Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

misty2016 up and down on the emotional merry goround
  • replies: 6

hi i'm a newbie to this bb and to forums generally have depression and anxiety and difficulty with emotion regulation not looking forward to xmas, estranged from family and just finished a 6 yr relationship i find it comforting to read and hopefully ... View more

hi i'm a newbie to this bb and to forums generally have depression and anxiety and difficulty with emotion regulation not looking forward to xmas, estranged from family and just finished a 6 yr relationship i find it comforting to read and hopefully share with others who understand depression and anxiety

ci Missing the person I used to be!
  • replies: 11

How did this happen how does someone that is so independent so strong and capable turn into a burden to the ones they love the most. My anxiety and depression been at its worst the last 2 months scary at times but now I find I'm sick physically I've ... View more

How did this happen how does someone that is so independent so strong and capable turn into a burden to the ones they love the most. My anxiety and depression been at its worst the last 2 months scary at times but now I find I'm sick physically I've caught bug my son brought home can't shake it started to feel better last night and bam wake up with migraine worst one in ages. My poor husband stayed home yesterday to give me hand chance to rest and hopefully get well he came home at lunch to check on me to find me hiding in the dark really unwell with migraine I could see the look of oh really what next! he is amazing support but I feel like my mind and body is failing me and I can't do what I need to do as a mum or wife he and the kids deserve so much more than me. I used to be the rock of my family I sorted everything and took care of everyone would hardly ever get sick and push through it when I did. Now I seem to catch every bug and it hits me hard. How long will my family put up with me I'm not the person they love anymore!

geoff depression for our loved ones
  • replies: 1

when somebody we love has developed depression and they can't tell you, is sad and upsetting, because all we want to do is help them through this terrible journey, and then take their hand and guide them through the tough times ahead, because without... View more

when somebody we love has developed depression and they can't tell you, is sad and upsetting, because all we want to do is help them through this terrible journey, and then take their hand and guide them through the tough times ahead, because without doubt, it's a path they have never encountered before. Geoff. x

StephD I am going to cure my depression!
  • replies: 3

I have severe depression and I think it's about time to get rid of it. If people can cure other diseases then why not depression? I am not going to mask this thing with medication. I am going to eat healthy, and avoid sugar like the plague. I am goin... View more

I have severe depression and I think it's about time to get rid of it. If people can cure other diseases then why not depression? I am not going to mask this thing with medication. I am going to eat healthy, and avoid sugar like the plague. I am going to exercise more. Drink more green tea. I am going to watch funny movies and go places even if I have no motivation. I am going to quit smoking. I am going to listen to more meditation. I am going to try damn hard to think positive. I am going to try to get rid of this bastard once and for all. I will try neuroplasticity techniques. I will not let this thing eat away the rest of my life! Even if I have to pretend to feel emotion. If something sad happens I will pinch myself until I cry. If something exciting happens I will jump up and down and smile. If I feel I should be angry I will frown. If I practice feeling emotion, maybe one day I will. Does anyone else have any tips for me? I am going to cure my depression.

bluejellyfish87 starting is the hardest. ..
  • replies: 9

Weird when you have so much to say but feelings are hard to express. Seems words can't describe the gravity if ones heart ache. The atmosphere of my house is heavy, I wear the burden. My guilt, my loveless, lifeless existence makes me weaker every da... View more

Weird when you have so much to say but feelings are hard to express. Seems words can't describe the gravity if ones heart ache. The atmosphere of my house is heavy, I wear the burden. My guilt, my loveless, lifeless existence makes me weaker every day. People are so dismissive of my emotions... If I fall down the people I prop up fall too. It feels like my pain is irrelevant, I'm screaming in the Forest. Words can't describe the weight on my shoulders the pressure on my chest... feeling so alone

BBUser10 Do you let your loved ones read your posts ?
  • replies: 1

Hi just wondering how many of you tell the people closest to you that you post here ? I'm thinking about telling my wife I post here and that if it helps her she can read my posts ...... It's hard to tell someone close how you feel , but easier to po... View more

