Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Sebastian4472 Harsh Winter
  • replies: 4

Is there a general feeling that this has been a hard winter. I seem to be doing really tough and so far the warmer weather has not helped.

Is there a general feeling that this has been a hard winter. I seem to be doing really tough and so far the warmer weather has not helped.

GinaS Partners constant stress is extremely hard to deal with when I already struggle with Bipolar
  • replies: 3

Hi All, Im needing some advice on how to deal with my home life. I was diagnosed with BP in 2006. It has been an extremely rough road finding the right medication balance but i got there . My partner of 7 years has a stressful job and a very demandin... View more

Hi All, Im needing some advice on how to deal with my home life. I was diagnosed with BP in 2006. It has been an extremely rough road finding the right medication balance but i got there . My partner of 7 years has a stressful job and a very demanding 12 yr old son who comes to stay with us every second week. I understand the stresses that my partner faces as we work in the same industry field , however my partner is always extremely stressed and everyday i find myself hiding away as its the worst trigger with my Bipolar. He is a wonderful man , however quite self focused on his own day to day workings. Over all the years i have communicated with him the best i can about Bipolar disorder, given him booklets , website links , taken him to appointments and advised him of triggers etc etc.the last 2 months through a medication adjustment because of getting older and its been extremely difficult with the side effects and just trying to be aware of my behaviour in the household and trying not to affect everyone,,, its been tough! The main issue is , my partner will come home every night and unload a huge amount of venting stress on me from the day he has had at work,, usually by the time hes finished venting he rarely asks me how Im feeling or even how my day was. By the time hes finished,im so exhausted from taking on a days worth of his stress, i will go and sit under a running shower and cry my eyes,out then move around quietly for the rest of the evening walking on egg shells in the hope of not starting up another venting session i have to listen too. Im at the point that i dont want to go home in the evening just so i dont have to drown in his stress another day longer. He is very aware that his stress is one of the biggest triggers as we've discussed it numerous times but it just doesn't change anything. some evenings i will get up and walk away mid conversation as i just cant take the negative venting any longer ,, then he will realise its too much ,, but avoid me like i have the plaque for the rest of the evening. I feel im the one doing the supporting role but when i require the support , its simply not available to me as he virtually has no room left mentally to accommodate my stress or issues and give support. How can i change this toxic routine and get the loving support i need sometimes as the episodes ive had over the last few years have been brought on by his stress

normal_guy Understanding my situation
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone, This is my first post so thank you for reading. I would very much appreciate anyone who may have answers or have been in a similar situation to shed some light on why I am thinking the way I am. Lately, I have been feeling depressed and ... View more

Hi everyone, This is my first post so thank you for reading. I would very much appreciate anyone who may have answers or have been in a similar situation to shed some light on why I am thinking the way I am. Lately, I have been feeling depressed and worthless finding it hard to find motivation about nearly everything. I am confused about why I am feeling this way as I have so many good things in my life and should feel lucky and happy to have them. A couple of years ago my partner and I built our first home, I am married to an amazing supporting wife, I have a full-time job, I am studying a degree at university part-time and we are both in good health. I am very grateful for all these things and there are no issues there. But, I find myself thinking about how worthless I am on a daily basis. I feel as though anyone who meets me does not like me and looks down on me like I am also worthless. Some days I find myself about to burst into tears for no apparent reason and then start thinking how my family would probably not miss me that much if anything happened to me. My wife does not know how bad I feel some days as I try to keep my head up and hide everything, pretending I am ok. In recent years I left the defence force and have become very anti-social. It wasn't until a year ago I realised I did not have any friends which sounds a bit sad. I used to have heaps of friends and a very active social life but feel as though no-one has much time for me anymore. These feelings of worthlessness and sad thoughts keep getting worse as time goes on. I have not thought of suicide but instead, I think of how I got to this point. I feel like I should not be complaining about anything in my life and nothing is actually wrong but I feel as though I am sinking and cannot get out of this point in my life. I admit I am embarrassed to talk about this to anyone being a typical bloke and ex-defence soldier because I don't want anyone I know to judge me.

rachisdepressed Depressed for months

Hey to anyone is for some reason looking at this I have been having many episodes of depression for months. It is about all the arguing with my friends. I never showed it, but i have been depressed. Recently, the bomb hit. One of my best friend stabb... View more

