Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Angel_423 Self-diagnosed Depression
  • replies: 1

Hey, My name is Angel_423. I'm a pretty average person. I strive academically, I have the most hysterical laugh and I crack awkward jokes. But recently - nothing feels 'good' anymore. My parent's fight. A lot. And when I get between them to allow the... View more

Hey, My name is Angel_423. I'm a pretty average person. I strive academically, I have the most hysterical laugh and I crack awkward jokes. But recently - nothing feels 'good' anymore. My parent's fight. A lot. And when I get between them to allow them to calm down, they drag me into their fights and then I side with my mum because she is very timid and my dad is authoritative. But then, I get yelled at. I'm called the reason why the fight started in the first place. I'm sworn at. And they say actions speak louder than words - but not really - it hurts. The words hurt. I just want things to go back to normal, but they don't. Something big happened and my mum doesn't talk anymore. My baby sister isn't getting the nurturing family she deserves and my dad is self-obsessed. I don't know what to do. I just want to be happy again. I'm feeling my energy slowly, painfully being sucked out of me. And sometimes I just can't breathe. If I'm quiet then people ask me what's wrong but I can't say anything because a lot is happening at school and I don't want to burden my friends with anything. I just want things to be normal again. I try to forget, but then I enter my home and it doesn't feel like home anymore. I can't focus. I need someone - anyone - to talk to. Maybe this isn't depression and I say this because I do feel happy when I forget. But as soon as I come back - I'm sad. No one gets it. I'm too afraid to speak up, I don't want to burden others. I just want to talk. I just want to be normal again. I want to laugh hysterically, I want to be awkward and weird... I want to be the old me. Angel_423 x

thatpersoncody Nobody loves me
  • replies: 2

So I am in a group chat with my two friends who are dating. They are always so cute to each other and it makes me so happy to see them so happy together. One time when they were being all cute and stuff they guy sends a voice note of him singing "I l... View more

So I am in a group chat with my two friends who are dating. They are always so cute to each other and it makes me so happy to see them so happy together. One time when they were being all cute and stuff they guy sends a voice note of him singing "I love you a bushel and a peck" from Five Feet Apart. It was at this point when I got down for some reason. The girl was crying cause she was so happy and I was just kinda listening now. They continue doing their thing, but the real breaking point for me was when the guy said, "I told u I would send u to the moon." I just couldnt hold it in. I feel so lonely and empty. No one will ever love me like that and it hurts knowing that. My "girl friend" broke up with me after one day cause she liked someone else before I asked her out but she said yes. The whole time we were dating she was talking about how she was over this guy and that she likes me. The damn morning after we first got together she says I like the other guy still and idk if I can make it stop. Then her friend started sending me messages saying that she liked the other guy more than me and that I should break up with her if i was a good friend. She eventually told me this which just shattered my heart. At this point Im convinced nobody can love me now that I had my emotions just played with right there. I dont know what to do anymore

Angel21 Possible Bipolar partner - Advice please?...
  • replies: 6

My partner has been seeing a Psychiatrist as he possibly has Bipolar disorder. Now 40, his moods change from day to day from overwhelmingly happy to angry the next, sometimes several times per day. 3 weeks ago, he just stopped contacting me. He said ... View more

