FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

This bipolar life

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Are your moods are like an elevator with no control buttons? Mine are.

Ground floor ... I feel normal, content, just quietly getting on with ordinary, everyday life, loving my family and friends. This is as it should be. And maybe there's nothing wrong with me after all. Live.

Going up, top floor. Oh look! There's a shiny thing! I want to sing! Let's go buy stuff! Let's have a big party and invite the world! What could possibly go wrong! Woooooo hoooooooo! Play.

Going up (a different day) top floor. What do you mean you don't agree with me! I'm right! Why don't you think like me? Keep up! How can you be so illogical? I'll f-ing shred you if you don't do what I want! Rage.

Going down, lower ground floor. Flat, listless, can't be bothered. Can still function but it's a drag. Cope

Going down, basement. I'm never getting out of bed again. I'm useless, worthless. Total idiot, how could I ever imagine I could do anything, nothing ever goes right because I'm wrong. I'm a burden to everyone. Hide.

Welcome to my bipolar world. It's always been my world, but it's only recently I've seen it for what it is. About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression during one of my 'basement' times. I had a lot of lower ground floor times too, on and off, and I kept out of the basement (so I thought) with alcohol. Until that took me into the blackest ever basement with only one obvious way out. Having survived doing something very dangerous I realised I had to stop drinking or I really would die.

I never took much notice of the playful times or the anger, that was just me, I was fun sometimes, and sometimes I was a devastating bitch. Ha! Deal with it people!

Well, yes, but in time the elevator started going up and down too quickly and, as I became more aware and more knowledgeable about mental health I realised this wasn't good. Doctor. Diagnosis. Bipolar 2. Lithium.

So, I've started this thread in the hope that other bipolar folks will join me, to share experiences and strategies. In my 'beginners' understanding, we are different from other fellow travellers of the back dog. While we experience depression as many others on this site do, the hypomanic or manic ups and, for some the rapid cycling that can happen, are experiences unto themselves.

I want to learn more, and I want to share with others. I hope my fellow elevators will join me here.
BTW, it's a ground floor day in my head today! Yay!

Love

Kaz

10,797 Replies 10,797

asdff
Community Member

Hi All, I feel like one of those inflatable people that that have to advertise on top of businesses, with the arms that flail about. I am up and then down, up and then down. Even though I’m medicated, I do the things the experts say to do. Gosh it’s exhausting! 

Airies, yet again I feel I could have written your post. Queen of  catastrophising over here, it’s my go to thought pattern. I try and refute those thoughts but nope they are my first train of thought.

Velvet, how very exhausting. You are so strong and very admirable. I do wish work and union would give you a fair go. 

Quirky, how are you? Keeping warm, I hope. The cold makes my moods worse.

asdff
Community Member

Wanting to add that when I am physically unwell, it makes me mentally unwell. Is this you too? 

It’s coming up time to another year around the sun. I get down and reminisce about when I was a go getter and had dreams. Now my dreams involve getting through the day and celebrating that.

I cancelled my union membership. 

Work well that got interesting. The person who I believe has been behind the toxicity of this place has been removed. The director has been in a round about way sacked. Contract not renewed and job re written. 

Not upset one little bit. I do hope the culture changes a little bit for the better once he's out !!!

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Asdff
 When  I am physically rundown  and tired  I am susceptible to being mentally well and well.

I Am often called a drama queen as I catastrophise  a lot and often told to just chill

Velvet, 

I hope work environment improves a bit and soon.

Hi all,

just got knocked back re seeing a psychiatrist due to my bipolar. Referred back to my GP. Only hope is in a private admission. Go figure even with private cover. Purchased something on EBay from the UK. Item didn’t turn up and seller went from being civil to rather abusive. Never seen anything like it.Just wait till I give feedback. Wife says don’t bother but its like waving a red flag to a bull.

asdff
Community Member

Why are our thoughts relentless. Like sh$t up!!! Honestly if I could take the batteries out of my head for a few hours I would. 

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

I get annoyed when people say just let it go. I would ruminate even more.

i understand asdff

Two peas in a pod Asdff. Constantly in overdrive. I crave and try to have a routine and then it all goes to crap. Some bushes are blowing in the wind. I find this really annoying atm. To others maybe not.

No one gets us like us.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

asdff, Aries, 

I understand both of you.

I want routine then I mess it up then i wonder why I think too much/

I want to find my off button but all I do it is turn my thoughts on to maximum!!!