FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Darling Dog Will Be Euthenized Soon

Guest_1573
Community Member

I have a dear dog whom I rescued from a horrible place in May 2020. She is now 9 years old. She is the light and love of my life. Two weeks ago she seemed to be unbalanced and a long story short I have taken her to the vet 4 times since then. She has had numerous tests and ultrasounds and the vet is not giving me any answers.

In the last two days she has been lying in the bathroom which she never does. She has been having tremors and crying in her sleep. Although the vet doesn't know what is wrong they have put her on strong painkillers. When she has these she doesn't show pain but sleeps.

She is not drinking water and is very out of sorts. I feel it is time to put her out of this misery. The vet wants to do an MRI at a cost of $5000.00. I have spent $1600 at the vet in the last 9 days.

I am besides myself as I feel she has had a stroke or has a brain tumour yet the vet keeps stringing me along. At the end of the day I truly believe she is showing all the signs of a poor animal at the end of her life.

I am so torn. I barely sleep, I put her on my bed at night and she is often panting, crying in her sleep or having tremors. I am so upset and anxious and I guess I just want someone to make that decision for me. Which I know is not going to happen.

I rang my local vet and told them what has been going on (they were not aware as I had to take dear doggy to emergency vet throughout all of this). They were very kind and said to me that if I truly feel it is time to take here there anytime and they will look after her....

I am so scared that if I do this it might be too early? Yet deep down I know something very wrong is going on with her....I am falling apart. I love her so much. She had a terrible life until I rescued her. I hate life. It is so terrible and unfair.

I have been crying almost constantly daily. Please someone help. Thankyou.

141 Replies 141

hi Panicmerchant,

you are right about friends and family. Some people in families don't know how to show empathy and others do. It is the same with friends. We might wish that family were able to have / show some empathy to things that concern us.

It was good to read that story about your doggy friends from down the road.

I was very brave today and went on our 'usual' walk. It was really difficult. I cried so much. Everywhere I looked I could see her and remembered what happened last time we did that walk...which was when she was stumbling and acting strange 😞 I ran into five of my doggy pals and they were all so kind and compassionate. I a far from being ok though. I feel totally lost and bereft and that I will never feel ok again. I miss her so much it hurts!! 😞

Guest_1573
Community Member
I am still so devastated. I do not know if I will ever get over her. 😞

Hello Pm

I am grateful you have so many doggie pals. I know they cannot stand in for your own beloved dog, but it's good to have their support.

It was several years ago when Mekitty died, & I still have the stray thoughts about what she would be doing, where I'd likely find her, wishing for her, knowing how much her presence was a support & comfort for me when I needed . I am warmed by the fact of her in my heart & mind.

So, I feel sure it will become easier, with time, & focusing on the valuable time you had with your dog.

mmMekitty

Darling Kitty was so gorgeous..that beautiful orange fur..sweetest cat.

I have had a few conversations with 'family' (under great duress). The general consensus is that I should stop 'wallowing' and get on with it. How hilarious. Not. When I pulled this particular person up on it she backtracked big time. People are so stupid. Present company excepted as always.

I am also feeling very down about the darling doggies I have been looking after during the week. Their 'parents' are a lot younger than me. I am feeling very used. I do not expect payment or the like but a bit of consideration would be nice. She told me on Wednesday she was going away Thursday overnight. I asked if she would like me to walk the hounds as I knew they would be home alone until Friday evening. I never heard back from her. I won't go into it here. Suffice it to say...I am yet again extremely disappointed. I have never expected anything in return but to be snubbed is the last straw.

So I am back to hating pretty much everyone. I am so sick to death of humans. They are vile. Greedy, selfish, self absorbed......just yuk. I need another dog as I truly have hatred in my heart for people in general. My darling doggy pals and you guys aside of course. To be treated like I am an idiot and wallowing....when my beloved child has died...? 

I will go for another walk tomorrow. There are some people down the road and I always visited their sweet dog daily with my beloved. I felt so bad for the last 3 weeks as I didn't see her. I made the effort and saw her today. Her owners are pretty slack. She never gets walked. They said to me that I can walk her whenever I want and can bring her to mine etc...I think they are trying to get rid of her 😞 Well if that is the case I will take her immediately. They never walk her or make any effort with her. Perhaps she will be my next baby.

I am sorry people around you have been disappointing you. I know, after having so much disappointment it's easy to think everyone is like that, as uncaring & insensitive as you say, but, as the old saying goes, "don't chuck the baby out with the bathwater".

As for the dog down the road, who have been 'slack' & don't walk their dog, be careful. If their dog comes to live with you, just up the road, the dog may want to be going back. It could be very difficult for the dog to live so close to a former home. I don't need to tell you how loyal dogs can be. Maybe consider working out a schedule for when you could come & take their dog for a walk?

& I suppose, you won't even have thought, who would be responsible if something was to happen to the dogs while you are walking them?,

I wish you all the best.

mmMekitty

Thanks for your post.

Yes I too am worried about consequences of anything happening whilst dear doggy in my care....I think now it is best to stay away from that situation. As sad as that makes me...I love the little soul so much and she gets no attention 😞 so many people do not deserve pets!

I have signed up as a foster carer for a local rescue group. Will see what comes of that! I can help the dear souls out and have the support from the group as well.

xxx

Fostering animals for a rescue group sounds very interesting. I'd like to know how that works out for you. I think I'd have trouble giving them up again. I'm sure you will meet more people who do care for animals as much as you do.

mmMekitty

I am meeting a potential on Tuesday! I need another hound in my life. I like having the security of the group behind me; as a foster they cover all expenses. I need to help dogs. That is my life's cause. It is incredibly difficult. Seeing where some of these dear souls have come from...makes me want to turn vigilante. People can be so goddamn disgusting and awful. I cannot dwell on that. I have to concentrate on the good people who do all they can to help and I want to be one of those people. It is very hard and I am struggling but I will be ok.

xxx

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Those fostering dog schemes are really good and think it will be really good for you.I know people who foster dogs and cats and have had many foster animals over the years.