FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm starting a new discussion

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I'm starting a new discussion because I am feeling totally lost with this new set up.

I can' locate any of the old threads I used to feel comfort in reading and occasionally contributing to.

I don't feel at all welcome in this new set up, far from it, I feel more disconnected than ever while at the same time people can see everything I have ever written, but I am having trouble contacting others!

To anyone else who feels a little confused and unwelcome, I totally understand!

I am disorientated and hope to feel more orientated somehow!

I receive notifications, but when I click on them, I can't even find the notification.

The Newest to Oldest option doesn't seem to work.

I have commented on a couple pf other posts about my struggles with the new set up...but can't find those posts anywhere!

It seems to me that if I start up this new discussion, then I should be able to find it under my own profile?

Maybe I will just chat with myslef here for a while until I either figure this new system out of give up!

75 Replies 75

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Dools, you are not alone in feeling this way, I am bemused by what has happened and although the intention was meant to good, we won't be able to get used to them because there are more unhappy members than those who accept this.

When long term volunteers are dissatisfied then something needs to be done.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for dropping by. One of my problems is that I don't seem to be able to locate the message Sophie_M sent me with a link to the video showing and explaining some of the changes. Maybe I am missing a simple way of connecting to that, I don't know.

I also know my mental health is fragile right now, so coping with changes and trying to nut this is out is more difficult.

Hope you are managing okay Geoff. Regards to you and kind thoughts, from Dools.

Hi mmMekitty,

I like your comment about needing clear step by step instructions, as I do too.

At work when I have to do something different on the computer, I have to ask the staff to be patient with me while I write everything down...each little step. They know now not to assume I understand what they are talking about as I don't.

If I have never been shown how am I supposed to know!

I will read your post again and try to follow some of the steps you have mentioned.

Does anyone know if there is a simple step by step written version on how to use the forum and if so how do you find that?

Hope you have a good day .

Hi Summer Rose,

My mind struggles at times and becomes very overwhelmed. Just going to the supermarket looking for shampoo and conditioner can cause a melt down...to many options can be stressful for a tired mind. 

Like mmMekitty mentioned, a set of clear instructions with all the steps would be beneficial to me on how to navigate this new system.

Hope you are doing okay. 

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi James,

Thanks for the tip about the "Follow Post" option, and also where to find the posts once I have followed them! I have struggled to find any clear and precise examples of how to use the new forum. As I have mentioned in previous posts I don't seem to be able to find the connection to the explanation video anymore.

To be honest, I am struggling with my mental health. Maybe that is a discussion for a different thread...or do we not call them threads anymore?

I'm confused.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Beaser,

For some people who understand technology, computer systems and who are adaptable, capable and open to change, this new set up may be brilliant!

I'm just wishing there had been clear and precise written information somewhere or maybe a more descriptive video that could have shown the changes more easily.

Maybe I am missing that information? I did see a video but can't find it again. 

Hopefully my mind can muddle through. I hope you are able to make some connections and slowly navigate your way around the new forum.

Using the "Follow post" sounds like an option that may work as long as we know where to find the posts we are following!

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Dools, I think when people don't know how to use these forums, then of course it's going to affect our mental capacity.

The impact on people wanting to post a comment or reply to someone may have altered considerably, that's what we don't know.

Sure changes needed to be made, but we weren't expecting anything like this and when you spend a quarter of the time helping/responding to people than you usually did before, there is a problem.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Hi Em,

Thanks for dropping by. If you have a look at James post in this discussion (as I think threads are now being called) you will see that he finds his Follow Post selections when he clicks on his profile ( I think that is what James meant!) He did say when he clicks on his name, not sure where he find his name!

Yes, I can use the search button, I just need to try to remember the names of the old threads I enjoyed reading or connecting with. I have not been on the form frequently so do not remember all the old threads I enjoyed.

As for me, I have found myself working full time in a job I find stressful at times. People seem to think it is okay to yell at me. My skin is getting thicker and unfortunately with part of that I don't try to assist people as much when they are angry now, I just suggest they leave.

I have been crocheting blankets and giving them away. Crochet is familiar. I am going to try a new pattern and bought some yarn on special to make myself a blanket.

Walking and taking photos while out and about calms and soothes my soul. I sometimes send my husband a message after work saying I will be home late, I find a quiet dirt road and go for a walk. 

I've not had a Dr support me with my mental health issues for 1 1/2 years now. They state they don't do mental health care. The Drs in our area from different centres are not taking on new patients. If I want to see a new Dr I will have to drive an hour down to the city and see if any centres there take on new people. It can take 9 weeks now to see a Dr in our area!

I'm trying to hang in there the best way I can by myself. Some days I am just exhausted! 

The floods are something I can just not comprehend. It is so dry usually in our region. Wishing you all the best.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dools

I hear you about a tired mind and feeling overwhelmed.

I set aside some time this morning to read through various tips on how to use this forum. It’s so wonderful that the tech-savy among us are stepping up to help. But boy did I realise how far behind I am as far as technology goes. I feel like a dinosaur.
With the pressures of work, caring for someone with a MH condition and life in general, I spend most of my life tired and now just feel exhausted facing what I need to learn—never mind doing it! Think that’s my cue to shut down the technology and get out for a walk!

Hope you have a good day and kind thoughts to you 

Hi Summer Rose and to all reading,

Are you able to share the title of the Discussions/Threads that you have found helpful to explain the new forum set up? One of my problems is people use terms I am not familiar with so I have no idea how to implement what has been suggested! Oh dear! How to start when you don't understand the lingo!

Having a tired and busy mind doesn't always work when trying to learn something new. Good on you for taking time for yourself and going for a walk.

I sometimes walk away from the office at work, even if it is for another trip to the bathroom. 

I hope to spend some more time after work on the weekend looking at the forum and trying to nut it out.

Today I am going for a walk after work as I will be in the office by myself...we used to be a team of 4 people!

Thanks for your kind thoughts and best wishes, hoping you have a day you can look back on with a sense of peace and you can recall moments of thankfulness, regards form Dools