FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Gracie63
Community Member

Ive had 2 really good days and now out of the blue it’s back. Went out to shops and was fine before I left and then on the way home headache kicks in , pain around chest area , nausea and lump in throat. Now got to stop my mind from looping all over the place . I have terrible O.C.D

Gracie63
Community Member
I have this fluttering in my chest (heart area ) and headache . I get very panicky and feel nauseas.

Gracie63
Community Member

Hey Lacie

yes I can relate to what you are saying as I to do not really understand where all my anxiety is coming from at this time in my life. I did have anxiety in my younger years but at 56 I feel like I’m at a good place in life so not sure where this is all coming from. I have had mri and heart checks and all is fine but I still get these awful fluttering feelings in heart , nauseous, headaches. Of course this sends my mind into a loop and I start thinking the worst. It’s awful when it comes on because it just seems to come from nowhere. Sending you hugs.

bluemoonbluesky
Community Member
I went out for a rigorous tennis session, the first real exercise in ages and was quite proud of myself. Thanks to anxiety and panic I had to give up the gym last year and have largely only been walking.

On the way home on the train after the session I started fidgeting, my breathing became shallow, chest pains, my heart rate increased and I had that all too familiar impending doom feeling. It's all consuming and I just sat there waiting until the last stop. Got close to home and was totally fine. No matter how many times the pattern happens it still affects me.

Very frustrating. Even worse is when I go through phases of bad dizziness and chest pains and go to the supermarket. My heart pounds and I just want to get the heck out of there ASAP.

cake my day
Community Member

Horrible stomach like cramps that makes me feel bloated and nauseating chest pains.

once i start experiencing these it gets to my head then the full blown irritated mood breaks out. something i really want to control and stop from happening cause i end up taking it out on those around. then my mind starts to really wonder out and overthinks everything. questioning everything and asking myself what if .......

Azza56
Community Member
I totally get what you mean. I’ve been light headed for several hours, at the moment it comes and it goes, and I’ve been having these random aches all over my head along with my left hand and forearm being weak/tight almost like it’s swollen. And I keep thinking to myself i might be having a stroke or some other super bad life threatening condition even though I’m only 17 I do smoke and have for about 6 years now so that just backs up those conditions and my mind just spirals out of control and that’s typically how an attack starts nowadays. I’ve been having nonstop symptoms for 2 months now and I’m really tired of all of it. My symptoms seem to like to present themselves mostly when I’m trying to go to sleep which really sucks but I’m pushing through and hoping my gp and psychologist will finally give me some proper answers.

Gracie63
Community Member
Yes it’s not good hey. I’m having them right now and I’m trying to stay calm but it’s hard. Got gp appt next week so hopefully I will get some answers as well. Sometimes the worst part is when my mind just starts going on this loop and I start thinking the worst.

Gracie63
Community Member
Yes I. can relate as I had my anxiety managed for years but now it’s like a full on assault on my body and mind. I’m not sure why it’s come back although have had a few stresses in life lately but nothing I thought I couldn’t handle. Hopefully GP will sort it out as I’m so over this , Always feels like I’m going to have a heart attack or something , get terrible palpations and racing heart although I’ve had tests and all is ok but my mind just goes to that place where I’m dying etc. It has really isolated me as I now get anxious having to leave the house.

Azizahaly
Community Member
I get a sickening feeling in my stomach - I cannot enjoy things fully and often very forgetful. It’s been a tough year for me and I’m struggling 3 days into this year. I made a mistake off the back of a very poor decision in hindsight and now I feel it will cost me the things I love the most

Renthehen
Community Member
Hi all....I've just joined this forum and suffer awful anxiety from time to time. I'm finding it especially helpful to know that there are people that think like me. I have OCD and fixate on medical conditions then spiral out of control. It's like a whole other person takes over my thoughts. I then get the usual physical symptoms of going to the toilet more often (it's like my brain is linked to my bowels!), lack of sleep and no appetite at all.
Does anyone else find the mornings the hardest? If so, what do you find works to stop the panic feeling or at least ease it a bit?