Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Murkywater Feeling worthless n alone
  • replies: 8

hey. ive been having a pretty rough time. I don’t really know what’s going on. My mind is always thinking about stuff. I’ve had a history of bad relationships. I feel like I am a good person. I am always doing what I can for everyone. But now I feel ... View more

hey. ive been having a pretty rough time. I don’t really know what’s going on. My mind is always thinking about stuff. I’ve had a history of bad relationships. I feel like I am a good person. I am always doing what I can for everyone. But now I feel like no one has ever really had my back. People have always taken me for granted. I feel like my generation sucks to be a nice guy. I just feel worthless a lot even though I try my best. I feel down. I can’t sleep. I’m often crying. I kind of miss my ex girlfriend. Even though she treated me wrong and was toxic and manipulative . It felt like someone cared a bit. my cat passed away last year. I miss her a lot. i just feel like I have no one. Voices in my head just keep asking me if anyone cares or if anyone notices kind of thing. I just wish someone out there could understand. I feel like I’m going crazy. This has been going on for a while. I’ve gotten help from a doctor recently. But tonight just feels really bad. I just don’t know what to do

TR485 everybody lies
  • replies: 1

Honest truth required. Who in their right mind can offer me some advice, I don't know who can help me. I have been living in a foreign country for the past 5 years. I have completed my 3 year studies from the local university while working part time ... View more

Honest truth required. Who in their right mind can offer me some advice, I don't know who can help me. I have been living in a foreign country for the past 5 years. I have completed my 3 year studies from the local university while working part time and only getting the tuition fees paid. Upon completion of studies, I got my first job in my field of study but after the probation period, I was made redundant. Depression hit me when I was back to working midnight to dawn shifts at the local service station. I kept applying for work but nobody accepted me. I then worked in a restaurant as a bartender, and left that job because the management was being horrible and I would only find solace in drinking and that was a problem. I was not finding any other work and then my lease ended. I found a place that would accept cash and rented it out but due to the pandemic, I lost my job at the cafe and I am being evicted because I do not have the money to pay for rent nor do I have a place to go. That is because my visa expires today and I have no clue what to do? Should I stay here and study a degree that is going to be beneficial in the long run or go back to a country where I have spent less time than here. if anybody tells you cultural norm is bs then they are wrong. I had no idea how to behave with my own parents because they did not see certain things in my way. OH and did I tell you that I just realised I have concentration problems, horrible addiction, loss of focus (ADHD). WHAT DO I DO? I FEEL HELPLESS. To anyone reading this here and feeling helpless, I GENUINELY SYMPATHISE WITH YOU. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Sorry, to many capital letters can be daunting. if you're a fan of B99 then you might've read it as Capt. Holt's voice. Thats funny. Anyways, look. I don't know who can help me, but im certain that there are others who have a more genuine concern. Look after one another and stay safe. Peace and love.

SBDM feeeling depressed and Worthless
  • replies: 4

HI everyone, I am not sure if I can get any help from this forum but I am just trying my best to recover. I have this bouts of crying without a reason and I am irritable most of the time. I get agitated with people around me very fast and I know it i... View more

HI everyone, I am not sure if I can get any help from this forum but I am just trying my best to recover. I have this bouts of crying without a reason and I am irritable most of the time. I get agitated with people around me very fast and I know it is not their mistake. I feel I am not liked by anyone and no one wants me anymore. eve a joke or a humor from my partner feels like a nasty comment and I get offended easily. I feel if I am not there people around me would be happier and probably better off. I feel like I am a burden on everyone and no one needs me any more. I had typed this message on another thread and could not get ny response. Probably was wrong on the group. I also sometimes am verbally abused by people around me. Feel I don't have much independence in my life. regards, SBDM

Becca_Maria Trying to deal with possible new diagnosis of BiPolar
  • replies: 10

Hi, for years I dealt with the sadness and feelings of worthlessness as just that, I was weak and just get over it. It wasn't until 2015 or a bit before when I was formally diagnosed as "Depressed" (Im turning 40 this year). From there it has been a ... View more

Hi, for years I dealt with the sadness and feelings of worthlessness as just that, I was weak and just get over it. It wasn't until 2015 or a bit before when I was formally diagnosed as "Depressed" (Im turning 40 this year). From there it has been a trial of medications until we thought we got it right. That is until now when my recent visit to Psychiatrist had him revisiting his theory to question "Mania". Long story short I hadn't been able to see this psychiatrist again till now, so more than 3 years later. First step now is to wean off the medication now that he believes has been basically a toxin to me and making me and my condition worse. I see him again next week for the next step, but basically now we need to delve into a new diagnosis of possible Bipolar. I honestly just feel so weird about it. Excited that I might be able to fix myself "again" but so nervous at such a confronting "disease/illness". How did you deal with a new diagnosis?

