Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Bell 3 tablespoons of DARKNESS every year
  • replies: 5

Hello Beyond Blue community, I have depression that is most prominent in DEC-JAN-FEB of every year, hence the 3 tablespoons. It's only now that it's really clicked that it's those months specifically and it's when my father passed away 10 years ago n... View more

Hello Beyond Blue community, I have depression that is most prominent in DEC-JAN-FEB of every year, hence the 3 tablespoons. It's only now that it's really clicked that it's those months specifically and it's when my father passed away 10 years ago now. I still get dished out some heavy weeks here and there but I feel like a steady 4 out of 12 months I am just good for nothing. I have got a referral for a psychiatrist and waiting at the phone for that call when I can go and see them. I tried last year to get better and fell back into smoking pot which I've used several times to "get better" (more like forget about it so I never get well). I'm getting really bad now, my mum has severe depression and has admitted herself to a mental ward in the past. I feel bad for stacking my problems on hers so I rarely do, and I live away from most of my family. I have a good life, a lovely girlfriend and a wonderful sharehome but i still can't stop these feelings of despair. Can anyone recommend any good psychologists that practice in Melbourne I can get to quickly? I feel like a tiny wall that's got lucky in the eye of the storm but will be destroyed any time soon... Sincerely, Bellamy

ThousandMiles Fatigue - how do you cope?
  • replies: 8

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anybody else experiences extreme fatigue as a side effect of depression? I'm suffering quite badly from it at the moment, and it makes everything such an effort. I feel drained and crushed constantly, and no matter how ... View more

Hi everyone, Just wondering if anybody else experiences extreme fatigue as a side effect of depression? I'm suffering quite badly from it at the moment, and it makes everything such an effort. I feel drained and crushed constantly, and no matter how much sleep I get it doesn't go away And I try not to use caffeine because I got addicted to it in the past, and it also makes my anxiety levels high. Does anyone have any ways they use to cope with extreme tiredness??

chrisco I am feeling completely unable to change
  • replies: 1

I am feeling completely unable to change, barely coping and worried about my job, what people think of me. I am seeing gp, phsycoligist and would like to attend any recovery activities , as health practitioner's aren't helping much. Seeking out assis... View more

I am feeling completely unable to change, barely coping and worried about my job, what people think of me. I am seeing gp, phsycoligist and would like to attend any recovery activities , as health practitioner's aren't helping much. Seeking out assistance, ta.

Chris D Battling the thoughts all day
  • replies: 6

I am home alone and really struggling at the moment. I have been battling the thoughts all day and none of my safety tools have worked. I really don't know wat else to do. Really lost and going down with every passing hr i feel. I am scared that i am... View more

I am home alone and really struggling at the moment. I have been battling the thoughts all day and none of my safety tools have worked. I really don't know wat else to do. Really lost and going down with every passing hr i feel. I am scared that i am going to do something but something has always stopped me, i don't know what that something is. I know i go into hospital on monday but i'm just so lost and feel i have being deserted by my family, friends, cousins i let them all know what i am going through and none of them have been msging me or being in contact with me. Why? I thought when you are down u seek support from those groups of people, obviously i was wrong again. Don't deserve any happiness or anything for that matter. I'm a lost cause i feel. Forget it. Chris

Karen71 What I couldn't show him is just how yuck I feel
  • replies: 5

Ok so saw a psych he said I was depressed and changing medsit was like talking to a alien on a computer screen.skpe. What I couldn't show him is just how yuck I feel.im sick with a stomach thing my insides feel like they've been scoured, my head won'... View more

