FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Weight loss - I need inspiration

HearMe
Community Member

Hello ๐Ÿ˜ž

I am a female with a lot of self esteem issues. I am considered obese and I feel it!
i have 2 kids under 3 and I have let myself go along with my mental health, I take care of everyone else before myself.

my husband and I live in a community without family support so it makes it hard to let each other go and do those extra things for our well-being because we rely on each other so bad.

the last time I was happy with my weight was when I weighed less but that is still classified as overweight for my height.

I want to hear from people that successfully lost weight against the odds and how you did it?! Every night I say Iโ€™ll start tomorrow

my Diet isnโ€™t shocking but it could be better. I could exercise a lot more.

any inspiration would be appreciated

๐Ÿ˜ž

10 Replies 10

amberlite
Community Member
Hi thankyou for posting, I gather you are young parents and that certainly is a crazy time, when the babies come first and autonomy it difficult. I have found that marching inside my house, with good sneakers on and my arms swinging and my knees raised is a good fitness starter/ no equipment needed. You can do it with or with out music, just go online and see the nice figures belonging to marching males and females. And with the diet well anything yummy is actually unhelpful. Trust your instincts cause soon you,ll be a food choice role model for the kids. Best luck to you and your

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear HearMe...

A very warm and caring welcome to the forums..

I am your height and weight...Just the other day I stated that I wasnโ€™t obese, just overweight....I think I am in denial of just how overweight I am...

I also live in a tiny village,...under 200 residents...I have anxiety that stops me from walking around the town and even going out to the bigger town is very hard...I am stuck either in my y house or my yard....not much body movement at all and for me a big liking of the wrong foods..doesnโ€™t help at all....

My Dr. has said a few times to me that walking is a gentle and very effective exercise...even if I do it around my yard..I like what amberlite has said about marching...I think with me itโ€™s lack of motivation to do any type of exercise๐Ÿ˜ข..

I know the right foods to eat...yet being on my own..I donโ€™t have the strength to say no...and cook myself something healthy..usually itโ€™s noodles, hot chips, sandwiches and bought bbq , which I know are not healthy at all...

Anyhow, I am just wondering if in the evening if you and your husband could put your 2 adorable children into a pram and walk around in your area for half hour to start with...then slowly build that up....even walking around the major shopping centre just window shopping is another type of walking....

Do you do any walking at all...I know having 2 children under 3 is a lot of running around in itself...and very tiring...

I would love so much to journey with you..in your weight loss journey....maybe together and with other community members that call in....We can all do it together by inspiring each other....

Looking forward to hearing back from you dear lovely lady..

My kindest and most caring thoughts..

Grandy..

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I have successfully dieted in the past. Tips to help

• Avoid fad diets which promise wonders. You may lose some weight initially but won't keep it off and likely end up being less healthy
  • I used the CSIRO diet which basically relies on limiting carbohydrates and avoiding high sugar or fatty foods. Lots of vegetables, 2 fruit per day sufficient dairy nd protein to provide enough nutrition. Find a healthy diet based on normal foods you can stick with long term.
  • Treats I used to have yoghurt and some nice fruit in the evening. It was from the amounts allowed on the diet but by having it in the evening and deliberately choosing something which was yummy it felt like a treat without sabotaging the diet. Having things to look forward to makes it easier to stick to the diet.
  • I cooked the same food for my husband but just added extra potatoes bread pasta compared to what I had. By choosing meals suited to the whole family with minor adaptations makes it easier.
  • Find exercise which you enjoy and fits with your lifestyle. I walked each day and gradually increased the distance/ steepness. Walking with your kids is good for all of you.
  • I kept records of my progress to help me keep on track.
  • Over time weight loss will slow down which is normal. Don't give up.

DavidW
Community Member
Hey, well listen!

cati_m
Community Member
Getting rid of excess weight is quite difficult, but you have to set a goal and go hard to it. The best motivation should be yourself because you are doing it yourself. I've always been skinny, and I also got complexes.

carter56
Community Member

Thanks for post. I have some tips to weight loss.

1. Do not skip breakfast. Skipping breakfast will not help you lose weight. ...
  2. Eat regular meals. ...
  3. Eat plenty of fruit and veg. ...
  4. Get more active. ...
  5. Drink plenty of water. ...
  6. Eat high fibre foods. ...
  7. Read food labels. ...
  8. Use a smaller plate.

Leisa68
Community Member

Hi there HearMe,

You could hire a personal trainer, I did and they are not incredibly expensive, particularly if you do the exercises at home on your own from your mobile once they set it up. They can also assist with diet as well and have groups from home where you all work out together through Zoom as well. I found a gem and she is helping me through all my concerns about weight loss.

I hope that helps somewhat. Good luck to you!

Leisa68

Sophie_M
Hi everyone,

We just wanted to pop in and remind everyone that we do have some guidelines around discussion of food, diet and exercise. This is a great discussion, and we really appreciate the kindness and sensitivity with which you are all handling this topic, so weโ€™re just leaving these guidelines here so that anyone arriving to this topic has a bit of background.

While we encourage you to share practices that have contributed to your body confidence, comfort, and overall wellbeing, we would prefer you don't share numbers such as current, previous or amount of weight lost. We will not be able to publish measurements or other quantifiable details such as:
  • weight
  • BMI
  • number of hours of exercise
  • intake including lists of food/meals.
We also ask if you could frame your posts within the wider topic of the Forums: managing mental health and wellbeing.

If anyone reading or participating here finds it might be raising any issues for you around eating, diet or weight loss, please know that our friends over at the Butterfly Foundation are free to call on 1800 33 4673. You can also chat to them online or via email

We thank you for your understanding, your participation on this thread, and your support of one another here and across the Forums. We appreciate your help in making this space safe.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello HearMe,

My advice would be to start with something small yet acheivable that you can aim to do regularly.

Something as simple as a half an hour walk a few times a week has many benefits! It's obviously good exercise, but also an excellent way to reduce stress and improve mental health. It's also something you can do alone, with your husband, with the kids (or with a dog if you have one).

Small, but achievable actions like this, done consistently, are a great thing to focus on because it helps build new habits and confidence in ourselves.