FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Great stress in life and meds not working

Kat1234
Community Member
I've suffered from depression/anxiety for several decades. I've mostly been able to manage this with medication, but now I feel overwhelmed. I separated from my husband 6 months ago, which has been very, very sad and difficult but I managed, more or less. Now my elderly mother's recent illness has left me completely wrung out and I feel like I'm spiralling down. I have a grown-up daughter but no other family or friends. I have work colleagues who have been kind to me, but none of these relationships go beyond work. The free counselling sessions provided by my employer have almost run out. I feel cut off from everything and exhausted...just registering on Beyondblue and writing this has taken an enormous effort. I just can't see how I'm going to keep going.   
4 Replies 4

lostllama
Community Member

Hi Kat, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've been through a really tough time. Try to remember that with so many difficult things happening in your life, that's going to affect you! That's only natural and you shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

It sounds like you need to get out of the house and connect with people? Are there any groups that you'd consider joining?

Hi. Thanks for replying. I've been joining various online groups to find out about social events etc. but haven't quite managed to attend any yet.  I hope to get to one soon. 

dew_drops
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Kat..

I feel for you & its a credit to you for reaching out & asking for advice.I know that when depression takes hold its hard to even find the strength & energy to reach out.Sorry to hear about your seperation.As you know..life can feel like it deals some cruel blows & its up to us to get up & dust ourselves off & keep going.Its tough.A seperation is a huge life changing event..keep in mind its only been 6 months.I imagine the pain is still quite raw & re-adjusting to life on your own can take time..As lostllama said..dont be to tough on yourself.Give yourself time.Let yourself go through the motions & dont pressure yourself into feeling like you should be "over it"..maybe you are, but it takes time xo I can somewhat relate to having a sick parent.It feels like your giving all youve got left in you & every ounce of strength to them & leaves you exhausted..:-( It sounds to me like you need some "you" time!?Im only making suggestions..ignore them if you dont agree but take any advice that may help.Thats why we are here.You & your health should be number one.You cant care for anyone whilst your doing it hard & struggling.Remember, You are important too!!Is there a time each day where you can take some time out for you?Even if its snuggling up  with a book & cuppa to relax & distract yourself or run a bath & soak it up for a while.i know it sounds simplistic but maybe showing little acts of kindness to yourself each day might refresh you a little?

Good Luck Kat with everything..remember your not alone.Its quite comforting to come on this site & take in peoples ideas.Some lovely & encouraging people here to talk too & just to think that someone takes the time to talk with you about everything can take a little weight off the shoulders!! Much love & strength xo

Secretsquirrel
Community Member

Hello Kat

Thank you for sharing. It makes me feel that I'm not alone. I have pretty much alike issues occurred n I'm seeking for help n support too. It's the first post I read.  im sorry that i don't seem to b able provide any useful tips but I would like to be your friend if you want.

Hugs