FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Spouse of 26 years passed away suddenly

Joanne_77
Community Member

Hi

I'm new here and l have never had any sort of counselling or therapy so lm unsure what benefits l could get by seeking those services, so l found this site and lm hoping l can find people who have experienced the same sort of grief l am unfortunately going through. 

I lost my partner on 8th March, 2 weeks before his 50th Bday. 

He went to hospital 8th Feb with a sore tooth but was given a diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer spread to the brain. In the end it was blood clots that spread to major arteries that took him from us. We have 2 boys, 12 & 14.

I have been in pilot mode since and the tears are flowing daily at particular times of the day with an intense empty feeling in my stomach. 

I just can't see how l will ever be as happy as l once was. 

Has anyone else been through the grief of losing their spouse, if so l would love to hear how you coped, if you have found happiness again and how long does this feeling stay for. 

Thankyou ❤️

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear Joanne_77

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post. We want you to know that this is a safe space to discuss your thoughts, feelings and experiences and receive honest responses and suggestions from fellow forum users.

We wanted to express our deep condolences for the loss of your beautiful partner.  We can hear how numb you are feeling right now, sometimes being in pilot mode is our body's way of protecting us from the sheer devastation that comes with losing a loved one.  Please be kind to yourself and focus on those small things that bring a little comfort each day.  In addition, you might find it helpful to get in touch with Griefline; they can also be contacted on 1300 845 745 to gain some understanding into the loss and grief process.

Of course, if ever you feel like you need to talk this through, we are also here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via our WebChat .  Our team who answer the phones are ready to have a supportive and non-judgmental chat whenever you need it.

We’re sure you will hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards 

Sophie M

Guest_1055
Community Member

I am so very sorry Joanne. I can tell you love him so much. I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say that I am sorry 

Fern42
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Joanne_77

I haven't experience the exact same grief as you however I have had exposure to grief and I am very aware how counselling or therapy can help you process and continue on with your life. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, how this has occurred sounds absolutely devastating. Please remember to care for yourself, you need it the most right now as you go through the ebs and flows. 

Griefline is a free service and could be a good listening ear for what you are going through right now and don't hesitate to reaching out to any services that is what they are there for. They might be able to advise some grief specific counselling services. - no is. 1300845745

Take care