FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression and worthless

Kendrick
Community Member

Hi there , 

just wanting to share my experience feeling on depression and my mental health and if anyone out there has any similar thoughts, it’s almost like I’m alone and trapped in my own head and I don’t know what is wrong with me I feel disconnected and alone and when I’m down it’s horrible feeling but the good day I’m ok it’s just on and off like this and the sad days I really hate myself and worthless I’m up and down feeling I go through are hard to deal with 

9 Replies 9

Whatsinaname
Community Member

Hi Guest,

One thing I can tell you with great certainty is that you are not alone in these feelings! I'm sure others will chime in too but it is more common than you'd think.

Do you have any support network around you that you can lean on in times of need?

Have you spoken to your GP about it?

If it gets really bad don't forget you can reach out to BeyondBlue on the phone or via their live chat.

Thank you for your reply , i have a good gp that is very good with my mental health and unfortunately I’ve been suffering through it for awhile and it’s for me trying to find ways to keep on top of it but I do have the big down days and my mood drops very low I don’t really have a support network when it comes to my mental health I do feel alone sometimes and I find that hard 

Have you ever tried therapy? It's kind of like having a friend you can unload on without the guilt of bringing them down with you.

I feel lonely most of the time, no matter who is around, it is quite distressing isn't it.

I haven’t had proper therapy for awhile I have tried a few but I have never felt like I have connected with one but talking about this more makes it feel better and not feeling alone , I agree I feel lonely most of the time and it is a distressing feeling not having people to talk too 

Worth trying again for sure.

I think I've been to 5 different over ones the years and all have been good in their own way, but the latest one I just seem to click with a lot better.

Its a weird scenario, but you really do need to click for it to be comfortable. 

That’s great you have found someone good to connect with hopefully this will help for me and having abit more support talking and connecting with others and not feeling so lonely 

Its a great place to start.

These forums are also a very welcome distraction for myself, I spend a lot of my time in the not so serious threads just "wasting time." It's good to feel that bit of connection even if it is anonymous.

I think it’s good to be connected to some support even if it’s talking in the treads just so you don’t feel alone and feel like your in your own head to much knowing there is people out there feeling and going through similar experiences with mental health 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Kendrick

My heart truly goes out to you. It's a horrible feeling, hey, when that same question kinda plays on a loop, 'What's wrong with me?'. Took me a good number of decades to finally work out there's nothing wrong with me, I'm working perfectly fine, I just have the ability to feel what's depressing. While that's one way of looking at it, it doesn't really help when you can't exactly pinpoint what is depressing. While there could be 50 depressing things going on in one single week, if we knew exactly what those 50 things were, we'd be able to say 'No wonder I feel the way I do' or 'No wonder I feel like a human yo-yo at times'.

I'm a gal who used to take 'You're so sensitive' as an insult. Nowadays it's more like 'Hell yeah, it's quiet and ability but it does tend to do my head in at times'. To give you an idea of great sensitivity:

• On Sunday you could feel 1)some joy or 2)a sense of peace, until the evening rolls around and you start to think about work the next day. If it's stressful thinking, you can sense 3)cortisol levels rising
  • On Monday 4)some sense of dread may kick in upon waking from a sleep where 5)the side effects of sleep apnea or just a poor night's sleep have messed with you. You get to work and a few work colleagues absolutely make your day, which leads you to feel some sense of 6)happiness or a hit or 2 of dopamine to to the receptors in your brain. All of a sudden some degrading arrogant person says something to make you feel like garbage, 7)leading you into a downshift. Then comes lunch, which involves something 8)exciting. 9)Depressing inner dialogue eventually starts to dictate 'Your break's nearly over. It's time to get ready to go back to work'. You work through the rest of the day with mixed emotions. Eventually you leave work and it's a grey old day out there, 10)the kind of weather you can feel in so many ways.

I'll leave it there, not even having got through the 2nd day of the week. All those feelings, all those ups and downs, some we're conscious of and some we're not. With a mix of psychological triggers, biological and chemical ones and even ones that impact the soul in some way, we're a mixed and complex collection of things, feeling or sensing from so many different angles in so many different ways. From a depressing B12 deficiency to  a lack of soulful inspiration, the range of what we feel can be massive. I've learned while sensitive people (those who can sense pretty easily) can feel a heck of a lot, insensitive people kinda have it easy to some degree, in certain ways.

Not sure whether you can relate but 2 of my major triggers for depression are depressing inner dialogue and a depressing lack of energy. With the best kind of inner dialogue and loads of energy (aka 'the feeling of life running through you') a lot of the challenging stuff in life pretty much becomes water off a duck's back.