Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Kathleen21 Dark day
  • replies: 11

I'm in a really dark place today . A friend of mine asked me how I felt the other day my reply was I feel like I'm in a strange dark room and I can't find the light switch or the door to get out . My husband said last night I hope you have a good day... View more

I'm in a really dark place today . A friend of mine asked me how I felt the other day my reply was I feel like I'm in a strange dark room and I can't find the light switch or the door to get out . My husband said last night I hope you have a good day tomorrow my reply was I won't ever day is the same , he said nothing because there was nothing he could say so like usual no sex tonight for him. I wait for him to come home that's all I do and he always comes home after work I don't know why he stays with me I am a shocking wife. He tells me to put the TV on or the radio but if I do I still don't here it . I'm just so numb . I made a cake for him the other day and burnt my arm didn't feel it . I really had to push myself to make the cake took me so long as I kept forgetting what the recipe was and to keep checking it was such a easy thing to do but to me it was a nightmare. I just can't wait till 3pm every day so I can have a bottle of wine at least the wine helps. And I know to moor will be the same .

T_H_ untitled
  • replies: 2

hello. i am new at telling people about these kinds of things. i haven't got properly diagnosed and i don't exactly want to. i have gone through depression before and it's happened again, it's not easy to deal with alot of the time so i try to block ... View more

hello. i am new at telling people about these kinds of things. i haven't got properly diagnosed and i don't exactly want to. i have gone through depression before and it's happened again, it's not easy to deal with alot of the time so i try to block it out so it doesn't interfere with my personal life. it's been going on for the last few months to a year and it's still difficult and i feel like it's getting worse, for lack of a better term, the thing is i actually have a hard time trusting new people when it comes to talking about things like this and i would like to know if anyone has any tips as to how i could feel better without really going to other people. thank you.

Someone11 I don't know what to do anymore
  • replies: 9

I went off my meds a few weeks ago. I have no family, my few friends live in another state and I don't feel ok. I' m scared that my marriage will fail and I'll be completely alone in the world. I keep thinking of self-harming, not because I want to d... View more

I went off my meds a few weeks ago. I have no family, my few friends live in another state and I don't feel ok. I' m scared that my marriage will fail and I'll be completely alone in the world. I keep thinking of self-harming, not because I want to die, but because I just don't want to have to live for a little while. I would want someone to find me straight away, and tell me I can just go live in a hospital for a little while and not be responsible for anything . I don't know how to be close to people and I feel dead.beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

DarklyRuby Lost The Only Thing I Love
  • replies: 4

I've been depressed for a long time, and the only thing that's held me together was drawing. I love drawing. I use to have piles of drawings. I can't explain why but I destroyed all of them. That left me broken hearted. I feel like I have nothing now... View more

I've been depressed for a long time, and the only thing that's held me together was drawing. I love drawing. I use to have piles of drawings. I can't explain why but I destroyed all of them. That left me broken hearted. I feel like I have nothing now. Worse than that, I can't seem to draw anymore. Nothing I draw seems to come out well anymore. I hate being unproductive. I just don't know what to do. I was already depressed but now I feel twice as bad. All advice is welcome.

xav2186 narcissistic injury
  • replies: 1

I am hoping someone might be able to share their thoughts on this mental health condition, narcissistic injury. I have been diagnosed with this condition, narcissistic injury 18 months ago. I am sometimes overwhelmed by terribly violent thoughts but ... View more

I am hoping someone might be able to share their thoughts on this mental health condition, narcissistic injury. I have been diagnosed with this condition, narcissistic injury 18 months ago. I am sometimes overwhelmed by terribly violent thoughts but they are no were near as controlling as what they used to be. Sometimes the thoughts are like an out of control missile which can turn on me, suicide, self harm. It causes me incredible mental distress and pain, the pain may last for short moments, hours and long days. I have been admitted to a psychiatric hospital on three occasions. You feel so distressed sometimes because it is off the charts. When in hospital I was told it was not appropriate to share my thoughts with other patients as it may scare them. The only persons i can tell is my psychotherapist, who I am very lucky to have and some close friends. - Any feedback this character (villian) receives is usually perceived as a personal attack in him self which sends him into an inner rage, this rage is often disproportional to the ‘offence’ and will manifest itself through extreme irrational thoughts. I call it rage but actually it is really a very deep sense of pain and hurt. The villain is narcissist very pre-occupied with him self, he is at his best (worst) when something important needs to be done. This villain is not some random fictitious thing that has just appeared out of no where, he was conceived out of a need to serve a purpose, which was up until now, helping me cope and survive - hope this make sense.The hospital that i have been going to is actually very relaxing, the staff are fantastic and there is a real feeling of community among the patients. I would encourage anyone with a mental health issue to speak to their doctor about getting an admission. But mine is a private clinic so I am not sure how this compares to some public psych hospitals.Never the less I am really interested in hearing from someone with this condition, As a consequence I have developed anxiety and am on AD and I am in fear of when the next episode may happen. Does any one out there have this condition.beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636

JPR What to do??

