FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Taking time off work for mental health

Here2Talk
Community Member

Hi all

wondering if anyone has ever been able to take time off work for depression /anxiety and how? Did you get penalised by your employer

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

I think it's safe to assume that the stigma with mental health lives on even with educated CEO's let alone managers.

A side topic but with 43 years and 90 jobs with 15 profession I can recommend those with mental coping issues to work 2x2pxart time jobs rather than one full time. A change of environment after 3-4 hours helps.

TonyWK

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

As an employee, you are entitled to stress leave if you are not coping at work. I recommend you visit your GP and tell them what you are experiencing. They will write you up a medical certificate that you can give your employer to take paid time off work. Basically paid sick leave. I believe you can also claim worker's compensation for mental health related issues.

If you are from victoria, WorkSafe Victoria is a good start where you can find information about mental health and leave entitlements.

I recommend contacting lifeline, beyond blue, sane or black dog institute hotlines for further support.