FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Broken and Bruised

Brokenandbruised
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I was here a few years ago.. back again & feeling very depressed. I have a physical illness now too this started about 9 months ago. I have a new bf too been with him about 2 years now. The thing is it’s been hard to get treatment for my illness & very hard to go anywhere I am housebound. I need to get to my gp but too sick. He my bf, just told me I obviously don’t want to get better. .. he doedn’t understand. No one does.. I can’t cope., I don’t know what to do.. I feel like each day is a struggle to just exist..

why is this happening to me? 😭😭

5 Replies 5

Swan_13
Community Member

Hi there,

I'm so glad you've made the decision to come back and post after a few years. It sounds like you find comfort in this community when you're feeling this way - that's what it's here for... a place to feel safe. I can imagine that it would feel like your boyfriend doesn't understand what you're going through when he tells you that you don't want to get better. I just wanted to highlight that it sounds like me that you do want to get better - you've been persistent with your treatment even though it's been a daily struggle, which is something to be so proud of in itself. I think practicing self-compassion is so important, forgive yourself on those days where you feel not up to going to your GP.

Do you mind me asking what you found helpful when you were posting last time through the forums? It might be helpful to revisit those things 🙂

Hope to hear from you soon..

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Brokenandbruised,

Welcome back to the forum and the community. It sounds like you are really struggling at the moment, sorry to read there are a few things happening for you.

Is it possible for your boyfriend to take you to the Dr and can he sit in with you at the appointment to hear from the Dr about your medical situation?

Do you have information about your condition your boyfriend can read to help him understand better?

Do you have family or friends close to you who could help in any way?

Does you Dr or a locum service do house calls?

Are there things you can do at home to help you deal with your situation, to help distract you while you look for answers.

I've asked a lot of questions! You don't have to answer them, maybe consider them and see if any ideas and solutions come to mind.

Would talking to someone at Beyond Blue help you? Phone 1300 22 4636. There may be services near you who could help and assist you.

Hope you find some answers!

Cheers from Dools

citizen1911
Community Member

Hi Brokenandbruised. How uncanny. I am in the exact same position as you. I suffered from depression through my life, the worst 2 points was in my teens and a few years ago. I did several major lifestyle change from the lowest point of my depression and gradually everything got better. For the past few years I feel happy to say I felt the least depress in my life.

Recently it came back again. Perhaps last night I was feeling as distraught as you. But I remember if I had survived the last major low all on my own, I can certainly do it again. For starters it is great you recognise that it is coming back and you are seeking help.

I was going through this forum for some helpful tips and I found the following quite useful:

When you find yourself thinking very negative thoughts, go through these 3 steps:

1. What am I doing/thinking?
  2. Do I really want to be doing/thinking this?
  3. If the answer is no? Let's do/think something else.

The other I found useful was this:

Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily
Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses
Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing
Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them
Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel
Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

Forgive me, I have no understanding of your physical illness I hope it does not restrict your activities too much. Like everyone else who had gone through depression, the most dreaded comments from our friends/family is that they think we are doing this to ourselves/ we don't want to be better. It is understandable why you feel so upset with your bf, but before you put more energy into changing his mind, use that same energy to focus on yourself first.

Take care and be well.

Hi citizen 1911,

thanks for replying to my post. My bf & I talked & he apologised to me- said he felt bad for upsetting me but he said me being this sick upsets him & he just wants me to get better. I can’t exercise right now as my illness limits me greatly. Just showering is an effort, which I did last night. I will go to the dr early next week. I used to practice mindfulness finding it hard to do that now.. most things are so hard.. I find I have been seeking the company of strangers online, & doing things I shouldn’t, maybe to feel better about myself or for ‘affection’ although not real. I’m messed up I know. I am a broken woman & my bf would be hurt if knew some things I do. I love him but I find it hard to share everything with him.. I tend to push those closest away.. I feel like giving up..

Hi Brokenandbruised,

It is good you were able to talk to your boyfriend. Hopefully that has helped you both.

This is a safe place to share how you are feeling and what is happening for you.

Feeling isolated and stuck at home can be detrimental to our emotional health. Are there things you can use for distraction within your current medical restrictions?

Hope the Dr is able to assist you next week and provide answers and solutions for you.

All the best from Dools