FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Does therapy do more harm than good?

LJpd81
Community Member

Hi so I've been seeing a psychologist regularly since 2021 for depression and sh. And a psychiatrist for 5 sessions so far.

I usually look forward to going and talking to both of them.

There have been times, I've thought, how many more sessions do I need and does it do more harm than good?

I'm on medication and in the past I have sh, even as long ago as a few weeks ago.

I've had a lot going on. Sick husband and trying to mend my mental health.

I've started to feel better and yesterday,  I was on a high and happy , despite the fact I was going to see my psychiatrist that day.

She is helping,  but I left yesterday feeling depressed and teary and I've felt the same all day today.

It's triggered me wanting to drink and thinking sh thoughts and just horrible,  down thoughts on myself . I have a post from yesterday, that explains more.

I'm just, is it normal to feel depressed,  after sessions? 

I am sometimes sad after psychologist sessions too.

5 Replies 5

LJpd81
Community Member

Hi can anyone relate?

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear LJpd81 

I think it depends on what your talking through with your professionals..I know after some of my sessions I left feeling a lighter in my thoughts, then a few times after a very triggering session, I left feeling so down on myself, in tears and so depressed….On my next visit to my psychologist I did talk to her about how I felt after our last session, then with my okay we talked through all those feelings I had….My psychologist did say to me, that if I didn’t feel up to talking about something or if she says something that’s triggering to me…all I need to do is just tell her and she will leave it alone until I feel up to talking about it…

LJpd, maybe if you feel up to it on your next visit, please let your psychologist know how the topic of conversation at your last visit put you into having unhealthy thoughts…

If you feel you need to talk to someone, until your next appointment with you psychologist…please give our caring and trained counsellors a call …. 1300 224636..

My kind thoughts dear LJpd,

Grandy..

douglaid
Community Member

There are different types of therapy: talk therapy and pills are what I have had.  Feeling worse after a talk may be a sign that the session was fruitful, and later, you will feel better for it.  And it depends on the kind and source of your depression.  Some people have depression only for a few years.  I was born with depression.  It was diagnosed very early by a child neurologist, who was treating me for birth problems.  it seems to have started with a family who immigrated from London in the 1850s.  I feel rebellious that I will never be rid of it.  Throughout my life, I have tried to treat my depression as a disability, rather like a Paralympian.  I managed to keep a job for only about 5 years at a time, but I kept applying for another one.  I have a lovely fasmily, although counting my blessings is of limited usefulness.

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi LJpd81,

Thank you for sharing and what a great post. Yes I definitely get what you mean when sometimes after a professional session you feel more depressed. I regularly get this for some reason however I still go. I don't necessarily think it is because it is doing more harm than good though. In my experience I think it is because during and straight after the session I feel a lot lighter and happier and my expectations are quite high. But inevitably I can't keep my mood that high and so I fail my expectations which is why I think I feel a bit depressed the day after a session. Do you think this applies to you?

I would also say it depends on the psychologist and psychiatrist. If you have built a good foundation of trust then it is definitely worth letting them know that you are feeling that the sessions are doing more harm than good. If not, then it may be worth considering another professional.

Bob

south4th
Community Member

Personally I dread going to the psychologist, I have to talk myself into it every time, or even bribe myself. And yeah I often feel worse afterwards too. But I’ve come to realise that I’m unearthing some deeply buried and very negative feelings, and if I didn’t do it in that space, they’d come out one way or the other - in a less safe way. So I don’t think it means it isn’t working, it could be a sign that you are getting to the heart of the issues you need to deal with?