FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list...

Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses

Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing

Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them

Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily

Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel

Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

132 Replies 132

Good advice

I definitely will try to implicate these into my day

Thank you

Free_Yourself
Community Member

Hi everyone 🤗

I’m Jan and I struggled with PMDD for many many years which caused severe anxiety and everything that goes with it!! I’m now studying to be a hollistic coach and mind body practitioner. As this is something I have overcome I would love to help others as I would have liked to have been helped all those years ago!! Let me know if you would like a chat 🤗

It may sound silly but sometimes buying stuff, mostly online, helps me a bit. Gives me something to look forward to. For example, soaps, a bit of a pamper, skincare, etc.

Jazzyshazzy hi and everyone contributing and of course readers
🖐

Jazzyshazzy... loven the name it has a nice lift to it.
Welcome to bb ☺ there's a wealth of information as you've seen.
Hope you and many others too continue to find you get some help from the forums.

Mb20lover hiya thanks for your good input as well.
I don't think anything sounds stupid.
It's a great help for a depressed mind to have something to look forward to and redirect focus. Good on you.

Mike hi again.
Loved your list and great seeing people are finding it helpful.

I've not tried YOGA ... can't see myself attempting the lotus position is it 😆 but I've often heard very good calming concentration and focus benefits from many people. It's popular.

Meditation many shy from but it can be as simple as just focusing and gently redirecting our thoughts to a calm soothing place.

Whether a water scene on the beach...

Reliving a beautiful memory...

We can make any peaceful scene we want.
Trick is to bring a sense of calm and peace.

I've had a break from pain feeling the water gently massaging my head in a shower.
I've no doubt cold showers are good.

Remember try hard not to accept and believe our first thoughts good people.
Depression has a PHD at convincing us of rot.

Talking to thoughts and looking for positives help the mood no end even if only in parts it's less time feeling smothered in pain.

We do have strength & the tools within. Ability to learn to think further than depression allows.

We've got this ⚘ Belief makes it easier.

Thanks demonblaster

HI, I totally agree Lovely bath products are like a little ray of sunshine on a grey day. It feels nice to reward yourself with the most basic of items. Today I bought a Sukin face wash and moisturiser any how then I used them as a body wash in the shower!! and now I'm soft like a baby's bumm and I feel positively glowing. Toodaloo

DB hello,

thanks for your summary.
My motto now is to keep moving as much as I can.

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

olivia025
Community Member
i got a new job and i thought i loved it but I'm so exhausted and i don't want to do it anymore. I'm scared that ill disappoint my parents by quitting but I'm really struggling lately.

Olivia welcome to the forum.

can you talk to your parents.? Could you talk to your doctor. .?

is it possible to work less hours. Just a few ideas.

Hey olivia025, welcome to the Beyond Blue forums,

We're so sorry to hear how exhausted you are from your new job. We understand starting a new job can be a very stressful process. If you feel comfortable speaking with your parents, this would be a great first step to managing some of the stress you're experiencing. You might find that the pressure you feel at the moment would be lifted by opening up to your parents about how you're feeling.
If you feel it may be helpful to talk this out tonight, you are always welcome to get in touch with Kids Help Line. They are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under.
If you would like to seek further support from the community, we would recommend that you start a new thread of your own as the topic of this thread is for the community to share their self-help tips on managing depression. If you are unsure how to create a new thread, please visit our FAQ thread for help: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/welcome-and-orientation/the-forum-faq-thread-