FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

crazycatlady13
Community Member
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted on the BB forums, I was doing very well mentally but since the pandemic hit I've been dealing with a lot of anxiety.

I think had my first ever anxiety attack two nights ago and I was so scared. I had trouble going to sleep, felt a pang of nausea, was trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in but couldn't. Then I started sweating very heavily and I just couldn't stop tossing and turning for the whole night, I literally had no sleep and could not relax at all! I ended up getting up from bed, walked around a bit and it helped me relax a little. But I wasn't sleeping well. I couldn't control my mind. I couldn't think of happy things that I usually do before I fall asleep.

Has anyone experienced that before? Its very scary because it was my first time, I didn't know what to do.

Last night I did a bit better, I slept for 2 hours straight because I was exhausted from the previous ordeal, but then suddenly woke up sweating again. I am not sure if its my clothes but I had to take off some layers and opened a window. I couldn't really sleep again but I ended up using the 'Smiling Mind' app to help me sleep which actually worked!

Capricorn85
Community Member
It’s pretty complicated for me, I started having panic attacks in high school, 20 years ago and have lived with anxiety since. I get really caught up in my head and lose track of the moment. My face can go really red and my heart races. I usually get anxious when I’m feeling comfortable because I’m scared that something bad will happen

Hi PanicButton

Welcome to the forums and thankyou for being a part of the discussion too! You mentioned 'I am just exhausted of the mental and physical drainage. Especially during COVID' I hear you loud and clear...my anxiety has increased since Covid as well

You are always welcome to start up your own thread as you will have responses that provide more effective support....as this thread topic turns over so quickly...Only if you want to that is 🙂

Hey Mattw....Thankyou for being part of the discussion. I feel your pain/anguish as I had the same horrible symptoms as yourself in my 20's. You are proactive with your health and taking all the necessary steps. Just a friendly note.....Your GP can be a huge help with these feelings...Most GP's have a better understanding about anxiety now than even 10 years ago...Making a double appointment and having a talk can provide some welcome peace of mind.....especially while waiting for our appointment with a psychologist

Hey crazycatlady13...I understand and feel your symptoms....they are awful and yes scary to experience too. I hope you can have a look at my symptoms that I posted on the 1st or 2nd page of this thread. This Covid virus has many people feeling super anxious....You are not alone... at all...Great to see you on the forums too!

Paul

Hello Capricorn85

Welcome to the forums and thankyou for your post too!

I understand what you are going through as I used to have the same symptoms and they are awful

If anxiety starts to interfere with our ability to function on a day to day basis then we really can benefit from seeing our GP as they have a better understanding about anxiety than even 10 years ago.

You mentioned 'I usually get anxious when I’m feeling comfortable because I’m scared that something bad will happen'....This is a very common symptom of anxiety....as we are 'anticipating' the anxiety returning. Having anxiety for 20 years would be a drain Capricorn85.

I used to have chronic anxiety that started in my early 20's....I do know that the earlier we seek some support the better our recovery :-).....I wish I did!

great to have you as part of the forum family Capricorn85

my kind thoughts

Paul

Hi Mattw, yeah totally not alone. It is frustrating when the feeling keeps changing all the time. The minute you have got used to a new symptom and understood it is anxiety related there appears the new thing, even worse than the previous one. For me it has always been the physical part that has been the most difficult to handle as it can be so severe. One time I read an article about MS disease and without thinking about it further I developed a sever vertigo that lasted for 3 months!!! Got me through all the tests and imaging before I finally admitted it was anxiety related and then one day I woke up in the middle of the night half of my body paralised. Took a couple of minutes to regain feeling in that side and scared me pretty badly. I just wish there would be a pill that would take the physical symptoms away but cannot live on sedatives all the time.

Mattw
Community Member
blondguy unfortunatly my GP is useless ive been going over my symptoms with him for a year but does nothing, when the cardiologist listed in my plan to see a psychologist ASAP he questioned it and i told him i was being anxious all the time and i was afraid of dying you know what he said to me...."we all die sometime" i need another doctor but the clinic i go to has alot of the facilities built in to it like blood test the cardiolgist and the psychologist.

PanicButton im with ya mate...i just wish all these damn symptoms would stop, the one i get alot is the rush of fear over little things like the dog shaking a little bit which causes me to think of the shaking feeling and feel a rush of flight or fight feeling out of nowhere

Peaktop
Community Member
I feel sorry for everyone who goes through this. I had a strong anxiety attack last night and i thought initially it was like a heartburn but I jsut had salad for dinner and i felt like I wanted to vomit. I went outside the house for fresh air and my body was shaking. I was thinking to go to my neighbours and knock the door to feel better but then I was so scared that I have a heart attack. I feel my jaws tightened and I am always stressed. I am a single father and I have even more stress when I have my little kids with me scared that something will happen to me that will scare them and they could not do anything. I always carry my phone with me even when I go from room to room within the house. I bought a blood pressure tester and my blood pressure was 150/90 last night when I had the anxiety attack. I don't have appetite and I lost 7 kilos since May. I see (online) a psychiatrist and I am learning how to defuse the negative thoughts but the theory is something different to the actual.

Sandro
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Gucia6

As someone who has experienced anxiety amongst other mental health issues over the last 10 years or so, those symptoms certainly resonate. I would suggest seeking a diagnosis from your gp and look at what could be the underlying factor/ causes to then apply treatment options. Good news is there are many treatment options and one that has done wonders for me is meditation and mindfulness. A daily routine is also something that I stick to and also eases my anxiety and gives me structure, walking , reading , listening to a fav podcast and my iTunes playlist is also great along with eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water. Hope this helps a little and good luck 🙂 ,

Take care and stay safe,

Sandro

Sandro
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tahlia

Sorry to hear you're having a bit of a tough time. I have experienced those feelings many times over the past 3 years experiencing crippling anxiety and distressful thoughts. I can tell you that I am now in a really good head space and even though you can not see it at the moment things will get better for you. I am not a medical practitioner and I hope you are getting the support you need, if not I would suggest seeing your GP. Throughout my journey I have done allot of work on myself and controlling my mind and body, the main reason Im in a good place these days is through meditation and mindfulness along with exercise , reading , eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water. The video clip that started to change my thinking and was lucky to receive is one called "Bob Proctor Reveals The Secret To Overcoming Anxiety" on youtube. I watched it every day for 30 days , I had little faith at the start and struggled to understand it but when it started to sink in I started feeling relief. Anyway the main reason for my message is to let you know things will and do change and get better, keep up being brave and stay strong

Good luck and hope this helps a little

Take Care

Sandro