FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Beyond Blue Home Improvement Thread

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi everyone. I'm Geoff and have been a dedicated Volunteer on the forums for 13 years. I am proud to have stopped some of the stigmas that are associated with mental health as well as doing my best to help others too

Before my health went south I was a builder in all aspects of home construction and renovation. If you don't have a handyman around I hope I can offer you some tips that may be of help. I have had many years of experience in home renovation and will do my best to help you out if you are stuck and need some advice

I hope my experience may be of help to the people on Beyond Blue and make their life a little bit better. Even if you need help with the most basic painting job or putting up a shelf I can help there too with some tips

I will do my best to get back to anyone that has a question when I can as this is social yet important thread

Geoff
1,301 Replies 1,301

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Geoff,

I would like to repaint our front door.

How do i tell what sort of paint is already on it?

Can i paint straight on top with my new colour or do i have to strip it back first and redo?

Thank you 😊

🌻birdy

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Birdy, you can paint oil based paint over acrylic paint, but only certain water based or acrylic paint can be painted over oil based, your paint shop will be able to tell you, however for you to know what type of paint is on, then get a rag and dip it in methylated spirits, then rub it over the paint, if the rag becomes covered with the paint from the door then it's acrylic based paint, so any paint will do.
People are turning away from oil based paint, simply because acrylic paint washes out with water, rather than oil based you need turbs to clean the brushes, but what happens is that people can leave the brush in a jar of turbs and it may stay there for days, making it much harder to try and clean.
Just rub down any loss paint, wash down with water a couple of times and you're ready to paint, just put a drop sheet down under the door so no paint will get on the doorstep or on the carpet.
If it painted in oil based paint then rub it down, then wash a couple of times and the paint store will recommend an acrylic paint that will paint over oil based paint and dry as hard as a rock.
Mathy may join in as he works at a large hardware store. Geoff.

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Excellent! Thanks so much Geoff! 👍

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Birdy, tell us how you go. Geoff.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Geoff......and everyone!

Just a note that I recently bought some treated pine sleepers from Bunnings and failed to use gloves when loading them into my XR8. Whoops!

There is a tiny label on the end of the sleepers saying that the preservative is Arsenic based with a toxicity warning. I understand that some people can handle treated pine without an issue but my hands swelled up and blistered within 2 hours after loading only 6 8x8x2's

Its just a yellow flag when handling (some) treated timber....Of course there are retailers that dont allow Arsenic as a preservative in their stock on hand.

Just an interesting observation if it can help any people renovating their home or doing any landscaping

What are your thoughts Geoff?

Paul

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Clarification

I mentioned the treated pine sleepers were 8x8x2 (in Imperial)

In Metric that would be 2400 Long by 200mm wide and 75mm thick

My apologies for living in the past with the old 'Imperial' system. Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Paul, that's a good point and sorry that it affected you so much, timber can be treated with 'Copper Chrome Arsenic', it's a preservative containing copper chromium and arsenic, however there were concerns raised regarding the potential health risks involved with CCA timber.
The Chromium holds the copper and arsenic in the timber and helps to reduce the chemicals leaching out, that's why it's a green colour.
The hardware stores now would be supplying treated timber that you can handle without your hands being affected, simply for legal reasons, so if you handled timber that has affected your hands and you weren't told to wear gloves, a legal case could develop, because you weren't warned.
It has been adviced not to use CCA timber for any children's equipment, patios handrails, new garden furniture or picnic tables, this should be told to you by the hardware store, however it can be used for poles, fencing and/or landscaping.
You will need to ask your hardware store what they sell. Geoff.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, Paul that's awful re the pine/blisters. I would think Bunnings should have proper signage, not just a tiny label at the end of the sleeper. The staff should be more aware too.

perhaps mention it to their head office?

cmf

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Thankyou Geoff & CMF

Its so weird that just a few months ago I bought these sleepers (and yes...I forgot my gloves) and the Copper Chrome Arsenic is all over this product. That little warning was tiny at the end of the sleeper....

Contacting the head office is a good idea CMF. I just think they have their shareholders interests as a priority....not my health unfortunately.....doh!

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Paul, I will contact the Head office for you if you want me to, don't know how far we'll get, but I have done it several times before on other issues, not to Bunnings but other products, please let me know. Geoff.