FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Car accident + grief

hairclip
Community Member

Hello everyone, I was proudly better from depression and anxiety. I finally stopped seeing a therapist after 2 years of treatment. I found a good job two years ago and was overall very happy with how I've turned my life around.

Sadly tragedy strikes faster than I could respond. A very dear uncle of mine (who helped raised me) was diagnosed with bowl cancer in 2022, so in August I decided to quit my job and fly overseas to spend as much time with him as possible. The plan was I would go visit him first and the rest of my family would go once I've returned to Brisbane. 

However the 2nd day I have arrived Brisbane, we were told he unfortunately passed away. His death was more painful than it needed to be, since he contracted Covid. That mixed with late state cancer, the doctors in that country could do very little. 

I'm still extremely distraught and in disbelief about his passing. Then just when I felt I was getting better, I was in a car accident. Upon contacting lots and lots of free help...I found myself to be uninsured and fighting the insurance company on my own. I thought my car was insured but due to a huge misunderstanding and miscommunication, I'm not.

I'm unemployed, trying to find a job...grieving over a loved one (who's service I couldn't attend) and now this...my friends and family have been supportive but I'm just so stressed out. 

I'm so scared to drive now, I'm having trouble sleeping and I just don't know what I can do anymore...I'm in Brisbane alone since my family had to go attend the funeral service overseas. According to our tradition the funeral can take up to a month. 

Summary: lost a loved one, had my first accident and now negotiating with insurance company...lots of bad things happening in Feb...

2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Hairclip~

Welcome back to the Forum, you make good use of it and I hope it has been a help in hte past.

Before I say anything else I'd like to compliment you (again) on that Leyendecker avatar you have been using, it looks great. You did say before you were not aware of it's origin, it's a 1913 advert called "ARROW COLLAR AD – IN THE STANDS" Very distinctive

I know you feel overwhelmed at the moment, and given the fact you have had depression and anxiety conditions it is not surprising you have had a reaction to all those horrible events piling up on you.

I think you have more in you than you realise, and will cope with all this. You had a terrible job, and made your way to a better one. You placed your loving relation relationship with you uncle above job and stability and tried to be wiht him when it mattered most. You know what is important in life and go for it.

OK, so at the moment it might be an idea to see if you can get some professional help, as it sounds as if your reaction to the death, crash and insurance hassles has left you in need. It helped before, it can help again.

I'm sure you can find another job, and if you don't mind me saying so going back into hospitality, given your previous experience, even though easy may not suit you, and if you can hold out for something else that might be a better idea. May I ask what you ended up having as a job after your study? You did say it was something you enjoyed.

I realise your family is away for a while, is there anyone else - a friend perhaps - you can lean on at the  moment? All they have to do is listen and care.

Please let us know how you get on

Croix

Beth_123
Community Member

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult time you've been going through. It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of stress and grief at the moment. It's understandable that you're feeling scared to drive and having trouble sleeping.

It's good that you have support from your friends and family, but it may also be helpful to seek additional support from a professional. You mentioned that you stopped seeing a therapist after 2 years of treatment, but it's important to know that it's okay to seek therapy again if you feel like you need it. There are also other resources available such as helplines and support groups.

In terms of your car accident and insurance situation, it may be helpful to seek legal advice or assistance from a consumer advocacy organization. They may be able to provide guidance on how to negotiate with the insurance company and navigate the process.

Take things one step at a time and be kind to yourself during this difficult time. Remember that it's okay to ask for help and support when you need it.