FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Where to from here?

AndyL
Community Member

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety around 6 years ago, which I have been managing with varying degrees of success and failure over the years; throw in the stress of a work environment that makes me feel worthless, and that I can’t get out of at the moment, I’m spiralling again.
I’m generally not embarrassed about talking about my illness, in fact some may think I overshare, but my mind is so foggy that even the simplest of thoughts is difficult to explain. It’s becoming unbearable. I’m a loving husband to a supportive and brilliant wife and dad to 2 beautiful children, but my confidence and self esteem which has never been high, is waning terribly.

7 Replies 7

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Andy L,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand this would be difficult for you.

Have you been able to speak to your gp about the way you have been feeling? You could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello AndyL, depression and anxiety can change over the years only because everything you're doing will differ as you get married, have children, work and then buy a house, so all of these have different circumstances and will affect you in some other way, but it still doesn't stop carrying one onto another.

If your wife is brilliant and your kids developing far quicker than you expected, then if you're not happy at work this will begin much stronger and your confidence and self esteem will lag behind.

How do you explain this illness to those around us, well to each person it's probably different, it depends on the relationship and how close you are to each person and how much you want to divulge and the mood you're in and this may differ each time.

If your work has established how you are currently feeling, then appropriate action needs to be taken but would like to hear back from you, if this is the case.

Geoff.

AndyL
Community Member

Thanks Petal22,

I have a mental health plan and was seeing a psychologist, but find myself not engaging enough. I have a great GP but perhaps I need to start fresh with another psychologist. I’m yet to find medication that allows a good balance between the anxiety and depression. I try to stay healthy, and gave up drinking about 4.5 years ago as this was a problem I knew I needed to rectify fast if I was going to make improvements.
I still find myself wallowing in self pity more and more.

AndyL
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

Thank you. The industry I work in is not overly competent in dealing with issues of mental health. When I was at my worst 6 years back, I explained to the powers that be that I was struggling and seeking medical attention, however the pressure was increased and no practical assistance given. I ended up being made redundant and a piece of paper thrown at me with numbers to call if I needed help. That was it.
I realise that I need a change of career as the traits that got me to where I was/am are now lost. I have become introverted in many ways, and gone backwards in my career. The problem is, I don’t know what I want to do…and I’m in my mid-40’s!

Cheers,

Andrew

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

That’s ok,

Im glad you have a mental health plan.

Antidepressants can take up to 6 weeks to work fully…..

Maybe have a good chat to your gp about the way you are feeling.

I’m not sure if your seeing a psychologist or a clinical psychologist? Maybe see a clinical psychologist if you can they can diagnose a normal psychologist can’t.

Have you been taught any strategies?

Hang in there things will get better.

AndyL
Community Member

Thanks Petal22,

Its been 6 years, so the meds have had time, I just find that they will become less effective. I agree a clinical psychologist may be a good step.

Cheers

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

That’s ok Andy L,

Yes please keep seeing different health professionals like a clinical psychologist if your current psychologist isn’t really helpful.

You will find the correct treatment for you.