FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Online resources

Transitory
Community Member

Hi, I'm dealing with a lot at the moment, but I don't know how to put it all down concisely.

I've followed the basic steps, booked in with my GP, been referred by the online chat here.

But all I really want is somewhere online to talk to someone, via text preferably. Is that a thing? Beyond being given FAQ , information and referrals, I mean. Just to try to articulate what's going on. No one in my personal life is available, and I'm really struggling to deal with things.
Betterhelp looks like a total scam, but that's the kinda thing I'm looking for.

5 Replies 5

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Transitory,

welcome to beyond blue.

Putting things down concisely is hard for me also. I worry for my psychologist as I can tend to go all over the place when I verbalize things. One way I get around that to write it down on paper, and give it to her. And while this space here is not a chat service per se, you can get support from the other users in the forum here. Maybe you could test the waters here by posting about some issue. One thing that I can pretty much guarantee is that nobody here will judge you by what you write etc. I would not be here otherwise. I don't know your age (not asking) so have provided a few more links below that might help. Also, beyond blue has a chat function if you look at the bottom of the page also.

Links -

Find a psychologist: finds one near you and can specify gender, appointment times and types of issues. www.psychology.org.au/Find-a-Psychologist

Find a psychiatrist. www.yourhealthinmind.org/find-a-psychiatrist

Headspace, ages 12-25, also have a free online 1:1 chat here
headspace.org.au/eheadspace/

Kids Helpline, anyone under the age of 25, have a free 1:1 chat here
kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling and a 24/7 number 1800 55 1800

Lifeline. Most people are familiar with them on 13 11 14 but they also have a free 1:1 online chat open from 7pm til midnight - www.lifeline.org.au/Get-Help/Online-Services/crisis-chat

Tim

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Transitory,

It sounds like you’re really struggling at the moment. As you said, you have a lot happening, which I imagine might be overwhelming

I agree that personal support is very important. But I realise that can be hard to come by sometimes.

You’re most welcome to chat here, tell us what’s going on, vent, etc. The lovely forum members will generally reply to posts, but just so you know, this isn’t really an immediate support service. So if you’re happy to post then wait a bit for a reply, it could work well for you. What do you think?

Kindness and care,

Pepper

Hey, Tim. I'm 27, so most of those services are unavailable to me, which is a little frustrating because all these things began when I turned 25 and onwards. I spoke to a BeyondBlue chat rep and asked if maybe listing my issues would be beneficial and they said that it wasn't necessary, so that's conflicting. But my intuition says it's better to try it out.

My main concern is that I'm far too anxious to talk to someone on the phone, because I don't really have the emotional energy to articulate what I'm feeling. But I've always been better at typing (or writing) out complex things, than verbally explaining them. I might try Lifeline? That's a good suggestion, thank you.

I'm just going through the perfect storm of death, tragedy, relationship issues, alienation, self-image, hopelessness and all that fun stuff. It's a bit hard to work one out when they're all interconnected, if you know what I mean.

And I'm not being terse or vague on purpose, I just don't know where to begin, really.

Thanks for the reply, Pepper.

Yeah, it's the immediacy I'm looking for. I've perused the forum and I see the kind of support that springs up for people, but I think I'm looking for more of a conversation to resolve things. But, heck, can always try.

Hi,

One way of picking a starting point is to think about what is having the greatest effect on you at the moment. Or which issue if fixed would have the greatest positive effect on you.

I could be going down the wrong path but the first few things that you mentioned (to me) sound like they are related to connection. These may then have a negative effect on the last items in that list. And you are right these can be all interlinked.

There were times I would spend a hour writing an email to my psychologist just so that I would have things in the right order.

And whether you do it in person or via chat, recognising an issue and then working to fix it is the biggest step. And you are on this journey. I don't know how long it will be, but you will be supported here.

Tim