FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Are we more prone to depression in winter than summer ?

Sueetties
Community Member

Hello,

i haven’t been to this forum for awhile as I thought I had done enough work during my deepest dark days through counselling and exercises. but seems now I am slowly sliding into the deep rabbit hole again. 😞

Is it the weather? Winter triggers depression more than summer or are we more prone to depression in winter? I was at around the same time last year when I first identified my mental health issue. Has anyone experienced similar things? How do you deal with it ?

thank you

4 Replies 4

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Sueetties

Great to see you again and thanks for the very relevant thread topic too!

During winter months for myself I have found my depression elevated compared to summer for sure. In the Northern Territory the wet season results in increased bookings to psychologists. I have had anxiety/depression for a while now and even in recovery winter in Victoria can be a difficult season.....all the grey cloud...getting dark early.....the cold. Ugh!

You asked an excellent question....'How do you deal with it'?

Whether its depression or anxiety I increase my visits to GP as I always feel better after doing so...even just for reassurance. I am on a monthly appointment yet that may change to fortnightly as the cloudy cold doesnt make me feel that great

You mentioned that you are slowly sliding into the rabbit hole again Sueetties. Thats always an awful feeling to have. Can I ask how frequently you see your doc during winter?

I just feel that we have everything to gain and nothing to lose by having a chat to a GP that 'understands'

my kind thoughts

Paul

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Sueetties,

Like Paul has mentioned, this is a very good topic. I have read previously that some people do suffer from seasonal depression. Maybe you could Google that topic and see if there is some information and ideas that may help you through winter.

I also like to talk to my Dr about the ideas I find on Google!

I seem to recall reading it is important to try and get more sunlight when possible in winter to help with depression.

Summer for me is a time when I can feel more depressed. As our area is so hot and I dislike the heat, we have all the curtains and blinds shut to keep out the heat. That added darkness depresses me more. Due to the heat I am reluctant to go outside.

I am more active in winter.

I also realise that depression can hit at any time. Knowing what may help you and putting strategies into place when you can is beneficial any time.

Experiencing depression is not pleasant! Hope you find ways to get back on track. Understanding how you are feeling is important and means you are aware yo may need to do things differently.

Cheers from Dools

A2D2
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Absolutely! In Europe they recognise Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) that stems from lack of daylight.

Soak up some outdoors - For an instant pick me up I like to find somewhere with a great outlook (for me it is the ocean on a wintery day or my garden if it is sunny) and just sit and have a coffee. I sometimes take a book or something to look like I'm busy so nobody interrupts while I sit.

Meet up with friends to sit in the same spot for a chat - I have a friend I meet with every week and we know all the best warm, sunny windows for frosty light filled mornings and places to watch the ocean on steely grey days.

Stay warm - Inside or out, make sure you are wearing the right clothes. Being cold is miserable on its own.

Let the sunshine in - I also make sure I have as much light coming into the house as possible during the day. I built with more glass than brick in my house because I know I need the light. It helps with sleep as well.

Will all this miraculously cure you? Probably not, but if it helps to revel in some warm sunshine for 10 minutes lingering over a cuppa, I say, "Go for it".

Sueetties
Community Member

Hello,

Thanks for your advice.

i guess I just have to look forward to summer where I can enjoy some sunshine and get some vit D. At the moment, I have no counseling session nor medication but I always just think my will power can conquer the nasty depression. I used to be active in summer! Just that cold weather doesn’t motivates me to do exercise. I haven’t moved much since early April.

it makes sense now to know that this is not uncommon. And such thing as a seasonal symptom!? I will google and hopefully find some info there.

thanks again for writing to me and your advice.

🙂