FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Darling Dog Will Be Euthenized Soon

Guest_1573
Community Member

I have a dear dog whom I rescued from a horrible place in May 2020. She is now 9 years old. She is the light and love of my life. Two weeks ago she seemed to be unbalanced and a long story short I have taken her to the vet 4 times since then. She has had numerous tests and ultrasounds and the vet is not giving me any answers.

In the last two days she has been lying in the bathroom which she never does. She has been having tremors and crying in her sleep. Although the vet doesn't know what is wrong they have put her on strong painkillers. When she has these she doesn't show pain but sleeps.

She is not drinking water and is very out of sorts. I feel it is time to put her out of this misery. The vet wants to do an MRI at a cost of $5000.00. I have spent $1600 at the vet in the last 9 days.

I am besides myself as I feel she has had a stroke or has a brain tumour yet the vet keeps stringing me along. At the end of the day I truly believe she is showing all the signs of a poor animal at the end of her life.

I am so torn. I barely sleep, I put her on my bed at night and she is often panting, crying in her sleep or having tremors. I am so upset and anxious and I guess I just want someone to make that decision for me. Which I know is not going to happen.

I rang my local vet and told them what has been going on (they were not aware as I had to take dear doggy to emergency vet throughout all of this). They were very kind and said to me that if I truly feel it is time to take here there anytime and they will look after her....

I am so scared that if I do this it might be too early? Yet deep down I know something very wrong is going on with her....I am falling apart. I love her so much. She had a terrible life until I rescued her. I hate life. It is so terrible and unfair.

I have been crying almost constantly daily. Please someone help. Thankyou.

141 Replies 141

Hello PM

I can feel your pain even though I didnt know 'slabrador'

She will always be wonderful.....nothing can change that...ever

my heartfelt condolences and hugs

Paul

Hello PM, my heart goes out to you and sincerely so sorry this happened, if only our pets could tell us what's wrong, but if this did happen, it would be much more difficult when their time had come.

There is nothing anyone can do to ease our pain, although we appreciate their help and we thank them for doing so, but our distress only goes away with time, but we never ever forget them and their own particular idiosyncrasies.

My deepest sorrow for you.

Geoff.

Dear Paul

Thankyou. She was such a darling, gentle, affectionate soul. I am absolutely gutted without her .

She was the best Slabrador in the World xxx

Guest_1573
Community Member

I have just posted reviews on the two vet clinics involved in this disaster. I do not feel bad for doing so. They just palmed me off over and over and cost me a fortune; all for my poor beloved to suffer and die anyway.

I have lost all faith in vets and will never get another dog as I can't see another animal suffer the way my dogs have over the past with misdiagnosis...zero care factor and the constant need for further 'testing' ($$$).

Needless to say I will not be a popular person but I truly don't care. What my darling (and I ) went through was beyond appalling. Not one of those so called professionals checked her eyes or mentioned brain injury although I had suggested it many times. All they want is $ As usual this world revolves around it and I truly hate it all. This World sucks.

Guest_1573
Community Member

Further to latest post I am incredibly upset. I am sick to death of people not recognising how special dogs are. How much they are loved. Losing her was like losing a child.

I am totally over everyone. Present company excepted of course. I don't care anymore but I have to be here for my son. Other than him...I don't care at all.

Hi Panicmerchant,

Thank you for sharing here. We’re sorry to hear you’re not feeling heard or supported by those around you. The loss of a pet can be truly devastating, please know that we’re here for you.

We are reaching out to you privately, and you can reach us directly on 1300 22 4636 or online.

Maybe you’d like to share with the community any ideas you’ve had to help remember or commemorate Slabrador?

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Panicmerchant I am really sorry for the way the vet didn't treat your dog properly.That is really terrible.I have had that experience to years ago when I told the vet I didn't have much money and the vet said to me you know you have to pay the consultation fee today.Where has the compassion gone from this caring profession?.Today I don't need to sorry so much about money but I certainly want my pet treated and diagnosed the best they can do.I just spent $900 on my daughter's cat at an emergency vet that's not my regular vet due it being at night time I had to go there.Her cat is going to be ok and found out it was an infection from another cat fight and know my regular vet would have charged no where that amount.

I hope one day you can get yourself another a pet as they bring you so much love and joy.I know you need time for it to heal.

Take care,

Mark.

Thankyou dear Sophie

I have arranged to have a large print made of my darling girl; the picture is lovely. Her smiling amongst field of flowers. I will be getting her ashes back soon. When they come we will have a ceremony for her. xx

Dear Mark

I am sorry you too had that experience. Again, lucky I have the money or I do not know what would have happened. It is the principle of the thing. Vets are supposed to care not just make money out of our and our pets misery 😞

I don't know about getting another one. I truly don't have any faith left and couldn't go through this again. For what it is worth I had a similar experience in Dec 2019 with my other beloved pooch. He went through unnecessary hell for 3 weeks just to be euthenised anyway 😞 He had lymphoma. Hindsight is a great thing. With both of my darlings I should have had them put to sleep when I felt it was time; not be led down the garden path by the vets!

Hello,

I would like to tell you that here on BB, in the BB Social Zone section, there is a Thread called:

PETS - gotta love them! Share funny, loving stories about pets and animals.

Sorry, I can't make a direct link to the Thread.

I've written some memories I have of my cat, as a way of honouring her, & have posted some there to share with others. In this way, others get to know a little of Mekitty, as I had known her.

I feel, just from what you've said here in your Thread, I've have begun to know what a wonderfully loyal & sensitive dog yours was, as much a best friend as anyone could want.

mmMekitty