FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

*You Gotta Friend in Us*

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi

I wanted to start this thread so that there was a place that people could introduce themselves and have a chat and make some friends when it seems that is a really hard thing to do in the "real world", that out there in life it is so very hard for people to make friends and maintain friendships and feel like they matter and are of value in a friendship.

So welcome and I can't wait for you all to chat and share with each other and know that you have friends here.

So to start the conversation if you feel it weird to write a post on here....grab a coffee or whatever your chat drink of choice is..maybe an Oat Milk Chai...yum ...and let's get started making new friends....

"What is something that no one would know by looking at you?"

Mine is that I speak Thai.....

Hugs and love as always

Sarah xxxx

51 Replies 51

Hello John, it is great to meet you.

I totally agree in the "Stressed Guy" hopefully was a time and how he is starting to be less in the fore front, I am so happy that you are here and chatting.

I would love to read some of your writing, I am not sure about the link but let me find out, in the mean time you can put snippets in your posts here and share them with us to read, that would be cool.

I am really enjoying the painting and as I said, I am not terribly good at it but it brings me joy and I do like to see what I can and can't do, who knows what my skills will be like when this whole COVID-19 situation fades...I might keep is as a new hobby.

How are you going and how have you been spending your days, I am at work some days as I am with an organisation that has been deemed critical, so with some rules of course and physical distancing I can still work a few days in the office which does break up the four walls at home.

I have found a trap and that is Tik Tok...oh wow...I am totally addicted and I may need an intervention...lol...I could never understand what the fuss was and why my daughter was on there all the time but here we are.....oh dear!!!!

Well it is great to meet you John and I am sorry to hear that your brother's opinions of your work has really effected you, and that they felt it their place to critique your work, perhaps it may have even been a case of jealousy, in any case it is very hurtful and I am sorry John.

Chat soon and huge hugs

Sarah xx

eight
Community Member

i only really see tiktoks that get reupped to other sites like twit and tumblr but the best ones are and i realise how incredibly zoomerish this sounds the ones that are vine's second coming. my favourite before valentines day was like this wild west like showdown between the smart kid and the kid whos repeated this class over and over which ends in a stupid pokemon joke. now my fav's probably this one warning couples thinking of getting rowdy this valentines day do not and goes through this weird conspiracy about scorpios and the seven deadly sins and places where pot is legal to "your child is gay".

honestly runnerups is that guy who dresses up as doug dimmadome from fairly odd parents down to the comically long hat and going to like, burger king and the library, that one guy who wants to terrorise children by photoshopping waldo out of every page of a wheres waldo book, and that weird subgenre of tiktoks that try to emulate bethesda rpgs like fallout and elder scrolls which i always forward to my token tes friend and i think they want my blood more by every one i find and send

Hi Sarah,

I'm alright, I've been trying to focus on some tafe work and have been trying to write a bit more recently.

In relation to stressed guy (Maybe I'll always be stressed but I guess that has more to do with my personality than anything else)

I'll be sure to send through some of my poems in the future for everyone to read. I'd just kind of like a couple more people to read some of my work (If that makes sense)

I'm glad you're enjoying the painting. It doesn't matter if you're good at it as long as it's fun. Keep it up!

Also, it sounds like a good thing that you're going to work a bit. I'm glad it breaks up the monotony for you (I know what you mean, it can certainly get frustrating staying at home all the time)

It's been great to meet you too and don't worry about my brothers. They think they know everything lol. I look forward to talking to you as well as others in the future.

Nice chatting to you,

John

Hey John

Great to chat to you some more and great to also hear that you are doing ok in these really interesting times, thank you for your encouragement on my painting, I put my Easter Rabbit as my profile pic, he is ok but I am under no illusion of an appointment at an art gallery any time soon...lol...but yes, it keeps me busy and I really enjoy it, it does make me happy.

I would really like to read some of your writing so pop some up on here if you would like to share, but only if you feel comfortable to..no pressure. I am glad that the relationship with your brothers does sound healthy and that is really lovely, maybe it is a masculine thing of "ripping it apart" as saying how awesome something is can be emotional and vulnerable...maybe I am being a bit stereotypical or judgy there...lol

It is great being able to go to work a few days, it is nice to break up the four walls of home, and forces me to actually get dressed as opposed to getting around in day pyjamas to change into night ones..lol

It is really great to have you back and look forward to hearing what else you have been up to in these very trying times. There are some really interesting threads on here with people sharing what they are doing in these times, me included and it would be nice to be able to include these things back into my regular life when it returns back, to stop and take notice and appreciate and not take for granted.