I am new to this so lets see how it goes. I have been diagnosed with Depression and GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) I have been changing meds for the last few months with the guidance of a Psychiatrist but recently I feel as though they just aren'... View more

I am new to this so lets see how it goes. I have been diagnosed with Depression and GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) I have been changing meds for the last few months with the guidance of a Psychiatrist but recently I feel as though they just aren't working. I am constantly feeling like my heart is going to jump out of my chest. I feel like I am going to be sick. I don't want to eat, I don't want to do anything! I own my own business with my husband and I don't even want to go to work. I just want to sit and watch TV. I have recently put on 13kg's with the latest change of meds. I am the BIGGEST i have ever been and not liking it. I am jumpy and everything my husband and daughter do I find something wrong with it. I am over feeling like this, I am over being like this. I am just over it altogether. How do people cope with their ups and downs? I am struggling!

feelingblue87 REady to give up

I've lived my whole life with mental illness and lack of joy. Lately I've been feeling so bummed out and miserable I wish I were dead. I am a long term heavy smoker and I keep waiting for the day I get lung cancer so I could let it kill me and escape... View more

I've lived my whole life with mental illness and lack of joy. Lately I've been feeling so bummed out and miserable I wish I were dead. I am a long term heavy smoker and I keep waiting for the day I get lung cancer so I could let it kill me and escape from this miserable existence. I'm 52 and I'm fed up. I don't want to feel this way as I would like to have some feeling of purpose and few periods of happiness here and there. I am under the care of a mental health proff. but I"m already taking medication. Maybe it's not working anymore. It seems like I'm feeling worse and I don't know if any other meds could help. I havent wanted to talk to my practitioner because all she'll do is send me to a psych ward where I'll be locked up and unable to smoke or do anything. I'm heavily addicted to smoking and don't intend to quit. I feel awful as I've been feeling pretty lousy over the past year. I'm open to advice and shared experiences. beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

Loz43 Robin Williams: despair, depression, bullying
  • replies: 20

With the terrible news of Robin Williams losing his battle with depression really hit home today, even though I have never been suicidal it has crossed my mind. I was so saddened that he felt so helpless and couldn't see the light at the end of the t... View more

With the terrible news of Robin Williams losing his battle with depression really hit home today, even though I have never been suicidal it has crossed my mind. I was so saddened that he felt so helpless and couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel Then today at work a co-worker was bullying another co-worker and I just couldn't let it go. I had a word with my boss and said how upset that I was with this situation and it was uncalled for and totally disrespectful. What if this person that was being bullied suffered depression it could have been so detrimental to her health. I am proud of myself for speaking up as I probably wouldn't have wanted to rock the boat in the past. I am feeling sad about Robin Williams and I am so upset, angry and my heart aches for the person who was being bullied today. I just needed to share with you all as I don't really have anyone close that I can share these feelings with

momentaryhappiness new and confused
  • replies: 3

Hi I’m new to this website and i need your advice... For the last month or so I have had little motivation to do anything and i think losing my job almost 2 months ago is a main contributor to this since i now barely leave the house. lately I’ve been... View more

Hi I’m new to this website and i need your advice... For the last month or so I have had little motivation to do anything and i think losing my job almost 2 months ago is a main contributor to this since i now barely leave the house. lately I’ve been in bed all day finding myself in tears for no reason or just crying of the smallest things. I’m doing an online course and the past few weeks i open it and no matter how hard i try i just can’t get myself motivated to do it or i get distracted straight away. Im beginning to have massive fallouts with my family and pushing them away. But in saying this i go out with my friends at least 3 times a week at night and I’m happy i also eat and sleep normally. i did the checklist test on this website out of curiosity and i got 30 which I’m very surprised about because i was honestly just thinking I’m just having a few bad days…. i just don’t know what to think

Tatsuki How to help a friend as well as yourself?
  • replies: 4

I was diagnosed with depression in early 2012. During 2013 I was fine, I had some ups and downs but nothing too serious. Then 2014 came around, and I've slowly been slipping. A couple of my friends know about it, and when I told my now ex-boyfriend h... View more

I was diagnosed with depression in early 2012. During 2013 I was fine, I had some ups and downs but nothing too serious. Then 2014 came around, and I've slowly been slipping. A couple of my friends know about it, and when I told my now ex-boyfriend he simply didn't want to deal with it and left. I don't want to tell my family because I'm scared they'll treat me differently, but it's starting to affect my life in more ways then it ever has before. I struggle to find reasons to leave my house and I've barely been to uni. Now one of my close friends, who's been helping me cope, has recently told me they're suffering as well. I don't know how to be there and look after them if I can barely look after myself. I don't know how to be strong. Some days are better than others, I've been feeling ok the past few days. But I know it's just a matter of time before I fall back down the rabbit hole. Please help