Hey to anyone is for some reason looking at this I have been having many episodes of depression for months. It is about all the arguing with my friends. I never showed it, but i have been depressed. Recently, the bomb hit. One of my best friend stabbed me in the back by saying they were not my friend anymore. The entire friendship group was broken. One of my friends decided to move on and go find new friends. But me and the lat friend were the only ones who were really disturbed by what had happened. I have been depressed in my head for months, but I was sick of keeping my emotions inside and started showing my feelings. Tired, grumpy and not listening. My parents called my lazy, but they don't understand. The only person i have told is the friend who stuck by my side. I keep thinking that it is my fault. As my only friend and the friend who broke up with me became friends again. It hit me like a ton of bricks. The friend who broke up with the whole group didn't want to be MY FRIEND! I have been depressed and I don't know what to do. The days keep dragging on and i feel sad almost every minute. i don't know how to tell my parents and i have no idea what to do! If you have any suggestions they are very much appreciated! thank you for whoever s wasting their time on hearing this. Depressed for months

Zyler Thank you. My story.
  • replies: 2

Thank you If it wasnt for beyond blues call line I wouldn't be alive right now. I suffered alone and in silence with severe depression and anxiety issues for over a decade before it all became too much an I attempted to take my own life. Luckily I su... View more

Thank you If it wasnt for beyond blues call line I wouldn't be alive right now. I suffered alone and in silence with severe depression and anxiety issues for over a decade before it all became too much an I attempted to take my own life. Luckily I survived and got the help I needed , doctors medication and support from your great organization. I lost alot because of my suicide attempt, my fiance, the love of my life left me, my depression had taken too much of a toll on her, I cant blame her really. I must admit I again thought about taking my own life when she left thankfully many calls to the support line got me through it. Today im much happier, i used to be unemployed unable to leave my house (rented) and unable to find much happiness in anything but now just over a year since my suicide attempt I'm running my own online advertising firm with a few solid clients and looking to take on far more. I'm happy, able to leave my house ( still renting) and enjoy the outdoors. I miss my ex fiance deeply I dont think that will ever change but thanks to you amazing people at beyond blue I now know I have a future, I have goals, (something I've never had before) I want to buy my own place, build my advertising firm up and I want to get to a place that I'm well off enough that I can give back to the community and help others that are struggling with depression. I guess that's part of what this post is, it's a thank you to beyond blue and hopefully an eye opener to those reading it because trust me if this is something that I can do then you can to.

thebull Work for a trillion dollar company get abused every day. Feel boxed in and no way out.
  • replies: 5

As mentioned I work for a Trillion dollar company. Who takes customer importance over their employees. Essentially as an employee you can do nothing right, well not with a manager like mine. You can be abused, sworn at, see graphic nature pictures, a... View more

As mentioned I work for a Trillion dollar company. Who takes customer importance over their employees. Essentially as an employee you can do nothing right, well not with a manager like mine. You can be abused, sworn at, see graphic nature pictures, and its like oh well you'll be right take another call, and don't stay offline for longer than two minutes. I am stuck in a lowest form of depression once again as I am applying for jobs which I was once very skilled for, but now since working for this company nobody seems to want to hire me I am lucky if I get to interview stage. I know I never want to do this type of role again ever in my life though and discourage anyone else from it. I am sick of being abused everyday and people not accepting responsibility for their own actions. I dunno what to do, I have given up at this point, I used to be very skilled and would pick up a job within one or two interviews, thought this would be a good move a a short amount of time, oh how I was wrong. It's like an Australian sweat shop where there is no care, no responsibility for the employee. No debrief if you have a bad call etc. It just get back on the phones and deal with it. Anyway enough of my complaining, needed to vent. Going to take something and have a sleep. Yes just a sleep. Although I do want to run away from society and go live in the wilderness with my dogs and have nothing to do with it. I think the world population is gaining more and more people who feel entitled and show no regard for the person they are speaking with and want to blame other for their mistakes. Thanks

Katie____L Friendship troubles idk what do to
  • replies: 1

ok so i went to brisbane with my best friend and her cousin who in child safety, i felt left out alot cause she hasnt seen her cousin in a year which wasnt a problem just felt left out but she invited me to it so i try to enjoy my self. but anyway i ... View more

ok so i went to brisbane with my best friend and her cousin who in child safety, i felt left out alot cause she hasnt seen her cousin in a year which wasnt a problem just felt left out but she invited me to it so i try to enjoy my self. but anyway i had no meds that day which made it diffcult to enjoy myself. anyway we went to the mall and we sat down and we got maccas but she threw napkins at her dad but i thought she was mad at me so i went to toliet try to clam down it didnt work i had a psychosis epsiode causing me to throw things and casuing my friend to run away who didnt help me out at all she wasnt scared at all though she and her father cant be toghter or the police take him away anyway child safety call me a dangerous friend and she cant be friends with me now so i feel alone cause in the heat of the moment i said not talk to me ever again and i am sorry for that and also she literally said i cant hear voices telling me to commit crime but i am so idk what she on about i miss her i wish she knows i am sorry but she doesnt listen and tell me to grow up and change myself which is diffcult for me casue i dont want to change but i want to be friends with her still i miss her

