FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling lost and overwhelmed...what happened?

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Wow, this was meant to be 'my' year. A new year, a fresh start, a year to focus on what i want to do and where i am headed but i have hit a brick wall and can't break through. Single mum 3 kids. My little one has more kinder sessions so i have 3 days with about 4 hours free. With kids at school/kinder, this was my plan and how i wanted to spend my time i was excited/positive up until last weeks:

Do a few odd jobs around the house, fix a few things, big clean up;

Join a gym, do yoga for relaxation, walk every day - take care of me

Do an online course or some short courses so i can think of going back to work next year when she starts school. I could do something i really enjoy, a new career.

Maybe do some casual work or start a little business from a hobby

How i feel now:

Don't know where to start,anxious, guilty for not doing anything with my free time yet

How will i juggle 2 teenagers and a preppie and work all on my own next year?

If i work next year who will look after the little one on school holidays? I don't want to use school holiday programs when she is in grade prep. The thought makes me sick.

Maybe i should sell the house, just get rid of the mortgage and rent and be free ( i have this thought every month around pmt time) but where would i go and would i be renting forever? I feel overwhelmed with mortgage and bills, just like everyone i guess. Am i running away from responsibility, am i lazy?

I feel i have to be doing something all the time, feel guilty if i take time out (i was fine first week of kinder, this started second week I feel guilty not working, Scared I'll get in trouble for not doing anything yet and for having free time. The course i wanted is too expensive but i can look at other options.

I feel like a lazy mum, bad example to set for my children.

I'm anxious and depressed. i look at others with their families and how they are happy and going out and going away because they can afford to.

Am i crazy for being like this? Am i a lazy person? I had it all planned out, what happened, why have i now fallen like this? I saw a positive future, upgrade my skills, get out there and be something now i cant see it anymore.

I've lost my direction. People have said to give myself time to adjust to having some free time and to take a break and then rethink what i want to do but i'm panicking, like i'm wasting my time and i cant get going. I don't deserve anything i have.

Thanks for reading

cmf x

4,861 Replies 4,861

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Interesting chat with M tonight. My older daughter has been living at her Dad's.  He had a conversation with her re something personal & M said I should be having that conversation.  Really? After all the things his sis does/organises/controls for his boys he's questioning why my daughter's father had this conversation? Wow, he really believes his sis is the mother of his boys. He really does not see the weirdness of their set up. 

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I can't believe he had to text his sis at 11pm when he's here with me. He needs her so much.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Her & bf gone away for a week. Funny how when we spoke on the phone he didn't go to his bedroom & commented how quiet it was, although I could hear his son in the background.  Wonder if he liked it or not? I commented how clean his kitchen was. I noticed straight away.  He said just on little section to tidy which had hers & his son's crap. The stairs to her room had crap on 3 or 4 steps. Wonder if he left it or her? One item was a lunch bag usually sitting in the kitchen.  Hopefully after their big trip she'll move on finally. Was so nice to have dinner with her all over us. 

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

OMG tonight was bliss. Sis still away with bf. M has tidied his kitchen benches. He pointed out all her crap that he removed. We had dinner with little miss & his boys. After dinner M & I chatted & laughed,  it was so relaxing. We could actually have a conversation together.  No interruptions or interjections.  No sis dominating everything, listening in. We laughed so much. I hope he realised how relaxed & happy I was. When she's there dominating & taking all his attention I say nothing & leave early.  Tonight we watched TV, relaxed. It was heaven. Hopefully he can't wait for her to move on too.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Interesting how, when she's away, he does what makes him (and me) happy ie clean house. His son wanted a lift somewhere. He said no cos i was there & were having dinner. Bet if it was said he'd say yes. Can't believe her prioritises her over his boys.  Aaaahhhh the control she has.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I can't do it anymore.  Sis & bf back from holiday & he already depends on her. M's had a blocked ear for months. I've told him many times to go to Dr but he didn't..Sis told him audiologist so he went. They told him dr.  Sis & bf had ear cancelling on their holiday so she told him & he hot her to do it. Clearly what I say means nothing. I suggested he should go live with them. Clearly he needs her more than me. Said he has no time to go to dr. Told him after work.  Weekends...they're always open & bulk bill. He defends his friends gf who has trust issues saying 'when something important to someone you need to respect their feelings'. Clearly doesn't apply to me.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Was a tough week last week 😥

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Cmf

the difference between your posts when she was away and the ones when she came back is so huge.

was the week tough as sis was back or for other reasons.

is there change sis and he bf will move in together.

take care 

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Quirky, 

It's always "she'll move end of the year" for last 3 years. 3 boyfriends later...

We had a big disagreement as I I asked if he could live independently of her when she moves out & I heard "I don't know, I think so". I questioned this & he thinks he said "what do you think " & said it's a ridiculous question & whatever I think is the answer. Anyway we got thru it bur on Saturday his said her & her bf want us to go to Bali with then. M immediately said ' yes bring it on', jumping to everything she suggests without considering me. We've never discussed Bali as it's no interest to us, now he's wanting to go. Of course. I asked him next day if he wants to go. Her & bf have a time-share so we'd only pay flights. I told him I'm not interested, never have been & if that's the plan for next summer holiday, cos it will come up, I don't want to go.  Also told him it would be nice if we could away together without everyone else, like other's do. Seems every holiday he & I take has to be with her. He said 'if you don't want to go... ' & I questioned this. If I don't want to go,  will he go without me? Another holiday with sis? Tonight dinner was ok, I was in the family room talking to him, she was in the kitchen & yelled out to tell me I was wrong about something. My conversation was with him. After dinner they were talking about their trip.  SHE is trying to teach his how to choose flights. SHE wants his son to know how to do it, just in case. M said, oh good.  Again, he just let's her take control of his kids. He wants to visit my parents' home town with me one day. I would not be surprised if he does it with her as he was asking something about the name of it tonight. If he does that with her I will be furious.  She also rudely cut my daughter off when she was talking to go back to what M was saying, despite the fact she cuts us off all the time. M's friend suggested a coaching course for him when he finishes up work. She told him he should do it, use his 30 years of experience.  I didn't even know about the course. Not important to tell me, despite the fact I told him my card reader said he'd end up doing something teaching adults. Guess career decisions involve her not me. Everything points to him not being able to be independent of her, yet he got offended when I asked 😕 

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

She's thinking of turning her house into her work clinic.  Too many overheads and issues where she is. She was never gonna move back anyway. She'll stay with M till she move in with bf, whenever that is.

Sunday night blues have hit. Every Sunday when M drops me off I get anxious & down. Wish it would go away.