Hi just wondering how many of you tell the people closest to you that you post here ? I'm thinking about telling my wife I post here and that if it helps her she can read my posts ...... It's hard to tell someone close how you feel , but easier to pos about it to people going through the same cheers

BBUser10 Depressive episodes .... How to get through them without hurting wife
  • replies: 4

Hi Guys i am averaging 1 depressive episode per week anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days since kicking my meds 7 months ago. the other 5 days are great filled with closeness to my wife and I find it hard to remember what depression fills like , the BAM s... View more

Hi Guys i am averaging 1 depressive episode per week anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days since kicking my meds 7 months ago. the other 5 days are great filled with closeness to my wife and I find it hard to remember what depression fills like , the BAM something is said and triggers the black dog ! Im looking for advice of coping methods? at the moment I end up alienating my wife , she try's to talk to me when I start spiralling down checking if I'm ok but a lot of questions frustrating and end up snapping then I go through a stage of getting angry with the kids and her which ends in a row, the I get to the sad/crying phase when I climb under the covers listen to sad music and cry when this is done I feel physically drained and mope around for a few hours then it lifts. i can see my wife getting more and more worn down each time and it puts our releonship back a few steps every time ( we are trying to become close again and regain sex life after no sex on meds)...... Does anyone have similar issues ? Or advise on the best way to cope? Ideally I would like to live with this weekly episode without if affecting my family TIA

Tiny_tears Wow... I say thank you to you All..

Wow what can I say.. I have been on this site minamum a week.. And all I can say is wow, you all have helped me, it's hard to explain. I be found it hard to find some one to talk to that actually understands me, I hadn't found that in so many years t... View more

Wow what can I say.. I have been on this site minamum a week.. And all I can say is wow, you all have helped me, it's hard to explain. I be found it hard to find some one to talk to that actually understands me, I hadn't found that in so many years that I thought I was starting to go mad, bam one week with you guys and my attitude has changed, my view on life has changed. I'm even understanding i may not be as mad as I thought I was, I'm finding such positive attitudes and just helpful advice and information, I find I can be totally honest and express myself, and that's thanks to the broude range of experiences and minds, found in the forums here, Thankyou, everybody have their own situations going on, but we all stop and express and share, you are so positive and helpful, by doing that you are not just helping others, but also helping ourselves. tip of the day.. If you love and care for someone, u don't always have to agree with them, we are all Intilted to our opinions, but if you learn to understand them, they will learn to understand you. God bless

Tiny_tears Every things going wrong

I'm in my 30's and 3 years ago I spit from a long time relationship, he kept the kids due to me having to move into my car for a bit. I took it to court to get visits and I do, I see them every second weekend, but for the past 3 years I just haven't ... View more

I'm in my 30's and 3 years ago I spit from a long time relationship, he kept the kids due to me having to move into my car for a bit. I took it to court to get visits and I do, I see them every second weekend, but for the past 3 years I just haven't been able to make anything work. I always end up worse of at the end of the year then when it started. Last year ended with me living in a back packers and not really having much going for me. During the year I got a good paying job and a apartment and everything seemed to be going ok for a few months, but the apartment block was to noisy and was affecting my work so I left and moved in with a friend. Well not even a month later I lose my job, I lose my licence, and my house mate kicked me out all in a space of 3 months. Now I back living in my car with out a licence and I can't even see my kids. I'm extremely depressed and just feel sick all the time, I'm nasty and hurtful to people and I'm just not a nice person to be around. I didn't have a good childhood my parents bought me to wa as a kid and dumped me on the side of the road the day we go here and I haven't seen them since, I just feel like I'm a failure in life I can't do anything right i cant bare not seeing the kids they are only 6 n 8. And I feel like I've let them down so much. I suck at living life and I don't know what to do.