FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

This bipolar life

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Are your moods are like an elevator with no control buttons? Mine are.

Ground floor ... I feel normal, content, just quietly getting on with ordinary, everyday life, loving my family and friends. This is as it should be. And maybe there's nothing wrong with me after all. Live.

Going up, top floor. Oh look! There's a shiny thing! I want to sing! Let's go buy stuff! Let's have a big party and invite the world! What could possibly go wrong! Woooooo hoooooooo! Play.

Going up (a different day) top floor. What do you mean you don't agree with me! I'm right! Why don't you think like me? Keep up! How can you be so illogical? I'll f-ing shred you if you don't do what I want! Rage.

Going down, lower ground floor. Flat, listless, can't be bothered. Can still function but it's a drag. Cope

Going down, basement. I'm never getting out of bed again. I'm useless, worthless. Total idiot, how could I ever imagine I could do anything, nothing ever goes right because I'm wrong. I'm a burden to everyone. Hide.

Welcome to my bipolar world. It's always been my world, but it's only recently I've seen it for what it is. About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression during one of my 'basement' times. I had a lot of lower ground floor times too, on and off, and I kept out of the basement (so I thought) with alcohol. Until that took me into the blackest ever basement with only one obvious way out. Having survived doing something very dangerous I realised I had to stop drinking or I really would die.

I never took much notice of the playful times or the anger, that was just me, I was fun sometimes, and sometimes I was a devastating bitch. Ha! Deal with it people!

Well, yes, but in time the elevator started going up and down too quickly and, as I became more aware and more knowledgeable about mental health I realised this wasn't good. Doctor. Diagnosis. Bipolar 2. Lithium.

So, I've started this thread in the hope that other bipolar folks will join me, to share experiences and strategies. In my 'beginners' understanding, we are different from other fellow travellers of the back dog. While we experience depression as many others on this site do, the hypomanic or manic ups and, for some the rapid cycling that can happen, are experiences unto themselves.

I want to learn more, and I want to share with others. I hope my fellow elevators will join me here.
BTW, it's a ground floor day in my head today! Yay!

Love

Kaz

10,686 Replies 10,686

AWWWW HELLL NO!!! I'm not a fan of that stuff either asdff. 

I do handle things a whole lot better these days since getting the meds right etc, but, it doesn't mean it's right!!! 

I've had a guy in one of my gym classes be a bit covertly mean to me. Comments about my strength, my personality etc. And conversely chases me out of the class to have a nice chit chat. He isn't like this with anyone else. 

He is very socially awkward. Definitely has autism. I'm like dude... if this is flirting you have it wrong. EESH!!! 

But yeh, making unsolicited comments about potentially sensitive subjects = NOT COOL!!!

Oh dear Velvet, I feel for you. Have you seen the show Love on the Spectrum? I find this show sweet. I do think as they are a bit younger i.e. Under 30 they have had social cues taught to them, there is also a “Love Coach” or similar on there. If I was in your shoes with the gym man, I would be rebuffing him. Has anyone heard of Rejection sensitivity? Apparently us bipolar and ADHD folk suffer from it. 

Quirky, I think medically speaking they don’t have bipolar or ADHD. In the case of bipolar it’s takes roughly 10 years to diagnose. For me that was a hell of a lot of psychologist sessions, I was diagnosed in 9 years. If you present with more of the mania/hypomania it might be quicker to diagnose. I just thought I was depressed and then severely depressed. In the case of diagnosis it’s rather expensive to get treatment, so there are loads of undiagnosed people out there. I know of someone who I see social, sporadically as I can see there is something there. She is rather like me, in some cases I can hide my illness. So yes I recognise parts of my bipolar brain in others. 

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

I was diagnosed at 16 with 15 mins of a chat to psychiatrists and a ten min talk to my parents . I had had about 10 mths of symptoms.

I saw a show about people who had been addicted to drugs. The counsellor said they were behaving as teenagers even though they were in their 30s or 40s . This happened when your emotional maturity is interrupted by drugs or by mental health issues.
That was me from 16 to 30 I missed out all the normal relationship maturity  and so I have had trouble in relationships. Just a thought , not sure if anyone can relate. 

Velvet thanks for your posts .They are so informative. 

Wow Quirky, a totally different story to my diagnosis. I have done some silly things due to being unwell and said some regretful things. I am the type to overshare and share my problems. 😮I try not to “air my dirty laundry” sometimes it just comes spilling out. However, I’ve been told by my Pysch that “people can’t read my mind”. So I am a cliche and I feel I am high maintenance emotionally. 

I am well acquainted with my condition and traits... and that of neurodivergent conditions. All my best humans have autism and / or adhd.

Or bipolar.

We all know medical gaslighting is real. You can have traits, but do you fulfil the dsm5 criteria? **shrug**

I'm a little bit adhd.

I'm a little bit bipolar.

These coments diminish the real life challenges of having conditions of a neurodivergent nature.

Quirky, good info. This may explain why I am in my 40s and still a teen at heart.

MH from psych / emotional abuse. 

And perhaps substances as well. 😶

Hi folks, just out of hospital. 4 days turned into 4.5 weeks. Lots of misinformation and communication.Non weight bearing on my foot for another 2 weeks at least.Hospital stuffed around with my psych meds. Only took a month to get it right as they were PRN meds.Most nurses were great , some were shockers.physiotherapists were caring.So happy to be home and back here

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Aries  I am glad you are home but sorry you had a long stay in hospital. I hope you start to improve soon 

Welcome home Airies, you were missed on here and at home I’m sure. 

It’s cold where I am and it’s going to rain for ten days, according to the radio broadcaster.