Kimmy1872 Newbie
  • replies: 2

Hi I come here to talk about my emotions and finding someone who understands. Im always depressed most days in tears. Sleep heaps. New town. I suffer anxiety PTSD and depression it's getting worse closer to my son's heavenly anniversary he passed sud... View more

Hi I come here to talk about my emotions and finding someone who understands. Im always depressed most days in tears. Sleep heaps. New town. I suffer anxiety PTSD and depression it's getting worse closer to my son's heavenly anniversary he passed suddenly in his sleep at 25. In may last year I found him he left behind a 16 month old son. I'm absolutely broken

number1angel don't know what to do
  • replies: 1

I have anxiety and depression but I think I might have borderline personality disorder as well, I'd like to get officially diagnosed but I can't afford therapy I've felt miserable lately and don't know what to do to help myself im scared I'll push ot... View more

I have anxiety and depression but I think I might have borderline personality disorder as well, I'd like to get officially diagnosed but I can't afford therapy I've felt miserable lately and don't know what to do to help myself im scared I'll push others away cause of how I'm feeling Does anyone with bpd know about what getting a diagnosis is like?

Double_K I feel like I don't fit in anywhere
  • replies: 47

Hi everyone, im new to this so I'm a little wary about it all. ive been feeling down lately and I feel like I don't fit in anywhere

Hi everyone, im new to this so I'm a little wary about it all. ive been feeling down lately and I feel like I don't fit in anywhere

lanarama23 its reached the tipping point
  • replies: 3

Hi all, ive sat starring at this new thread screen for nearly 3 hours tossing between im just being silly and that always present feeling of it doesn't matter. I was diagnosed with extremely severe depression and anxiety almost 12 months ago and have... View more

Hi all, ive sat starring at this new thread screen for nearly 3 hours tossing between im just being silly and that always present feeling of it doesn't matter. I was diagnosed with extremely severe depression and anxiety almost 12 months ago and have been given multiple medications. 2020 was supposed to be a happy year for me. I was marrying the love of my life. Thats where the good vibes stop. Half of my family didn't come and two days later my nan passed away. trying to talk to those around me was stressful as I felt that they didn't understand why I was feeling the way I did "it couldn't be helped" was on repeat from everyones mouth. since then my mental health has only gotten worse, there were things I was looking forward to like going on a well needed holiday for 10 days with no phone reception or people around me. Now I am surrounded by people who become over bearing in the sense that every move I make is questioned and watched. Im scared of myself right now. im scared that I will always invalidate myself. My mood swings are all over the place and I don't know how to live with myself. I thank each and everyone of you for your own strength

ItsWhatever New feelings.
  • replies: 3

I've been struggling for these past few months now with feelings I'm not sure how to describe. I have plenty of good days i think, but i know that deep down-- I'm really not happy. It feels like I have all this pent up sadness and frustration but I c... View more

I've been struggling for these past few months now with feelings I'm not sure how to describe. I have plenty of good days i think, but i know that deep down-- I'm really not happy. It feels like I have all this pent up sadness and frustration but I can't fully feel it. I feel a little empty I suppose. Or like I've been hurting for so long, that now it's just faded into the background and just lingers constantly in the back of my mind. But I would go to school, get busy with school work and volleyball so it wasn't that bad I suppose. But with this virus I'm suddenly left alone with my thoughts. Now I'm struggling to see anything to look forward to anymore. School work is beginning to pile, and I'm too nervous to look at it and I constantly feel like I'm not good enough because I'm avoiding the work, while my friend is acing every assignment. Even now as I'm writing this I feel the pressure of not studying. My friends and I have made a list of things to do when we're allowed to do so, but it's just hard to fully feel excited about them because of what I'm going through. I'm just so tired. I've never been one to tell friends how I'm feeling especially because I can barely comprehend these feelings myself. I can't talk to my parents about it. I don't really know what to do. I just want to cry and lay down-- but I haven't even be able to do that really either. I've never felt this exhausted and nervous and empty before. And I don't know what to do, because these thoughts are so new I'm scared. I just want it to stop. Does anyone know what these thoughts could mean? Am I being unreasonable? Is there anything I can do, myself, to get better?

Kay17 My relationship with Depression
  • replies: 2

I have struggled with anxiety for many years and thought that was the worst feeling in the world. but this, what I believe is depression is completely unknown and it’s hard to explain how I’m feeling. perhaps numb? I feel a lot of guilt too. I’m not ... View more

I have struggled with anxiety for many years and thought that was the worst feeling in the world. but this, what I believe is depression is completely unknown and it’s hard to explain how I’m feeling. perhaps numb? I feel a lot of guilt too. I’m not me anymore. im especially finding work difficult. I work with children and I used to be a good worker! But I am struggling to connect with the children at this point in my depression and this makes me feel so guilty. The children I work with deserve a much better version of me that I am struggling to give right now but I can’t afford to just give up my job either. my patience is minimal, all I do is eat my feelings constantly (gained 30kg in the past 12 months) which further harms my mental health and I just don’t know how to snap out of this. i refuse to take medication, I just can’t! I’m sure it helps some people, but my mum has had a rough journey with antidepressants and I can’t go down that road. I’ve just started taking something natural to help with stress so let’s see how that goes. i know this was caused by alot of stress. An emotionally abusive relationship breakdown, raising a child alone and not being able to connect with anyone at all really. My support system is low.