So great to hear from you John

Hugs

Sarah xxx

Hi Sarah,

I liked your Easter Rabbit that you had as your profile pic (Not sure if that's the right word since we're not on Facebook)

I assume that cool looking cow is another one of your paintings. If so, it looks really good.

I'll pop up some of my writing in the future. I've just been kind of busy lately.

It's good to hear that you're working a bit and enjoy getting out of the house.

I wish there were more places to go instead of just the shops or to Bunnings (We've been buying some cleaning stuff and storage containers for my house as my parents and I are moving in a few months)

I feel bad for taking so long to reply to you again. Nice chatting to you and I look forward to hear what you've been up to recently.

John

Hey John

No pressure and no feeling bad, you come to chat when you feel like it and we are here for you, be kind to you.

The Easter rabbit was a painting I did, and the cow also, I am using isolation as a time to do some things that I have always wanted to do and have not really ever had the time or the drive to...isolation has given me that so I am taking full advantage of being able to do some painting, now they are certainly not master pieces but I have really enjoyed doing them. My daughter started a "COVID - 19" wall and anyone who does art has to put it up.

Now that the rules have relaxed somewhat hopefully you can catch up with some friends and family and have some time other than the Bunnings outing..lol..but that is exciting that you are moving, hope it is not too stressful for you and that you are enjoying it more that dreading it.

John I am looking forward to whenever the time is that you do decide to post some of your writing, you do it when and if you feel comfortable to.

Well back to the home schooling situation, that is sure a challenging thing but the end is in sight now with a date in which the kids will go back so I think we are all pretty excited about that to be honest. I think that they have a whole new appreciation for school, which is good.

Chat soon John, and no pressure, whenever you feel like it.

Your friend

Sarah

Hey Sarah,

I hope you continue painting and upload some more of your art here in the future. Also the idea for a Covid wall sounds like a great idea.

I'll start off by saying I have no friends.

In regards to moving, It's been really stressful (Apparently I looked it up and it said moving is the most stressful thing in life) After the last few months, I certainly agree with that.

If it's okay I don't really want to keep talking on these forums about my problems (I just seem to come across as a whinger)

With my writing, I'll upload some poems in the next few months on here. Hopefully by then we would have moved and I'll have some more free time on my hands.

I hope you're okay and would like to hear what you've been up to recently.

Nice chatting to you again and I'm sorry if my post was kind of depressing. I also wanted to mention that I've been out a bit more recently. I saw a movie last weekend at the Drive In and I've been to a few shops. So, I guess there's some okay moments thrown in as well.

Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to talking to you more in the future.

Your friend,

John

Hello John

It is great to chat to you some more, I totally respect your choice to chat and to keep it light, I am certainly happy to be your friend... I do want to just acknowledge though that you are certainly not whinging... chatting about your feelings is healthy but I respect your wishes... know I am here if you need.

my painting is going well, I do it from time to time and recently did a cow. I have also planted some veggies with my daughter... I am a hopeless gardener so I have no idea how it will go but we enjoyed shopping for the things and then planting them. I guess these are two things that the current physical distancing rules has provided for me and I am very grateful for them.

I wish to be walking more but that kind of hasn’t happened much, I feel like I am moving from one chair to the next.

A quiet night for me.. I plan to watch The Lion King... I just love it... what are some of your favourite movies?

I hope your writing has been coming along during this time and you have been enjoying that.... I really do look forward to reading some one day.

I had to help my son with some writing last week. It was a creative piece for English where he had to write an alternative ending for Romeo and Juliet. We had Juliet kill her father and run off with Romeo... a little dark but it was fun.

great to chat to you John and look forward to hearing more of what you have been up to.

hugs

Sarah

I can really connect with your post. Most days I really struggle...to the point of just wanting it to be over but I can still mask so well that people don’t know. I help those around me and I smile. My nickname at work is smiley but I want to die. I am a carer and get joy from making a difference in people’s lives.

Dear Freemilly,

We're glad to read that you get some joy from your work. If ever you'd like to talk about your darker thoughts, please remember our support service is available 24/7 on 1300 22 4636. From 3pm to midnight every day you can also chat to them online via https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support

Please keep checking in here on this thread or elsewhere to let us know how you're getting on whenever you feel up to it.