FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

This bipolar life

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Are your moods are like an elevator with no control buttons? Mine are.

Ground floor ... I feel normal, content, just quietly getting on with ordinary, everyday life, loving my family and friends. This is as it should be. And maybe there's nothing wrong with me after all. Live.

Going up, top floor. Oh look! There's a shiny thing! I want to sing! Let's go buy stuff! Let's have a big party and invite the world! What could possibly go wrong! Woooooo hoooooooo! Play.

Going up (a different day) top floor. What do you mean you don't agree with me! I'm right! Why don't you think like me? Keep up! How can you be so illogical? I'll f-ing shred you if you don't do what I want! Rage.

Going down, lower ground floor. Flat, listless, can't be bothered. Can still function but it's a drag. Cope

Going down, basement. I'm never getting out of bed again. I'm useless, worthless. Total idiot, how could I ever imagine I could do anything, nothing ever goes right because I'm wrong. I'm a burden to everyone. Hide.

Welcome to my bipolar world. It's always been my world, but it's only recently I've seen it for what it is. About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression during one of my 'basement' times. I had a lot of lower ground floor times too, on and off, and I kept out of the basement (so I thought) with alcohol. Until that took me into the blackest ever basement with only one obvious way out. Having survived doing something very dangerous I realised I had to stop drinking or I really would die.

I never took much notice of the playful times or the anger, that was just me, I was fun sometimes, and sometimes I was a devastating bitch. Ha! Deal with it people!

Well, yes, but in time the elevator started going up and down too quickly and, as I became more aware and more knowledgeable about mental health I realised this wasn't good. Doctor. Diagnosis. Bipolar 2. Lithium.

So, I've started this thread in the hope that other bipolar folks will join me, to share experiences and strategies. In my 'beginners' understanding, we are different from other fellow travellers of the back dog. While we experience depression as many others on this site do, the hypomanic or manic ups and, for some the rapid cycling that can happen, are experiences unto themselves.

I want to learn more, and I want to share with others. I hope my fellow elevators will join me here.
BTW, it's a ground floor day in my head today! Yay!

Love

Kaz

10,734 Replies 10,734

Definitely affected by the weather. Warm here and sunny ( sorry) 22 degrees but feels warmer.Gather it’s cold back home but that’s ok. Got a lot happening when I get home medically physically and mentally. The oversensitive part comes with territory. I struggle with having a thick skin.Quirky just finished a biography on Marilyn Monroe, a good read but she never stood a chance with her own battle with MH and it running through her family 

My routines got all of wack and I’ve been helping a family member. One of my children is in a painful stage. You know when everything annoys you and you are irritable that is me, most of the time. 

Asdff that me I find things annoying and I am irritable.  I am called a grumpy old woman.

I usually appear as quiet and thoughtful but at the odd time sarcastic quirky rears her true feelings  I smile and say it was a joke. 
Airies

yes  Marilyn was born in an era when woman were mainly valued for their beauty. I like biographies and memoirs. I read a book about a John Cade the doctor who found the value of lithium in treating bipolar. Fascinating.

My employer let me down. The union I pay for help also let me down.

I needed questions answered no one wanted to. Why? Accountability. 

Union = I cancelled my membership after being fobbed off.

It's a really long story but it's too late now. No one helped when I needed it. 

Everyone was more concerned about themselves and money.

My safety and due process was not important.

I have contacted worksafe.

Velvet

I was taught to trust unions but I am annoyed at how they let you down. I hope worksafe can help you.

They finally got back to me. 

My employer stuffed up. 

Duh.

Now what's the point when I'm likely going to be cleared in 3hrs to resume life as normal?

Fffffff. 

Velvet 

how do you keep up your faith in fair work  processes?

This is unfair. 

Velvet, sounds like a toxic work environment. You keep bouncing back but I’m sure it’s draining. Back from overseas. Reality check 7 degrees at 4 am after a 14 hour day. Got a bug and feeling not so flash. It’s so so cold and I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck.

I don't have faith at all. When greed and self focussed agendas are the norm, no faith at all. 

I've been catching up on 6 weeks of chores. My Dr said I'm healing extremely well and to start gently moving back to normality.

It's been cold here too Airies. Brrrr. I hope you recover soon from the bug.

Detectives have been investigating some cold cases over here. I know because they've interviewed people I know. They're not the suspect. Their friend is. Me =  😐 what??? The.... yeh... 

Hi All,

I guess everyone is hunkering down for Winter. How is everyone.Me I’ve got so much medical stuff happening. All good apart from a high reading for something. All night I kept thinking I’ve got the dreaded C. Do others find they catastrophise things. I’m finding the cold challenging. Walking s ok but even with 4 layers on the bike I’m still cold. 
I’m waiting for a psych appointment but they’re far and few between even with private cover.

The system is stuffed