FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Told its just all BPD

buzzer32
Community Member

Hello

So recently after a victim of family violence incident I was diagnosed with BPD despite having no issues with anger, self identity or obvious implusive behaviours . During diagnose hospital team explain to me what I'm having is not family violence and my reactions of fear and distress is not normal response to my family actions.

This one of most confusing diagnose I have as would thought being physically assaulted by family would be family violence and fear and distress be very natural responses, but my diagnosed team ensured it's just BPD acting up. Further it was suggested that cause of BPD maybe unknowingly I pretend be gay just to upset my family. It was also suggested it's my duty to ensure relationship with family is stable and it can be done even when they are attacking me.

This so strange be told after years abuse I getting actually all my own fault cause of BPD and i need fix instead of family changing abusive behaviours.

2 Replies 2

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Buzzer32,

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent situation with your family. Thank you for entrusting us with your story, welcome to the forums.

If you're in need, White Ribbon have a 24hour counselling service available on 1800 RESPECT, or 1800 737 732. Berry Street are another good organisation on 03 9429 9266. 

Do you have any other loved ones who you would feel comfortable confiding in? Talking things over with a trusted friend or even family member (somebody who's not directly involved) may offer you some relief and perhaps peace of mind, as they may have relevant insight into your circumstances too.

It may also be helpful, if you're comfortable, to have a chat with your GP, therapist, or psychologist. They may be able to offer you some professional advice and resources to help you out. Verbally expressing a difficult situation can also be quite therapeutic, as well as giving you greater insight into what support you may need. You may also find it useful to discuss any concerns or confusion you may have surrounding your diagnosis.

People tend to view mental illness differently to physical illnesses as they're less visible, but our minds need to be treated with the same care, respect, and patience as our bodies. If you've been struggling with the effects of others' behaviour, it is important that you remain kind to yourself. It is not your fault. 

Please continue to chat with us if you need further support or resources. We're here to offer our support.

All the best, SB

The hospital that diagnosed it consulted with GP putting their view family violence is all in my head and this just BPD. Hospital care is try engage with my (violent) family as they think best I live with them