My partner has been seeing a Psychiatrist as he possibly has Bipolar disorder. Now 40, his moods change from day to day from overwhelmingly happy to angry the next, sometimes several times per day. 3 weeks ago, he just stopped contacting me. He said he just doesn't care anymore about anything and he's realised that he just needs to be alone as any relationship he has seems to always be on his terms which he acknowledged was unfair on me. We were high school sweet-hearts and have only re-kindled our relationship since the beginning of the year (even when we were young he would end our relationship often and I never knew why). The first few months were amazing (with the exception of a mood change here and there) He said he'd never let me get away again and I was his sole mate. He is on medication and has been since December of last year, which I thought was working well (so did he). Then he ran out of his script whilst working away and everything came crashing down (as he didn't realise you shouldn't stop AD suddenly). He is taking them again now but since then his moods have been very low and the depression has slowly been creeping up on him and now he's finding it hard to cope with day to day tasks and seems to not care about our relationship or much else. I asked him to maybe just take some time out for himself and wait until this dark cloud has lifted before he makes any decisions about ending it. In one of this last texts to me last week, he apologised for everything and told me that he has been trying to pull himself together but the more he tries the further he seems to fall and I was perfect for him. He then thanked me for trying my hardest to understand and that he thinks of me every day and what he has missed. He then went on to say "I am so angry at myself you have no idea, I'll always love you". I'm confused and worried about him. I'm the only one who knows about this possible diagnosis and I feel I need to do more to help. I also read that if someone has Bipolar disorder, often there needs to be a mood stabiliser and maybe an anti-psychotic prescribed as well? In the last few weeks I have been educating myself on Bipolar Disorder so I can understand what it is that's going on in his head and how I can help him. I've learned allot about Bipolar but am still unsure of how to go about helping him if he doesn't want me around atm. If he's anything like what he was when we were young, he'll come back but meanwhile I feel helpless. Please help?

GeoKen I dont see the point anymore!
  • replies: 4

I'm 52 and would like to give you a brief overview of the unfortunate event of my life (FYI: This is all real and not even half of it). Don't get me, wrong, I have 2 fantastic kids and have had some really great times in amongst the crud. I suffered ... View more

I'm 52 and would like to give you a brief overview of the unfortunate event of my life (FYI: This is all real and not even half of it). Don't get me, wrong, I have 2 fantastic kids and have had some really great times in amongst the crud. I suffered from Sexual abuse as a child (11ish fuzzy memories), Abandonment by parents at 14, arrested and locked up for 3 months for joyriding in dads car at 15, serious car accident cutting jugular at 15, broke my neck 16, Married at 20/divorced 21. Married again at 22 and was mentally and physically abused by (unstable) wife for 14 years. Both she and I were kidnapped, I was forced to run guns and drugs across borders while she was held somewhere in Nevada, USA. Lasted 4 months of terrifying experiences and threats. Diagnosed terminal in 1996 with no chance of recovery (Change in diet and lifestyle...20 years on ...still here!). My ex-Wife hired (seriously not kidding) someone to kill me and my new partner and child, was forced to flee Aust. There's more but you get the idea, I'm a basket case that keeps having really bad things happen, but I keep smiling and keep trying. Soldier on, they say, Talk about it can make it easier, they say. Time heals all wounds, they say. But none of this is true. I have reached that point where I don't get why I should change to fit the world. I am angry inside, feel the world is unfair (and it is) don't see the point in playing the game according to the established rules of society. I just want to find somewhere to be! Somewhere to grow a garden and not deal with the BS of the real world. Money, in particular, seems to be the cause of a great deal of anxiety, depression and stress & I hate it. Any suggestions would be great, But before you reply with "go see your Dr" or the like, I have for years but can't afford to go any more. Have no access to qualified professionals and those I did have access to were all spouting the same rhetoric, Talk, Drugs and Time. BS I say.

Rust200 Taking the next step

I was orginally diagnosed with PTSD anxiety and depression after an being a first responder ro a heart attack victim. Now that i am showing good recovery signs the doc is talking about going medication reduction. Was just woundering if others have be... View more

I was orginally diagnosed with PTSD anxiety and depression after an being a first responder ro a heart attack victim. Now that i am showing good recovery signs the doc is talking about going medication reduction. Was just woundering if others have been through the process an have any advice going foward to the next step in my own personal recovery

SamonFish can meds effect you?

