FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Experienced a Casual Racist incident at my workplace.

asianaussie
Community Member

Hi, so I currently work for a spa company as a Massage Therapist, for a few months now. I happen to be the only non-white staff in this workplace. The staff have been professional, but I don't feel they like me very much.

Things had been going okay until a few weeks ago, when a customer used a toilet in a squatting position and broke the seat. Additionally, faeces and urine was also left on the floor. I was called up by my boss, for a 'disciplinary discussion'. Usually warm and friendly, she sternly informed that a staff member had reported to her about me. She mentioned that the staff said that 'I was a Chinese student' (I'm actually Australian born), and so I needed to know and respect 'Australian conducts and professional rules', going on to talk about 'proper toilet usage' and 'interacting with others'. I tried to clarify and stand to her that I was not responsible, even going as far as to give her my shoe size as proof. She didn't believe me, saying 'she wasn't sure if I was telling the truth', and as a result, ordered me to undergo 'additional training' and also be accompanied by one of the front house attendants during massages and assisting with customers.

Eventually, she reviewed CCTV footage and realised that it really was someone else, she apologised and backtracked on her actions, although she said it laughing and cheerily. But the damage had already been done. The whole team knows this and don't trust me, even some ignoring or scolding me to 'watch the mess' and 'remember to do this do that'. Although I understand I have only worked a few months, there have been others who started work around the same time and don't get the wariness and suspicion as I do. I've dealt with racial bullying, harassment and discrimination in my life, but this incident has really soured my trust with the company. Especially that they said in their T&C's that discrimination against race would result in 'action' and 'suspension'. Each day that I go to work, I feel shame, humiliation and outcasted, and I struggle everyday to feel like I fit in and trust the team again. I dislike 'standing out' as an 'Asian' and having some people point that out. But I can't leave because I'm on a 1-year contract, and I need money anyway to pay for my needs.

17 Replies 17

hi there

it is horrible what happened and although u have pain from it, thanks for sharing that u are okay overall. u are doing so well in the face of something so bad. I have to admit i have been through something similar. I relate to the okay-no-okay feeling. Thinking of u.

bluenight
Community Member

Hi asianaussie,

I feel upset with what is happening with you at work, your co-workers sound racist, ignorant among other things, I think you deserve so much better, I hope you are able to secure employment somewhere else. They don't sound like a good company to work for at all!

It also shows that you have strength and perseverance to continue to work there despite the way you were treated. I'm here if you ever need/want to chat.

All the best,

Mark

jaysak
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi AsianAussie,

I'm so sorry to hear about the blatant racism you've experienced at work. It's disgusting how they handled the situation and blamed you without investigation and making ignorant assumptions. You can report racism through the Qld Human Rights Commission - https://www.qhrc.qld.gov.au/complaints/report-racism

That might also give you some leverage when dealing with your company and your contract, if they try to terminate you. It sounds like you're doing everything you can to find a better workplace and I really hope you find a supportive and positive place to work.

I've also experienced racism and bullying in the workplace and it can really affect your mood and your health. Your health is the most important thing - please look after yourself and surround yourself with as many nourishing and meaningful experiences as you can to balance this toxicity in your life.

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi asianaussie,

I wanted to check in and see how you were doing?

We are here for you!

AnonAnway
Community Member
you should see a lawyer to sue them i'd say. maybe legalaid which is cheaper, make them pay compensation for it. they are fascists.

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Asianaussie,

It's not your fault and you're doing the right thing. Let's hope your company, the HR or management can do the investigation and correct everything, if they can't, then the discrimination claim should be considered. You can consult with a lawyer. There's a big chance to get a compensation and walk away from company with toxic culture.

Warmly,

Mark

Hi missep123,

I know this is an extremely late response, and I'm sorry. I am still at the job but there has been management changes. The old boss and some staff have since resigned and my new boss has made it clear to train staff on diversity. There have been non-white members who have been employed, and it's much better now.

I'm still not truly enjoying working here, but I'm glad there was some action done. Thank you and everyone else for your support, I truly appreciate it. I hope you are doing well too.

Hi @asianaussie!

It's no problem at all! You are completely welcome to post whenever you are able to! I know that life can get so busy sometimes.

Thank you so much for the update, I am so glad there have been management changes and it sounds like the culture is changing which is very good to hear! I'm sorry to hear that you are still not truly enjoying working there, are you possibly thinking of looking for something new?

We are here for you!