FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Work and Anxiety

Louise117
Community Member
I suffer from long term generalized anxiety but at the moment am experiencing extreme anxiety related to work. I am finding it hard to return and am currently taking unpaid leave. Can anyone suggest fresh career options that might suit someone with anxiety problems. I work in aged care atm and have also worked in an office. Anything with a small team structure would be the kind of thing I have in mind.
3 Replies 3

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, and welcome to beyond blue.

Earlier this year I had a number of weeks off work due to stress related (anxiety) issues from work. There was a time when I was told by those around me to just quit my job cause it was not good for me and do something else. I did not know at that time what the something else might be. One of those who gave me suggestions was my mother who gave me the following ideas ...

- Coles

- Bunnings

- Get a Cert IV and do TAFE teaching

The first two options were there to keep me busy until I my real goals in place. As far as what work for you, there are a couple of possibilites, and these were mentioned to me by my psychologist (well, the first one was)...

1. Are there jobs you can at your current work place that won't raise your stress levels. For example, for me, I work in IT (developer) and programming was one task that was unhelpful. Now I am doing documentation writing and testing.

2. The other items is something I talked about with my psych, but the idea came from an app on my phone. The app is a companion to a book my psych wanted me to read. It has a popup that asks "are you moving towards or away from your values". From this, what are your values and what sort of work would you be aligned to you values?

There is also the issue of managing the anxiety. How are you going with distraction and coping tools? Do you know your triggers? Can you tell yourself these are just thoughts? (Trust me, this is easier said that done! I have a hard time accepting or believing an alternative view myself.)

Hope to hear from you soon,

Tim

Thanks Tim I appreciate your reply.

I am considering what you have shared. I wonder what options I would have if I were to discuss this with my manager. I currently have permanent day shifts that I am scared to loose unless I have something better to go to. I'd love to start my own business but I know that is easier said than done. Buying a lottery ticket is tempting I have to say!

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Louise117,

There were 2 people in my life that told to speak with work about what I was going through. The first was my mum, and the second was my psychologist. I honestly cannot remember if I did speak with work immediately after I had spoken with mum, because the next thing that I did was make an appointment with my GP, who would refer to me to the psychologist. My psychologist did tell me what to do with my time. Things like 1 hour lunch, without phone calls or other interruptions etc. And she then asked me if I could tell my work everything she had said. I said YES, because I am a people pleaser. But I was also a bit scared at the same time, as I was being forced/persuaded to become more assertive. It worked. And there is a feeling or moment of happiness when you think to yourself, "YES I can do this".

Being scared of losing something is something I am also familar with. Despite how much I dislike(d) my job there was/is a certain safety element vs jumping into the unknown. Which is why my plan is transitioning out via a Diploma, and then resume the BTh. It is a values thing.... I have an app called on my phone called ACT companion, that has notifications, and it asks me whether I am moving towards or away from my values! Creates moments for reflection.

What sort of business would you like the start?

Tim