FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

can i go to a mental hospital?

123101_6
Community Member

🚨TW: sh, suicide, physc wards

ive asked twice to stay as an inpatient in a hospital bc i dont feel safe at home from myself (once on nov and once in feb. for sh). both times ive been refused bc i am a young teen (so in their eyes was ‘obviously faking it’ as they told my mum 🙄) i was actively sh-ing so i wouldve thought i would be able to stay, its gotten worse + thoughts of death have started popping up heaps again. pls fully honestly answer if u think i wokld be able to stay bc if i ask to and they say no again i dont think ill be able to ask in the future + ill stress my family out alot. i really want help and ive gone through sm options in my head, i have a therapist a gp a physciatrist and everything like that but its not enough. im not close enough with my friends to go their and my family is unable to keep me safe here.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Dear 123101 6,

Firstly, welcome to the forums we are so glad that you found your way to this supportive and welcoming community. We hope that you find ideas, options and support from the shared experiences and knowledge of all our members.

We can hear from your post that you have been struggling with these thoughts of Self-Harm and Suicide for an extended period, we hope you acknowledge the effort and strength you have displayed persevering and seeking help. Being unable to get the assistance you need can be extremely frustrating and you are understandably exhausted with this process, but we encourage you to keep seeking the aid of mental health services.

It is fantastic that you are engaged with multiple professionals, have you discussed the ongoing issues and inability to get help when needed with them? You have stated that your family are ‘unable to keep you safe’, have you talked to them and expressed that you do not feel safe and desire hospitalization and treatment?

The NSW Mental Health Line is a state-wide telephone number which puts you in touch with your
local mental health service. Staffed by mental health professionals, the line gives NSW residents
access to expert mental health advice, support and referrals for people dealing with a mental health
problems. Where appropriate they can put you in contact with the local mental health crisis or acute care team. This is the recommended contact to reach out to regarding wanting admission to hospital. As mentioned, they can put you in contact with mental health crisis teams that are normally associated with a local hospital and can provide assessment and arrange hospital admission when required. They are a 24 hour service and can be reached on 1800 011 511 or via https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/mentalhealth/Pages/mental-health-line.aspx#:~:text=The%20Mental%20Heal....

As mentioned, it can really help having someone to talk to when these negative thoughts arise, we recommend contacting the Beyond Blue counselling team. By engaging via phone or chat the counsellors can provide advice and support, please contact either via phone 1300 22 4636 or web chat: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support

If you have not engaged with them before we would also recommend Kids helpline on 1800 55 1800 or at https://kidshelpline.com.au/ . This service is available to anyone 25 years old and under.

We would also like to suggest Lifeline on 13 11 14 or at https://www.lifeline.org.au/crisis-chat/

Alternatively we would also recommend the suicide call back service, they offer a range of contact methods that can be accessed via https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/phone-and-online-counselling/ or by giving them a call on 1300 659 467.

If at any point those thoughts of suicide become overwhelming, or you no longer feel safe we urge you to contact emergency services on 000.

We hope that you find the support and direction that you are seeking on the forums. Once again, we are so glad you have joined the forums and we hope that you feel welcomed into the community.  

Warm regards
Sophie M

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Sophie M has provided great information so you might want to print that out and have it in your purse.

Now that you are on the forum and it's anonymous, you might consider chatting more about your problems. It's really wonderful that you are proactive and seeking help here because hospitals and GP clinics arent always available and we are open here 24 hours a day 365 days a years. You might need to wait for someone like me and other champions to go on line to reply to you but at least your post is there waiting for an answer.

Our community champions also have mental health issues but we have "been there done that" in so many ways and together with life experiences we can often provide you some ideas on how to cope as we've been desperate also.

So relieve the pressure of life itself and find ways to cope is a good goal to have. We dont judge you here, we wouldnt accuse you or even think that you are staging, thats not what we are about.

I, have been in situations whereby I've wanted to admit myself

and had suicide thoughts and one serious attempt. I also self harmed once. I'm 66yo so been around a long time and been a community champion for 9 years.

So no pressure but feel free in adding to this post about hospital admission or if you have a specific problem you want to tackle eg parental issues, friends, school, lack of confidence etc you can make a new post. Eg suicidal thoughts can be a new post under "suicidal thoughts and self harm", or a topic about parents and friends under "relationships and family issues". These topics can be found when you press "ALL POSTS" above the blue line at the top of this page.

Again welcome, you sound like a nice person and hopefully we can help.

TonyWK