FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Not in a good space

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
It's like a feeling just bubbling up to the surface. It's panicky and disgusting and I dont' know what to do with it. There's no thoughts associated with it. It's a feeling. A really gross one. I called the Suicide Call Back service. I didn't find them helpful. What do you do? What helps you?
1,405 Replies 1,405

Hi CS

Nice to see you here 🙂

Yes, my ex came over hoping to have his physical needs met. I think his new partner lives a few hours drive away, so getting his needs met mid week must be challenging (and about to become more so!). I'm not sure why I was so polite about it. Perhaps I got used to him treating me like garbage. We had a cuppa and a chat, which was pleasant enough. Then he left and I broke down. I felt like such a piece of rubbish that I had to take a pill to calm down. Last night I was brave and messaged though, and asked him not to come around again, and I feel better for having done so. Hopefully that's that now.

And - I don't think you're a nut job at all. I have OCD behaviors, but they're quite mild I suppose, and they also fluctuate with anxiety. Perhaps for you it's trying to have control over something, when everything seems so out of control. Does that sound right? And yes, it could certainly be channeled into worse things! Does it make you feel better once the room is clean? It's quite interesting if you don't mind me asking. BTW I'm a messy person! I always tell people my home looks like my brain - chaos!

Gosh, that's a difficult position with your daughter. I imagine I'd feel the same way you do. Have you been able to chat with her about it? I guess it's not going to be a sustainable option over the longer term (of the degree).

Speaking of degrees... I seriously can't wait until mid semester break. With everything going on no-one can concentrate anyway. 2 more weeks but, eek. Last semester was a shambles because of my personal dramas, now this semester the world has got personal dramas. My grades are not looking promising!

Well I'm off to the shop. It's late here so hopefully no-ones around. It's not quite ghost-town like here yet. I think different states are on different stages of shut down, and we're the wait awhile state so it hasn't quite made it here yet. Things do get weirder every day though. But it's good to remember that it's weird for everyone, not just those of us with mental health challenges (always makes me feel a bit better anyway). 🙂

Hugs and good thoughts, Katy xo

Hello Katy,

I hope you don't mind me saying "well done lass" texting your ex to stay away, that took strength.

How did your asset mapping walk go? Did you get it done in one walk or is it something you're doing over a number of walks? I'm sure Stormy would be loving it, especially going to lots of new places with new smells.

I have been reading along, but haven't chatted much as I find tertiary education something of a mystery as I left school having got my leaving certificate (what is now year 11) back when only those going to uni did form 6 (year 12) . So I've been out of my depth with chat about masters etc, but I am learning things which is nice.

Sending you huggily hugs & belly rubs for Storm

Paws

Hi Katy, Just thought I'd drop by and say hello. Hope you're doing OK. I'm off to get my car fixed this morning, it'll be nice to have the break light working again!!! Take care girl, you are doing great with Uni and your ex etc - good on you! Furry hugs from Mr Sam ooo

Hi there Katy,

You're such a smart cookie - this cleaning thing I have is definitely so I can feel some control over stuff, your completely correct there. I feel like I am not in control of anything in my life, zilch and zero. When I do that ritual I get a sense of calm for a bit, very short lived maybe half a day. I am not on any AD's anymore (they had more side effects than benefits so I stopped taking them) but when I was on them the cleaning thing became more balanced, I nearly was able to run a household like a normal person. That was really the only benefit I had from taking AD's. Unfortunately they didn't seem to do much for depression and panic attacks in my case. Maybe I will try another type of med in the future, I am being encouraged to do so by my GP.

Huge pat on the back to you for sending that closure message to your ex. How dare he 'pop' in to see you for the reasons he did. These things are so complicated and messy and hurtful and you have done so well to get on with your life as you have. My ex is awful too. Very abusive and toxic, mean and hurtful person who I stupidly spent 15 years with. When we broke up I wrote pages and pages of feelings and thoughts down to purge it out and then burnt it. It was a symbolic act of getting rid of all the baggage and to be quite honest it felt very soothing. Onward to better things for you Katy girl, but I understand the journey to get there is never that simple. I suppose its one of those situations where we really have to be kind and patient with ourselves.

I hope you have an awesome day. Calmest of vibes sent from me to you xo

CS

Oh, the daughter/uni scenario- I shall return and have a chat about that with you another time...

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello

Sorry to have not replied, though the hugs and thoughts were much appreciated. I'm still on a rollercoaster it would seem. "Complicated, messy and hurtful" is quite right, thanks for understanding x

I never found meds to be beneficial, though it's years since I tried any. I found the side effects awful, and the only benefit to be a numbing effect, which wasn't worth it for me. Each to their own, and there may have been improvements since, of course.

Paws, quite understandable if you're not familiar with uni things. I wasn't until I started my degree either. The asset mapping will need to be done over quite a few weeks as it's a big job. Interestingly, yesterday some students shared photos they'd taken of local assets that have been cordoned off due to the virus - playgrounds, skate parks etc. So it's a very different concept, trying to "build community" at the moment.

So, to refer back to a conversation we had previously, I was wanting to get a tattoo to remember my bubba. I think the impetus was that it would be always with me. Anyway, I happened across an ad on facebook for a petite gold chain with a teeny weeny initial charm on it, and decided it was just perfect. It's something I can always have on me, close to my heart, just for me. So I've ordererd a little Z for Zea, as bub was going to be named. And I can't wait for it to arrive. I wanted to share that with you, because you've all been lovely and supportive, and I appreciate it a lot.

My kind thoughts. I really hope you're all doing ok. Biggest hugs, Katy

Hello Katy,

That is a lovely way to remember Zea. Lass I'm so happy for you that you have found that "something special".

Hugs

Paws

Hi Katy,

I think the little tattoo sounds like a lovely idea and it sounds pretty! As you say, it will be with you always. And what a lovely name, Zea! A lovely thought to do that dear lady.

Your asset mapping sounds fascinating - and yes many of them will be closed/roped off now!

We have a beautiful town clock here that plays tunes on the hour - sometimes I can hear it from my back garden - it's a real asset here!

Take care dear lady xxx

Hi Katy,

I noticed in the window of the book shop here in town there's a new book out just called "Anxiety"by Dr Mark Cross - it's an Australian book by a psychiatrist who suffers from it himself. I've only been able to find a couple of reviews but wondered if it would be any help to you if you find it anywhere? Just a thought, xxx (Nothing to do with the tattoo, just that I know you suffer from anxiety as do I... ) xxx

Hi Hanna

Just to clarify, I'm not getting a tattoo (I don't think you're allowed at the moment anyway). I'm getting a little necklace with a teeny tiny half centimetre 'Z' charm on it. I thought it looked really sweet in the picture ❤️

I'll keep a lookout for the book. It will be interesting to read from the perspective of a mental health professional with lived experience. Sounds good. Thankyou x

Sorry Katy I misunderstood - the little necklace sounds lovely & you can wear it always!

I think the book has just come out at the same times as Covid19 so I have only managed to find a couple of reviews, but I think he sounds rather nice... might be worth checking? I'd ask the library here to buy it but they're closed...

Going to finish cooking the satay chicken and hopefully take Sam out for another (chilly) walk... replied to you and Paws on my thread - will check in again tonight. Hope your tree helps... take care hugs ooo