FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can we improve the forums? Your suggestions and comments please

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.

While we might not be able to implement everything straightaway, or keep everyone happy all of the time, we'd like to hear about what you think we can do better.

This is not a thread for discussing the moderation or editing of individual posts - if you have questions about this please contact the team offline via email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

To avoid repeating suggestions already received, below are some results from our last user survey giving an indication of which new features people would like to see on the forums. This survey was answered by 1,597 users:

44% - Email notification when I have a reply on the forum
39% - Access to the forums via an app
27% - Ability to block seeing posts by specific users
25% - Ability to contact users privately
25% - Ability to use emoticons
25% - Ability to follow posts by specific users
24% - Ability to share links
23% - Forum posts visible only to registered users
22% - A profile, viewable by others users, where I can introduce myself
21% - Ability to quickly access all posts by a particular user
15% - Ability to tag users in a conversation
10% - Ability to share images
6% - Ability to share videos
17% - None of these

Update July 2022 - This discussion has now been closed. Please go to the updated version below to share feedback and follow our updates:

How can we improve the Forums?

957 Replies 957

Hey dunno1, we appreciate your feedback and recognise how frustrating it may be to navigate the many pages across the forums. If you’d like some support with navigating which section of the forums may be best suited for you please feel free to reach out to our moderation team at modsupport@beyondblue.org.au.

Unfortunately with the time lag created by moderation, our forums are not suited to real-time, immediate conversations. If you are distressed and looking for immediate support, please use one of our support service channels such as our support service which is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. One of our professional mental health counsellors at our Support Service will give you support and point you in the right direction for help in your area.

I noticed BB has a YouTube channel and it made me wonder if perhaps BB could do a video about using and/or troubleshooting on the forums? Posts about having trouble working out the forums seem frequent. I wondered if a video walkthrough might be a way to help?

Hey Quercus, thanks for your feedback! That sounds like a really great idea and we will be sure to pass this along. 

Hey Nat and Sophie_M

do we really have a YouTube channel??

Hi Nat!....Online forum management have been working very hard on a new platform for a while. I really hope they can give the new forums the green light! If memory serves you and I were a part of the process with our input. I hope you have doing doing well Nat

my kindest always

Paul

Thanks Sophie and Paul,

I'm glad you think it's a good idea. I found myself remembering searching YouTube for videos when I needed to learn how to do something and figured it might help here too. Sometimes explanations in writing just don't help enough.

Hi Paul... I was a bit surprised too but also happy to find the BB channel. I don't use social media but YouTube is a big weakness of mine (music, meditation videos and random funny things for when I'm low ... It's like heaven for me).

Thanks for your message. I'm ups and downs and always tired but it could be worse. I hope you're doing ok. It's been lovely seeing you so active online when people are struggling so much. Heart of gold 😊.

❤️Nat

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I have a suggestion for reducing the 'lag time' when posting replies:-

Posts stored in 'My Threads' have a need for quicker response - sometimes it can be an hour (or more) before realising/stumbling upon an update. This ends up leaving the replier 'hanging' (not a good feeling).

Since such posts are copied to 'My Threads', would it be simple to attach a sound file 'ding' to draw attention to an update in real time, or a sticky flag on the relevant page which clears once the thread has been accessed?

I feel there is a need for an 'instant messaging' approach despite being a forum platform.

regards,

t.

Hi Tranzcrybe,

Figured I'd share what I know...

For now the system used here doesn't allow BB to add notifications. The moderator team (which isn't big either unfortunately... they haul bum for us as is) would have to send emails and that workload would be absolutely enormous.

There was a new system being designed and as I understand it the company didn't come through for us all so there has been a delay. Last I spoke to the BB team the upgrade is delayed but remains a major priority.

One debate had was whether instant messaging, private messages or similar was a good thing for the forums (apart from notifications).

There are other forums (such as SANE) which allow for tagging etc and that feature prevents me from using those types of forums. I'm uncomfortable with that.
The anonymous nature of these forums (and privacy) is something I need to feel safe. Just a different view I figured I'd share.

Hope that helps somehow.

❤️Nat

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Nat,

The inner workings on the tech side are a lot to comprehend, and I agree that individual notifications would be a nightmare. My suggestion is attempting to add an audible cue to 'My Thread' replies which everyone in that thread will hear and respond if available. Coding-wise, just the addition of "play sound = sound file" to the 'My Thread' dispatch function, could achieve such a result with no additional burden to moderators.

Like any program, I guess there is only so much one can do before starting from scratch. There are many good design implementations to be commended.

Ooh, I also thought that first time posts should be 'sticky' until they receive a reply? On busy days, these can drop to 'page 2' and slip under the radar...

Thanks for your clarification, and I'm happy whatever happens.

Regards,

t.

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, me again (hope I don't become a pest!),

I would like to make a suggestion for the Reply Posts.

Like most Text Box windows, they are fairly narrow and require much scrolling - yeah, I guess that's fine; but it can be hard to proof read for typos and, more importantly, misdirected meaning through grammar or structure deficiencies

I was thinking that an Edit Post could appear beside posters' messages (alongside Report Post) and, naturally, only for the original author (either through My Threads or by requiring user password). For long term integrity, perhaps this could have a time limit (similar to undo for email) just enough to read it through as it appears (30 minutes).

I know it would be great for me as I tend to type much slower than I think, resulting in some faux pas in the process.

Many thanks,

t.

Good afternoon young....(and old)

Any chance of having a thread for "older people"...perhaps over 65, or over 60? Just to cover all the different aspects, positive and negative....e.g. how do you handle the change in your appearance - body, hair, skin etc...when did you realise you were now "elderly" or perhaps don't realise it AT ALL....

the difference in your chronological age...and how you feel "inside" e.g. I still feel the same as when I was in my 30s....is that ok.?...

do some folk find themselves dressing differently...simply because of their age...even though they'd love to dress the same as when they were in their 20s?...there could be all sorts of things to cover.

another one is...realising you recognise more and more names in the "Funeral Notices" in newspapers...people you went to school with etc.....can be a bit of a shock!

are some actually resisting growing older? do some lie about their age? Is it true that older women feel they have become "invisible"?

how do you handle feeling physically attracted to good looking men/women and wanting to form an intimate relationship? Do you flirt like you did when you were young....or would that make you look like an old fool? Just a thought as there seems no section for Over 65s...and then of course I haven't even mentioned the "loneliness" factor. Perhaps your partner has died, perhaps you are scared of your family having to arrange an Aged Care Home for you. Perhaps you shudder at the thought of going into one?

Perhaps you are insistent you don't want to be kept alive if suffering....these things can terrify older people as they realise that the years are creeping up...and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it....if we live long enough...we will ALL get old!

Perhaps it could go in Staying Well......what do others think?