FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How are you coping with your thoughts today?

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi All,

Each moment of every day, we have thoughts darting around in our minds. When I stop to consider the ramblings that are occurring, I realise just how much negativity and destruction is sometimes involved in my thought process. If I leave these thoughts unchecked, allow them to proceed further, if I don't acknowledge of challenge them, I can soon find myself struggling mentally.

How do you proceed once you realise your thoughts and mind are drifting off to a place you would rather not be?

71 Replies 71

Hi nnMekitty,

Thanks for your explanation of what helps you. Being aware of triggers and knowing how to handle those occasions with a sense of connection, mindfulness or consciously being in the moment can help. For me, it can be a matter of remembering what helps and trying to put those ideas and methods into action.

Deep breathes are helpful too.

There have been times at work when I have been just so overwhelmed I have told my supervisor I am going for a short break, even if it is another trip to the toilet. It gives me time to rethink what is happening in my mind at that time and how I can help myself.

I have sat down and used the problem solving technique with pen and paper. Just writing it all down helps to clarify my thoughts.

Glitter_Vapes
Community Member
I'm not coping with my thoughts today. I feel like a failure and like I'nm a burden on everyone who is trying to support me. I started new meds this week, and the doctor said they could take a week or 2 to start working. I don't know how I'm supposed to survive a week or 2 of waiting for them to kick in, if they're even going to work. Don't have much hope right now.

Hi Glitter Vapes,

Welcome to the community here. I am sorry to read you are having such a horrible time right now.

Starting new meds can be a bit of a trial until the Drs manage to get you sorted. In the mean time, you mentioned you have people trying to support you. Let them know you are struggling. Asking people to help is not you being hopeless, just you being aware you need assistance right now.

Have you tried the support services of Beyond Blue and Life Line? I have phoned them when I feel like I am heading for a mental health crisis.

Do you have ways of distracting yourself that will help with your thoughts an mood?

Would sharing more of what you are thinking and experiencing help release some of your emotional pain? If so this is a safe place to do so if you desire to do so. I also find just writing stuff down on paper or even on the computer until there is nothing else to write helps. Then I write down 3 things I am thankful for.

I have realised over the years that mental health issues can be intense. With effort, I am finding little ways to make life a bit easier on unpleasant days.

gloria10
Community Member

Hi Doolhof,

Im using calming music a lot and I find it helps,though everyone’s taste is different. There are heaps of meditation music on You Tube and I give myself some quiet time.

I actually feel more relaxed and I’m sleeping less in the afternoon.

Exercise helps me too. After going for a walk my mind feels a lot calmer.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Gloria 10, & a warm welcome.

Thank you for coming here with your suggestions. It's great you are finding ways of feeling calmer & more relaxed. When we do these things for ourselves, we are taking some control over how we think & feel, caring for ourselves, caring more about ourselves in the process.

It's a nice positive feedback loop. 😺

Warmly,

mmMekitty

Hi mmMekitty,

Thanks for your response. I am slowly learning how to practice self care, though it has taken over ten years to do so 🙂 I'm also being more mindful about what jobs I accept so that I don't put too much pressure on myself.

Gloria10

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Gloria 10, & everyone,

I have been trying to do this too, against a background of not caring because so few people did, over my lifetime.

I've been thinking self-care is about asking ,'is this in my own best interest? Primarily for my physical & mental health. I need more help doing things I really don't like doing, such as exercise, which often feels worse in the short-term, but would be of enormous benefit later. & there's some food I like to eat, more for how good I feel in the moment, than reaching for the long-term goal of having a healthier body, to go along with being physically fit & strong.

I'd like all of me to be on my side, so I don't have such tug-o-wars when I have to decide if what I'm about to do is in my own best interest.

I think it ought to be easy - so why does it take so many years? Why the struggle with some decision or other, almost every day?

Warmly,

mmMekitty

ChildHeart
Community Member

How am I coping with my thoughts today? I'm not. It's 3:22 am and I am wide awake my mind is racing and my thoughts are down. I have no friends anymore and when you don't have anybody to go to.. it gets very lonely. oh well. It's not like I haven't had years to get used to feeling like this. Anyway..sorry for being the debbie downer.

Hope everybody else had a better day and is having a good nights rest.

Hello Child@Heart,

Sorry I wasn't up at 3:30am. I might have been - except I managed to sleep a little after moving the book reading past a short but noisy musical interlude, clearing my nose, then rearranging myself in my blankets. Then I slept a few more hours... too cold after a while... slept again... very much too cold when I next woke after 9am.

I am in a very similar situation. My helpers are the closest to being 'friends' but are not people I want so close, so we can maintain professional boundaries. Like my PDr - he's not a 'friend' either, but I can talk to him about anything.

I thought I'd made good friends in the Writiers' group I was in before COVID, but since the group disbanded, I have barely heard a thing from any of them, even after I have emailed,& phoned.

I was hoping my sis & I would be talkig more, but it's as has always been before: either I phone & email or I don't hear anything from her. After the business of my mother's estate is finalised, it's like there is nothing she wants to talk to about with me.

I'm alone in my flat so much, too anxious going out alone, & still having problems in my feet & legs so that physically it's difficult as well. I feel at a loss about what to do & how. Allow myself to think too much about this & it's miserable.

These are some feelings I don't cope with so well. I still tend to push them aside, I think, because I don't have a solution to the delema.

Coming here to talk has helped me some. Having some sort of connection to some people, somewhere, somehow, at least feels better than none. I say this with the understanding, I don't go to just any social site - only here. There are other sites similar to this, but for now, the only membership I have is here.

Talk again soom

Warmly,❤️❤️❤️❤️,

mmMekitty

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I'm not coping too well with my thoughts today!

I will have to work on a combination of distractions and also consider why my thoughts are so upsetting and disturbing and think about what options I have.