Hi, this is my second thread and wasn't sure if it would fit under my previous one. Anyways, when I was in Year 9 I had burnt my hand but the boiler in the boarding house leaked. And then after the school I went to had this camp that everyone went to... View more

Hi, this is my second thread and wasn't sure if it would fit under my previous one. Anyways, when I was in Year 9 I had burnt my hand but the boiler in the boarding house leaked. And then after the school I went to had this camp that everyone went to for a term. During that time I had complained to the nurse that my hand kept on having a tingling sensation. So she gave me these meds that helped get rid of the tingling sensation. However, when my Dad saw the medication he told me it was also an anti-depressant, which shocked me (I stopped taking it when I found out). Long story short, can taking anti-depressants in a short period of time affect you mentally in the future? Thanks for reading

Julz57 Living with depression

Yes it’s quite hard at times because even though I feel “good” quite often I am not. My wife acts as my baseline but recently I suspect that she to is now suffering with depression secondary to putting up with me. Poor thing, I feel awful about it bu... View more

Yes it’s quite hard at times because even though I feel “good” quite often I am not. My wife acts as my baseline but recently I suspect that she to is now suffering with depression secondary to putting up with me. Poor thing, I feel awful about it but while I am unwell there’s not much that I can do. Or is there? So I am just wondering how people ground themselves to reality. I have been through a breakdown, aka break through, and suffered significant cognitive dysfunction afterwards. I am healing slowly but am hoping to find the Holy Grail here. Lol. cheers

Thunderkatnip Kids, separation and depression- I need a reality check to stop feeling sorry for myself

I’m stuck in this space of feeling sorry for myself. It’s stopped me from really moving forward with things that will help me get better. I was diagnosed with postnatal depression when my son was 8 months old. He is now 2.5 years old. I’m still cycli... View more

I’m stuck in this space of feeling sorry for myself. It’s stopped me from really moving forward with things that will help me get better. I was diagnosed with postnatal depression when my son was 8 months old. He is now 2.5 years old. I’m still cycling in and out of what is now depression. I was also diagnosed with complex ptsd a decade ago from an abusive marriage. I thought I was well beyond the grip of ptsd. I worked with my psychologist for 5 years! But it’s back with a vengeance. I’m usually such an independent I’ll do it myself person. Even when I left my abusive relationship the only way forward for me was making it happen for myself. But now after having a baby and living with my partner I found myself clinging to my partner and relationship for dear life. I had depression issues almost immediately after having my son but it took a long time to realise what was happening and what I needed. During that my mental health took a massive toll on us, my son and his two girls. My partner recently asked to separate. He removed his two girls and had them live with their mum full time and is still sharing a space with me and my son. But he is planning on moving out for a month and then I don’t know what will happen. We see a couples therapist who said it is a good decision even though I don’t want to separate. I was crying and breaking down in front of my partners girls when triggered. It was traumatic for them. I felt like such a horrible person for hurting everyone around me. But I couldn’t stop and get better. I hadn’t known my partner long before I found out I was pregnant. I’m from overseas I no family and only a handful of friends who can support. I’ve found myself begging my partner to change his mind. He says he isn’t leaving but needing a break. But in anger says he is done. I have reached out to everyone I know to tell them what is happening. I’m so lost this morning I curled into a ball at my partners feet and begged him not to go to work. I told him I don’t want to be a mother anymore and that I just can’t cope feeling like this anymore. I’ve just had my first psychiatrist appointment and she changed my antidepressant. I see a psychologist fortnightly and a couples counsel or fortnightly with my partner. I don’t think there is anything more I can do but stop feeling sorry for myself but I just can’t get there.

Roseysand Feeling lost and alone
  • replies: 8

For the last couple days I’ve been feeling really overwhelmed with starting university again and the demands of work. I feel like I’m soo far left behind academically and it’s too late to ask my tutors for help and other students already made their l... View more

For the last couple days I’ve been feeling really overwhelmed with starting university again and the demands of work. I feel like I’m soo far left behind academically and it’s too late to ask my tutors for help and other students already made their little group of friends. I don’t want to disappoint my family for wanting to take a break this semester... I can’t speak to my family members cause I’m scared of disappointing them and the last time I opened up to a friend ended our relationship (I haven’t spoken to her in weeks when I told her about my ‘eating habits’.