FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depressed due to isolation and civil liberty restrictions

Tangney
Community Member
Does anyone feel their depression worsening because they are not afraid of the virus and don't agree with the lock down? I can't stand the isolation and hate the restrictions on my freedoms. I was isolated before this started and now it's worse. I feel that the isolation will actually kill me if it goes on for much longer and I am spiralling downwards. This is made worse by the fact that the reasons for the lock down are no longer in existence. I know that on 1 June things will get better, but it seems like a lifetime away just now. Isolation is used as a form of torture in some countries and solitary confinement is a punishment. I feel that this is being imposed on me, even though I haven't committed any crime. Some people cope better than others with these sorts of conditions. You tube videos, baking cakes, and knowing that flowers will eventually bloom doesn't make any difference. It would be nice to know if there are others who feel the same way. If anyone else out there thinks the same, please post a response.
425 Replies 425

sorry for the typo in my post above Tangney....oops

when we were placed in 'lockdown' our government and health authorities didnt know anything about Covid-19 as we have never been in this situation before so they have done well by doing so

Tangney
Community Member
Hi everyone. Thanks for your support. Now that these social distancing rules have been shown to be illegal in NSW, I hope that everyone who was fined for going to the beach, sitting in the park, driving in their cars etc, don't pay the fines. I'm glad that people went to the protest marches today because it shows how ridiculous these rules have been from the very beginning and that they aren't even valid. It was only a matter of time before people stopped complying. I'm only sorry that it took this long. Of course, the police could not have arrested 10,000 people as it's not physically possible. There aren't enough police or jail cells. The negative consequences of this outrage are going to be felt for a long time. Cruelty has been unnecessarily inflicted on so many who have been not been allowed to be with their dying loved ones and who have not been allowed to attend funerals, for example. Today, it has finally been revealed to those people that the restrictions placed on them had no legal basis. There was also no need to create a recession and take people's livelihoods away from them. I'm glad that all the people who marched today brought attention to the fact that there are other important issues in the world apart from Covid19 and that some things might be more important. Lets hope that everything will be open next week.

golden82
Community Member

Hi Tangney;

Good to find you in another thread and sorry to read that you seem to have been through a worse patch. Glad that with things opening a bit you are feeling a bit better.

I haven't been doing well either and totally agree the longer it has gone on the isolation and therefore my own thoughts and depression have got worse. Almost everyday I stay in bed and then when it is dark I take a walk. This is because I need to escape my little flat and my thoughts - but can't seem to go out in the day anymore because a side effect of all this lockdown has been that the forced isolation has made my social anxiety worse. Without the occasional 'exposure' to the outside world I have gone backwards and just curled in a ball under covers more fearful of the outside world. And no - not the Covid - but just the social anxiety I was struggling with to begin with. As they say fall off a bike and get straight back on; but without the opportunities to do so I have regressed and now have to take 'baby steps' working back to where I was before...which was not good to begin with.

I agree with you Leisa68 with re to the libraries. I am in SA and although we have libraries open it is limited numbers and just in and out for borrowing. This is not how I used the library - it was my safe place from the world where I could go and be out but feel my anxiety under control. I just hope soon these ridiculous rules end and we can get back to using places the way we did. I have not bothered to go to the library because of this.

And Tangney you write exactly what is on my mind too - re the protests - and what happened to the social distancing and gathering restrictions that were apparently so imperative?? It seems a rule for one and not others. And you bet a lot of those out marching are the exact ones who were singing the praises of needing complete lockdown. And telling us who are alone to suck it up and get through it. It makes me angry too. It is not the fact of what they are marching for - it is the contradiction.

If this virus gets a 2nd wave from all of this we will know why. Meanwhile so many businesses and livelihoods and mental health etc have been damaged. We have slowly been opening things up here in SA and so I have booked myself a pedicure this week to try lift my spirits - I tend not to do nice things for myself. I hope there is something nice you can do for yourself this week - even just once a week treat yourself to something. You deserve it and your posts help me

