them on the left-hand side of the page whenever you’re on a Discussion (FKA Thread)."

Cheerio to you all

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi CMF,

I was so confused too. But I can tell you these things:

At the top of this website's pages, you can see your profile picture, & to the left of that, you can see what I believe is a blue bell-shape. The bell-shape is the button for Notifications, & if there are any for you, a number , indicating how many there are, appears. If you click on your profile picture up there, a short llist of options appears. These ar, Profile (takes you to your profile page; next is Settings, & last is Sign Ou, because you must be signed in to see your profile picture up there in the first place.

If I haven't explained clearly, just try clicking/tapping & see what happens. You won't break anything.

Oh, you can also go to your profile page by clicking/tapping your name next to your profile picture, near the post of yours next to mine, here, or wherever you have posted a reply, in any Discussion. 

Warmly,

mmMekitty

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dools

this is a great thread . I think people are encouraged to share ideas on the improvement thread as well as here. It is good to know I am not alone with try8 g to find new posts

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry I accidentally posted too early. 
Yourthread is letting people express their problems.James gave me an idea to follow the first post ones I have replied. I will try that. 

i still do not know where to find the unanswered and new posts.