Ok so saw a psych he said I was depressed and changing medsit was like talking to a alien on a computer screen.skpe. What I couldn't show him is just how yuck I feel.im sick with a stomach thing my insides feel like they've been scoured, my head won't stop thinking about suicide and how the world just is horrible.i just don't want to be here anymore I've fought depression for so longim tied it just keeps comming back.im a nice person I don't do drugs or alcohol I don't really swear I raise wonderful kids whom I stay alive for but do I really have to live this way?im getting constant problems if it's not one thing it's anoutheri have to get an organisation to visit me because I have no freindspeople don't like me I don't know whyit hurts my pride to know the person talking to me gets paid tothe world is an ugly placeim tied so tied all the time and other people don't accept me my 5yrold has asphergus how do I leave himim so so tied no one really understandswhat happens really if I give up!no I'm not suicidal tonight just I don't know how much can I take I'm donebeyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

link09 i am scared to ask for help
  • replies: 4

i have been looking at this site for a while and have decided to post. i dont know what to do any more everything just seems like a huge effort to me and i havent been happy in a long time, i wish that i would die or go to sleep and not wake up. so f... View more

i have been looking at this site for a while and have decided to post. i dont know what to do any more everything just seems like a huge effort to me and i havent been happy in a long time, i wish that i would die or go to sleep and not wake up. so far i have managed to get through but i dont see anything getting any better. i am scared to ask for help as i am worried that i might lose my job or that it would cost me any future oppurtuinties in my career. i am also worried about going on medication as i think it may make me worse. can anyone give me some advice on what to do i am sick of feeling like this

bluerose My doc has said I am treatment resistent
  • replies: 1

I have suffered depression and anxiety for many years. My doc has recently said I am treatment resistant. He took me off meds and now I am having awful withdrawals. I cannot work, I have no friends or family and have not had any luck with talk therap... View more

I have suffered depression and anxiety for many years. My doc has recently said I am treatment resistant. He took me off meds and now I am having awful withdrawals. I cannot work, I have no friends or family and have not had any luck with talk therapy. I feel I am all alone, sick, depressed and there is nothing that can help me. Struggling to find a reason to fight.

Scotty2013 Anyone know of another Planet i can go stay at for a while
  • replies: 3

Hi guys I'ts been sometime, just thought i would pop in say hi. I'm doing ok-ish but of late i been feeling a bit down /flat. Mostly because I'm so damn tired of the world, its always a struggle. Sometimes i feel like i am taking a pill because of li... View more

Hi guys I'ts been sometime, just thought i would pop in say hi. I'm doing ok-ish but of late i been feeling a bit down /flat. Mostly because I'm so damn tired of the world, its always a struggle. Sometimes i feel like i am taking a pill because of life the way it is.., not me does that make sense?. I look at news governments and think what a mess, why do people have to make this so much harder for others?. I'm tired of peoples attitudes around, their motives..I feel like everyone is trying to control one another.. or people are just to damn bossy!!! . Anyone know of another Planet i can go stay at for a while?? Thanks.TC...

Guest_3712 no more secrets and lies, i'm telling my husband about my depression
  • replies: 3

Hi guys, I have been really humbled by the responses to my post, "Depression is not a cold.....". It proved to me that no matter what our ethnicity , sex, age or social status we all have the one thing inn common- to be understood , not judged or pai... View more

Hi guys, I have been really humbled by the responses to my post, "Depression is not a cold.....". It proved to me that no matter what our ethnicity , sex, age or social status we all have the one thing inn common- to be understood , not judged or paid lip service. What I also read was that we all put ourselves last. We worry about how our depression affects our family, friends, partners, kids. We feel guilty for being sick. we put off treatment because our family won't cope without us and meanwhile we get worse. I have been very distresses for the last few days and have taken comfort in posting here. but it is not enough. Ican't do this anymore. I need to be able to tell my nearest and dearest I am sick. My psych has been trying to get me to see this for years - and I think I get it. you all have helped me see how wrong we are in how we view our illness and yes it is an illness just like, cancer or heart condition. it needs treatment and without it can be life threatening. guys tonight when my husband asks what is wrong as I know he will, ( I know he senses a shift in me as he's been thru it before) I am going to tell the truth. I am sick. I feel very sad, anxious scared and don't really know why. Let the chips fall where they may! I can't cope with the secrets and lies anymore. wish me luck be kind to your selves Stressless

Girl_Anachronism It's so hard just to keep up pretenses everyday
  • replies: 22

I am beyond tired and exhausted.It feels like effort to do anything..Everything I do blows up in my face, and to what end? It's so hard just to keep up pretenses everyday.GA

I am beyond tired and exhausted.It feels like effort to do anything..Everything I do blows up in my face, and to what end? It's so hard just to keep up pretenses everyday.GA