Tangney
Community Member
Hi Golden82. I'm glad you've found this thread and that you feel that my posts are helpful to you. It's nice to know that my rants are actually helping someone with this isolation! Your posts are always very balanced and thoughtful and they help me a lot. It's good for me to know that I'm not alone in my reactions to what has been going on. I think it's terrible that you have been set back with your illness because of these isolation rules that aren't even legal. Sadly, it's become crystal clear to me that only certain groups get to be heard in this discourse and that anyone in society who has tried to draw attention to the disproportionate management of this virus issue and the very many negative consequences for both individuals and communities has either been ignored, shouted down, or accused of treason and other crimes. I feel for you that the work that you had done to improve your anxiety condition has been unravelled and now has to be begin all over again. This is very real and very unfair. I don't believe you should ever have been put into this position. Your condition is serious and should be treated as such. I wonder when all this is over if there will be any honest examination of how the mentally ill have actually been swept under the carpet and diminished during this time, and how this marginalisation has really affected people. I struggle with the "Are you ok?" message right now, as when I've told people that I'm not ok, and that I don't agree with all these restrictions, I have been berated and accused of all sorts of awful things by people who were supposed to be friends. I was even called "stupid", by someone who I had been friends with for more than 30 years. It shows that despite all the sympathetic talk about mental illness in the community, most of this is superficial and there is very little understanding of what people's lives are really like. I don't know what they were expecting you or I to do when all of the things that we needed to do for ourselves were denied us. I agree with the reasons for yesterday's demonstrations, but I also wonder as you do how many of those who were out there yesterday were the same people who were on their high horses until recently, demanding that everyone stay at home. At least people have finally found a cause that shows that there are worse things than Covid19. Let's hope it's only the first issue that's finally been granted acceptance, but not the last.

golden82
Community Member
Thanks Tangney. I re-read your first post to this thread where you mentioned about solitary confinement as a form of punishment and that is so true. My GP has even spoken about this with me..how things such as human/social interaction and sleep are just as vital as any of the medicines to our good health - and that depriving people of such things is used as torture. This has been near torture for me and this weekend has been hard. It is a long weekend in SA and so that is 3 days of no talking or hearing from anyone. And Friday was the same - didn't even leave the bed. So that will be 4 days - and it feels like 40 days believe me! I know that this weekend would have been the same with/without the Covid lockdowns - but it is harder during this time of so much forced isolation already. And I know it is not the fault of the lockdowns that I am a pathetic unloved human being, but the lockdowns really highlight it for me. I hear nothing ever from my 'family' and my few friends all have families of their own and are really just acquaintances. I might see them a couple of times a year for a coffee. So really all I have is my GP and venturing out to the library or the like for some inclusion in society. With the GP being over the phone and libraries all changed-up...it becomes a life in bed and in my head just wondering WTF is wrong with me that no-one bothers to pick up the phone. I am done with it - because it is always me who does the calling and you hear the usual 'oh, yes we have been meaning to call/thinking of you' blah blah and then the BS at the end of the call that 'we will be in touch soon'. Doesn't happen. I just don't seem to fit into this world. It means I am forever by myself with my thoughts. I have family abuse that I have never got treatment for and this was going to be the year to start psychotherapy for that (I am not into meds - fine for others - just not for me). But just as GP sorting that out - LockDowns and zoom apts. I didn't want a Zoom apt - especially when never met the Dr yet. I need face/face. So all in my head right now. I am an empath who likes my own company yes, BUT need human interaction like we need air - and without this I crumble. As has happened. How the Governments can be okay with this..I suspect they realise overblown but not going to admit it. I noticed the Norway leader has stated her reaction was overblown and wishes she did as Sweden did. I think this is true for many - but they won't admit it. Thanks again.

Tangney
Community Member
Hello Golden 82, You are actually the one that is ok and everyone else is mental. Please believe that you are brilliant, smart, and wonderful. I hope you're ok. You are can see what is happening in the world when so many can't.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Tagney

i am glad you have the opportunity to express your thoughts and ideas with others on this thread,

it is important that you feel people are listening and you have a voice.
Thank you

Thanks W

Hi Quirky I'm not sure what you're on about with respect to me. Thanks for your kind words but it's not about me saying what I think. It's about the truth. I'm sure the Golden82 knows that.

golden82
Community Member

Hi Tangney,

Thank you for your supportive post. The weekend was hard. I tried to get out a bit last week - good in some regards, but totally drained the little energy I have. And because I hadn't been on a train for months due to all the Covid - ended up having a panic attack on the train. Like I said I have to rebuild all this social exposure stuff that has been going backward with lock-downs. The weather here in Adelaide is horrid today so my plans for a walk gone out the window and another day in bed. Oh well, will try a walk tomorrow. I hope you are doing well and that you are getting about to the things you used to enjoy prior to lock-downs 🙂