FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

FEELING ALONE, depression, anxiety, bipolar and ptsd

Han1
Community Member

Hi everyone, I’m new to this so don’t really know what to even say, but basically I just want to be mentally healthy.

Im 20 years old, I do have a boyfriend of two years who is supportive, but I feel like I’m being more of a burden rather than something good in his life, and I have only one friend left (who I never even see) , after the rest decided to get back out of my life after I lost my baby and the rut I spiralled in, I have no family aside from dad who isn’t supportive of anything, I am feeling lost and lonely and don’t know what to do.

I have no hobbies as I just can’t focus on anything or stay interested (I’ve tried a lot)

I have health issues which makes me in pain physically daily, which contributed to why I dropped out of my University course and quit my job as I couldn’t even go, I see no hope of even my life getting on track and currently am seeing a psychologist, it helps while I’m there but after I just forget about it all.

I don’t know what to do anymore, I have been trying for the last two years but am starting to give up, nothing seems to be improving, everything I do feels like it’s a waste and for nothing, I was on medication and that barely helped, I feel like mentally I have given up

1 Reply 1

Nurse_Jenn
Community Member

Hi Han1,

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are going though such a difficult time right now. This sounds really tough. I am glad you have found your way to the forum. It is a place where you can find a shared experience. You are not alone. Having symptoms of depression is really common and finding a treatment that works for you sometimes takes a few tries before you get the right combination of strategies.

You mentioned that you lost a baby in your post. I am really sorry to hear about this. If you wanted to get some support about this specifically, there is a website and phone line dedicated to this type of grief experience which you could visit by going to this webpage https://www.sands.org.au/national-support-line

You have set a really clear goal for yourself of becoming mentally healthy. This is a great start and now it is really about defining small manageable steps to achieve this. You have exercised self care by reducing your work and school load to better look after your health condition. You have also started seeing a psychologist and tried medication. You are obviously committed to achieving your goal and I commend you for being so strong despite your symptoms.

There is a support program called headspace that operates across Australia that is dedicated to young people Some people have found these centres to be really helpful as many of them have group therapy or social programs for people going through similar issues. You can look to see if there is a headspace centre in your area by going to this website https://headspace.org.au/headspace-centres/

I also wonder if you have expressed to your psychologist that you find the sessions helpful but only when you are there. There may be some ways that you and your psychologist can work together so you can bring your therapy learnings out of session with you. It might take some work to find what strategies work for you to do this but you might consider having this conversation with them.

Be kind to yourself. When you are feeling stuck, it can be so frustrating and difficult. I encourage you to reach out more often to your support network during this time.

If you need support anytime of the day or night you can always ring the Beyond Blue support line on 1300 22 4636.

Wishing you the best possible outcome,

Nurse Jenn