Emery_E I don't recognise myself, and I'm scared to get help
  • replies: 1

I've suffered with mental health issues for many years now. First, it was anger issues, but after I came out as trans that disappeared. Then it was major depression and anxiety. I stayed at a psych ward for a couple weeks for suicidal tendencies when... View more

I've suffered with mental health issues for many years now. First, it was anger issues, but after I came out as trans that disappeared. Then it was major depression and anxiety. I stayed at a psych ward for a couple weeks for suicidal tendencies when I was 16, and then a Y-PARC when I was 18. After so many years of struggling, I lost my ability to trust. All the psychs and therapists I have ever seen have only ever looked at me with pity and judgement, and several of them have outright betrayed my trust in them. The last one I saw decided I was too high risk, and forced my mother and brother to leave their jobs early so that I could be taken to hospital two hours away. Once there we had to wait three hours before I was seen by anyone, where I was promptly turned away because there was nothing they could do to help me. I got over that - rather, I accepted that nobody would help. This year I've struggled, but I've gotten my life together. Although I did quit my job, it was for the best. Verbal abuse from customers and the occasional manager (I worked at McDonald's) was slowly driving me insane. I'm at uni, and have a course set for my ideal career as a Chaplain in the Defence Force. I'm also highly involved in my Church. My faith is what saved my life, and God is the only reason I live. But I still hurt. Each time I think I'll talk to somebody, open up and tell the truth, I can't. I can't trust professionals, I can't trust my friends, I can't trust my family. But I also can't trust myself. I've still got two assignments and an online exam to complete for this semester, and I keep putting them off because I can't focus. I can feel myself becoming emotionally detached. Even as I write this, I can feel myself falling apart. These last two days, whenever I look at myself in a mirror, I don't recognise the man looking back at me. I see a stranger. I don't even know what I look like anymore. I know I need help. I have an un-diagnosed eating disorder, nicotine addiction, and I'm also probably developing a drinking problem. But I can't get help. I just don't know what to do anymore.

FireflyXX Not coping at work - HR process?
  • replies: 5

Hi, I've worked as a nurse at a public hospital for 30 Years. Struggling with treatment resistant depression the last couple of years. Motivation finally improving but not coping well at work. Have a supportive, but junior manager who has made some t... View more

Hi, I've worked as a nurse at a public hospital for 30 Years. Struggling with treatment resistant depression the last couple of years. Motivation finally improving but not coping well at work. Have a supportive, but junior manager who has made some temporary accommodations for me but management are saying to continue to do so would be unfair on the other staff and I'm supposed to be finding a position "more suitable". I applied recently for a job in a less challenging area of the hospital but was unsuccessful. A very stressful situation at work last week resulted in a worsening of my condition and I'm now taking some (more) sick leave. My question is, do I now ask for a formal HR process to assist ("manage" me)? I havent done so untill now as my psychiatrist advised strongly me against it, saying they would "F*&*k me up", deliberately put me in a position I hate in order to get rid of me. I know this does happen. His advice was to actively seek other employment myself . I'm at the point of needing (small) doses of a sedative at work to calm my thinking which really is dangerous and untenable. Taking leave has not been of any benefit work-wise and I need some more permanent changes. I am planning to see a psychologist to assist with coping strategies. What are people's experience with HR processes at work? Should I push for a more formal process? I know I'm within my rights.

Another1one2 Not sure what's wrong with me

Hi. First time on here, but really it's my last option. Two years back when I was 16, out of the blue I felt as if I just couldn't think properly anymore and felt like I had lost all emotional responses to things. Previously easy social interactions ... View more

Hi. First time on here, but really it's my last option. Two years back when I was 16, out of the blue I felt as if I just couldn't think properly anymore and felt like I had lost all emotional responses to things. Previously easy social interactions became a challange, like that natural flow of ideas and thoghts was just gone. At the same time my sleep went to crap. Like two hours of sleep every second night. waited for it to pass but it never did, I also thought it may have been that medication I was taking for my adhd had stopped working. Got my doctor to change my adhd medication but it did nothing to improve these issues. Doctor put me on antidepressants and I think I was diagnosed with depression. So far I've tried multiple different medications. None of them have done much to improve these issues. It's been 2 years now, been on 4 antidepressants, been to 3 specialist and 2 psychologists, and no one has given me a straight answer to what's causing my issues. My sleep issues have went away, but nothing else has. Either I'm crazy or they're avoiding my questions. So yeah, that's where I'm at, still don't know what's wrong with me. Thanks -Matt