FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Seasonal Affective Disorder.. in summer?

startingnew
Community Member

hello everyone

ive only ever heard of SAD being in the winter months but im wondering is it possible to have it in the summer months?

im not sure if its part of my depression, the heat in general or other but id be interesting in finding out others experiences...

i find i have more trouble sleeping in summer, lack energy, and cravings for sweet things.

i cant put in anxiety or depressive feelings becasue i have these already..

what are your thoughts?

16 Replies 16

SAD is triggered normally by lack of sunlight hence it is more common in winter particulary closer to the poles.

I can't cope with the heat so in summer I have blinds down to keep heat out and avoid going outside when it is hot I think this may be causing SAD because I'm not getting enough daylight. After realising this I'm trying to change my position in the house throughout the day so I spend the morning on the west side then move to the NE in the afternoon adjusting the blinds so I get light but not the blazing sun through windows.

Fair enough, sorry.

I just thought I'd try to show my support the best i can. Sorry to hear that you and others struggle with it though.

Tayla

Tayla You have nothing to apologise for. As you said everyone ids different and some people love the heat others hate it. Memories of events related to different weather or times of the year also trigger different feelings dependent on what happened

Thanks Elizabeth.

True, I get triggered by things too, not just SAD type stuff.

Tayla

Thought I'd join in here cause I've noticed a similar trend where summer causes me severe distress and I feel panicky/directionless/empty

Similar situation here where I can't handle heat. Usually my response is severe anxiety and avoidance of situations where I might be too hot and can't escape. Occasionally it builds further into more depressive tendencies. I liked your strategy of moving around however, I might try that out, because I do struggle dealing with it and it doesn't help that I'm nervous in direct sunlight. Thank you 🙂

GGBillie
Community Member

Hey Happy New Year everyone

I have just joined the OnLine forum because when I googled SAD in summer a few comments were available.
I always get SAD in Summer, its the sun and its relentless heat that stresses me.

I mostly wanted to comment that for the month of December I felt really low, and unenthusiastic about any of the things I truly enjoy doing (hand crafts for instance) BUT today cos it is overcast and rain is forecast (please please) my mood has, almost magically, improved immeasurably.

I am sure it will help me to have others that feel the same as I do.

Thank you for reading.

Hello. i realise that this post is almost ONE year old, But i totally agree, Tassie or NZ sound like heaven to me. THOUGH even poor Tassie has had very hot weathers and bushfires the last few years especially.

Keep positive.

GGB