FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

(Trigger warning) PTSD after being stabbed

Guest_08B8CB20
Community Member
I feel after i was stabbed nearly 1year ago in the chest heart arterie severed , punctured left lung ,fractured rib rushed to icu injuries were life threatening,i am struggling to deal with life i live in constant fear especially around people i public i have no family support but do have friends but i feel a burden to them all, the flashbacks are out off control especially when sleeping,i dont no what to do i dont have the desire to do much in life anymore i seam to have lost interest in working hobbies even going for a surf i have 4weeks left at were im staying now and the time has come for me to ask for help as i put on a brave face but deep down im feel broken, what do you suggest would be something that could help me with dealing with this nighmare i deal with everynight i go to sleep
227 Replies 227

Hi everyone

My friend got me $20 recharge ,

Unfortunately i have already cancelled appointment .

I will check in again later ☺a friend has just popped in to say hello.

Matt i like your profile picture

Regards Jason ✌💜

Hi Matt and Crew

Hi everyone well after reading your last posts i call up 360 and im booked in tomorrow one day earlier than my original date and its much closer than to were i stay than the original date

Thanks for your kind words

Piece and love

Jason ✌💜

Good morning Mark and all

Well im about to set off on a mission to get all these appointments out off the way, im feeling a little stressed with very little energy,ankle is very painfull so i hope at the end off today i can be sure what is the best treatment for it

Plus my appointment with 360 see how it all goes will check in with you all and keep you posted around 5 pm

Have a lovely day all

Jason✌💜

Dr_Kim
Community Member
Hi Jason,

I hope you don’t mind me popping into your thread to maybe add some thoughts on your situation. 

It seems to me that you have been under all sorts of stress lately and have very little support. In these overwhelming situations, I find that most people go into a kind of primitive “fight or flight” response where they either want to run away and hide, or punch someone! These responses were great when we were cavemen and probably helped us survive out there in those primitive times, but in 2017 those responses don’t work so well and get us into more trouble.

What is needed now is to override our “gut feeling”, our initial primitive reflexes and use our big human brains to look at things more clearly. Surviving in 2017 is more complex and you need skills like patience and trust and knowing how to get people on side with you.

So, although it feels sometimes like the “wrong” thing to do, as in not your natural response …. I strongly advise you to put away your primitive reflexes and use your big human brain to do what makes you the best, healthiest version of yourself. 

That sometimes involves being patient with the health system which I agree is slow and inefficient and can feel uncaring. Don’t take it personally! Its like that with everyone. Use your big human brain to work out ways to get the best out of it for you. For example.. Being super calm and kind to your social worker at Centrelink might make her WANT to help you more and advocate more on your behalf (remember that most Centrelink staff are super stressed and overworked themselves! )OR maybe writing down a list of what is bothering you with your health . A clear list in order of priority for your GP so they know where to start and how to manage things for you. Take the list in . It may have things like 
1. painful ankle
2. difficulty sleeping
3. nightmares or night terrors
4. headaches ….
or whatever is bothering you .. These lists help the GP to know what is going on for you and in what order they need to manage things. Doctors are also often stressed and overworked, so a clear agenda may help you get the most out of your time with them. 

Once you are feeling physically stronger and less stressed and have your centrelink issues more under control, I feel you will be in a better place to tackle any further issues you have. Best to look after yourself and get strong and healthy inside before making big decisions. We all need help with this at times. Go and get the help and understand the system is not perfect ( far from it!) but its not out to upset you and use your big human brain to get the most from it that you can using modern brain skills!

Hi Dr Kim

Thanks for your insite i will definitely try my hardest to adopt you understanding of how things work in the modern day as my approach has not thankyou once again iwill let you no how things pan out at the end off the day

Kind regards

Jason✌ 💜

Hi Jase - just wishing you well for your appointments.

Hey that's fantastic to get Dr Kim's advice - and I'm really glad you see the value in trying to adopt that approach. She's here to help us all.

Looking forward to hearing from you my friend.

Kaz

Jase, great to see that you will try and adopt the advice from Dr Kim and very very happy that you have got that appointment with 360.

Mate we have all been on the wrong side of a Government agency at one stage or another so you are definitely not alone there!

Let us know how you go mate.

Mark.

Hi Mark crew

Everything went well with 360.

I just been laying down the last couple days my ankle has drained all my energy i go for my scans in the morning

Iaa i feel like doing is sleeping its hard to write this post i never felt so drainedi will let you no how things go i think everything has caught up with me

Goodnight all

Jason ✌💜

Hi Mark

This centerlink mob just dont no when to back off

​im so over all this

Jason ✌💜

Jase, brilliant to hear that 360 went well. That is really important as is great news.

Rest up - no doubt that took a fair bit of mental energy to get through so it is really important for the next few days, that you eat as best you can, drink lots of water and rest your brain. Think of you have just run a long way, you rest your body after that so it can recover and cope moving forward. Same goes with your brain.

This won't be that easy to do but i reckon if you concentrate most of your energy on 360 and what you have to do there and as little on Centrelink. Centrelink is just going to drain you at the moment but this is not to say drop it all together. Do what you have to do but try and not let the negative thoughts of Centrelink over take the good experience with 360.

Remember Jase, you are a warrior and warriors adapt and overcome, I have full confidence that warrior Jase will adapt and overcome this latest issue.

Mark.