FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Recovering from a car accident

Sal81
Community Member

My husband (Dean) was home on his first RNR from FIFO and on the Sunday 28th February we decided to do a bit of gardening before heading to the shops with my mum too (visiting from QLD). On our way home we decided to get some video's to watch for the afternoon/evening. We reversed parked at the video car park, always on the end as we had a new car. It was a hot day and my mum and I got a ice-cream and Dean a cool drink. Dean went to the car to cool it off. I followed put my hand bag in the back seat (behind the driver). I said to Dean "we won't be long, just finish our ice-creams in the shade". I closed the door and walking past the front of the car and I suddenly heard this noise; I turned and couldn't believe my eyes !! At that point - 28/02/16 - 2:45pm - after 5 weeks of being married - our lives changed in seconds !!

An out of control driver was laughing at speed and t-boned our car, when I turned he was launched. I was screaming !!! I yelled out to a man sitting in his car "CALL the emergency services" - I ran to the cars to ensure it wasn't going to burst into flames and rushed to Dean's aid. He was in shock. Everything happened so fast.

We rushed to emergency to were Dean had to undergo critical surgery. He was resuscitated and placed on life support transferred to ICU. Split Liver, damage to kidneys, fractured ribs/spine, smashed ankle. With many weeks in ICU/Trauma ward, dealing with the life changing event, deal with unsupportive parent-inlaws, drams with insurance companies and the list goes on.

Nearly 22weeks later things are looking up. Physio has started now after many ops, but unlikely to returning to work till the new year. Dean has to deal with the physically side and I seem to be trying to deal with the mental side.

Seeing it happen, unable to protect my husband, coming so close to death myself, now dealing with the knock on effect it has had in our life's has been challenging. Along with this we are also dealing with failed IVF treatments.

We long for a happy future with rug rats but still at the moment - day by day -

1 Reply 1

Kathryne
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sal

Welcome to Beyond Blue forums. I'm sorry to read of the traumatic issues you are facing.

Ii glad to read that the worst of the health issues are resolving. I have experienced several rear end smashes, the trauma remains ever present . I do verbalize my frustration at stupid drivers, that maintains my sanity.

Or I would never have gotten back into the drivers seat.

IVF relax, harder stated than doing. Maybe take a break from the stress and allow you both to heal then try again.

Feel free to call 1300 22 4636 anytime to talk to someone at beyond blue to clarify your feelings

Regards Kathryne