FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Hi Sleepy21

I’m sorry that your rich friend has been seemingly insensitive to your suffering throughout lockdown.

I do, however, want to point out that having a stable income or savings in the bank does mean that people aren’t suffering as intensely through lockdown. It may be different to your suffering but real none-the-less.

I have both but am not immune to MH issues, and neither are my family members. MH conditions do not discriminate.

I struggle everyday to support a child with a serious illness. On top of that, I also run a business and have the well-being of hundreds of people and their families to carry. It is my responsibility to keep them going throughout the pandemic and it is huge. I have not slept or eaten properly since I don’t know when.

I worry about their financial well being, their safety and my ability to protect them from Covid. The stress of keeping the business running, meeting my obligations to my workers and continuing to contribute to Victoria’s economy is overwhelming. Having savings in the bank does diminish my burdens.

To say that people like me are flaunting rules to have a holiday is frankly very hurtful. Some might be. Some removalists might also not be wearing a mask. I just don’t know where it gets us as a society to turn on each other and judge each other.

It’s 2 am. I can’t sleep. I Somehow I have to find the strength to get up tomorrow and keep going through a sixth lockdown.

I’m rambling now, time to go.

Should have said: Having savings in the bank does NOT diminish my burdens.

So tired, upset and stressed literally can’t see straight.

Mermaid8121
Community Member

Needed to come on here after the worst night ever last night at the start of lockdown 6...

I have come to the conclusion that it's best to not look forward to anything anymore, as it just gets taken away from you, and I can't deal with that anymore. And yet the alternative of waking up every morning without anything to look forward to it unbearable. For months I've tried focusing on and appreciating the small things, but even those get taken away.

I'm gutted that the trip I've been planning for months for my 40th birthday is now pretty much certain to be cancelled, but what makes me feel the worst is that this problem seems so petty compared to everything else people are going through. Feeling so upset over missing out on a holiday when so many people are struggling just to put food on the table makes me feel like the most shallow and petty person ever.

Vickish
Community Member
Hey all been well over a year since I posted but I really feel this forum helps. Anxiety is off the charts, when I'm home its worse. Not sleeping, I work in a hospital not as a nurse but in the food department. When I'm busy at work I'm not overthinking everything. My daughter is in vce, son at uni but in and out of online learning. So hard to watch them struggling. My mum is well health wise but she lives on her own. Doesn't drive so I help her alot. Pheeeew I'm tired just thinking about it all. I'm so worried about them all, and I have food on the table, still working full time. Thanks for listening

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Mermaid, welcome to the forums.

HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY you Spring chicken!
I hope you can find ways to enjoy yourself to the nth degree on your birthday. Hugs.
RADICAL SELF-CARE is a thing!

Hey Sleepy, I hear you. Not having any savings or a good income coming in really adds to the burden with all else during this time. Hugs.

Just popped in against my Counsellor's advice hmmm. It's Friday night during Lock Down, so yeah... too cold to garden lol. Got to stay awake to pick up the kids from work at midnight... it's either this forum or pimple popping clips or this forum AND pimple popping clips.
I'm indulging and doing BOTH.

I'm still working full time, except the 40h week was doubled with same pay.

Lots of craziness happening around me.
I'm grateful I've been able to find the grounding necessary to be "ok" after wild C-PTSD triggering reactions to ppl's words and actions.

My Counsellor said something that really resonated deep in my soul for a few days after our appt...
sic lol.... ".... when we are able to 'live normally' aka going about our usual things, movements etc, we relay on OTHER ppl to co-regulate us. But now since we're in lock down, everyone's feeling stressed and there is NO ONE to co-regulate us properly. SO WE HAVE TO rely on ourselves to self-regulate!"

That was profound for me to hear.
It absolutely helped me 100%!

hope it helps others to hear it too.

Love EM

hi SummerRose,

Sorry that statement hurt you.

Sending support to anyone doing it tough in any way. Definitley not trying to single out anyone's choices of staying healthy and happy and what that means to them. Really sorry those words hurt. I've had my own burdens to bear with these lockdowns, and am struggling a lot myself.

Hope u are doing okay with the many people you support.

mental health doesn't discriminate, but just pointing out my relative has never struggled with mental health issues and her complaints about the fruit shop were not reflective of mental health distress. she called the lockdown annoying and a pain, and i felt personally that my experience was different - that rather than being a pain or an annoyance, it was a serious risk to my mental and physical health, and i was unable to speak of it in those terms as a light bother. Hence my disconnect with her situation.

I am very sorry if it seemed I was saying that rich people dont' hav problems, i know that people of all wealth levels have struggles that deserve being acknowledged. My comment about her being bothered by not being able to travel to the preferred fruit shop, was that I'd like to be in a situation where i can even leave the house at any day and choose a place to buy fruit etc and have choices of any kind. Sorry I can't write too much mor eabout this but hoping you are safe, happy, and okay during lockdowns.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
hey golden, have u tried the free month trial with netflix? i'm binging up everythig in lockdown, but i resisted getting it for a long time, because didnt want to be looking at a screen all the time! it has been nice to have stuff to watch, though 🙂 hope ur doing okay there

Hi Sleepy21

I know you meant no harm. I know your words weren’t personal. And I know you are struggling, too.

If I added to your load with my post, I’m really sorry.

I think this period of the pandemic-right now-is the toughest of all. Well, at least for me it is.

My bucket is perpetually full and I seem to be living just to dodge the last drop. Last night, my bucket overflowed. Just context, I know I’m not the only one.

I really appreciate your thoughtful words and understanding.

Kind thoughts to you, always

Alexlisa
Community Member

I’ve come to this thread a few times in the last fortnight, wanting to post because I’m struggling alone in Sydney lockdown, but feeling like it might not be very supportive here. There’s a lot of outrage posts about leaders/lockdown (non)compliance/policy decisions/state vs state. It’s everywhere at the moment, and I’m finding it overwhelming that it’s here too.

I live alone and haven’t seen anyone I know, in person for 6 weeks. My social contacts before lockdown were my psychologist, NDIS buddy/worker and weekly visits to my parents. I’m in one of the hotspot, harder locked down LGAs. I don’t know anyone within 5km (or even 10km) for the single social bubble.

I’m feeling hopeless and frightened by the months of lockdown that are now likely ahead for Sydney, and the thought that I’ll be spending them so isolated. I feel alone in my experience when most others are living with partners, children, friends, or at least housemates. Many still seeing colleagues at work every day.

I know everyone has it tough now for many different reasons. Having social contact is such a basic human need that I’m starting to feel like I’m not a human.

I guess that’s all I wanted to say.

I know I could use the phone line/chat, but I find that hard, and having it confirmed that there’s not actually anything I can do to improve my situation (I’ve already explored this with the help of my psych) is too heartbreaking to hear.